How Media Sees T2s, And Low Carb Lifestylers

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For example, the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutritionfound no association between carbohydrate intake and body mass in its latest evidence review and, with regards to diabetes, it concluded…

No significant association was found between total carbohydrate intake as g/ day and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus (RR 0.96, 95% CI 0.86, 1.08 for each 70g/ day increase; p=0.5).

from the article. This is true. Not because carbs dont play a major role, but because one has to have a pre-disposition to type 2 diabetes in the first place. Proof that carbs dont, in themselves, cause type 2.

In a typical meal, the meat provides the protein, the vegetables provide the vitamins and minerals, and the carbs provide the calories (plus fibre, protein, B vitamins and flavour).

I dont think the author knows how calories work........................no cals in protein or veg?

Sugar cubes are often used to illustrate the amount of refined sugar that is added to fizzy drinks, but in this instance the sugar was neither refined nor added, nor even in the food. It was the amount of glucose produced naturally by the human body as part of the digestive process; a rather different proposition.

this joker has no idea where glucose comes from, does he? its like the 'magic money tree' ideas.

I will stop there. The bolding is my work.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The comments are for the most part far more informed than the article..

Reactions: dbr10

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He's a well-known "think tank" (ie. special interest funded) shill for tobacco, so I don't place much value on his opinions, to put it mildly ;)

Reactions: dbr10 and Zilsniggy

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It's the Spectator, which has much in common with the Daily Fail.

Reactions: Debandez and dbr10

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. I saw the program in question. (Yep, as a diabetic.) & saw a completely different show to what was reviewed in the article..
... Even the "colon camera segment" suggested the right type of carbs in fibre foods, digested lower in the gut, helped lessen the chances of bowel cancer. Which is common knowledge. ;)

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
he's expertly qualified to spout his drivel at us all.
I stoped reading once I got down to this comment.
" If van Tulleken had acknowledged the laws of thermodynamics he would have debunked his own programme."

The minute some one starts trying to explain how the body works by with the laws of thermodynamics it's clear they haven't got a clue what there talking about. "drivel" is right.

So it begs the question why are you giving this guy the time of day and sending internet traffic "us" to his article making it seem more relevant than it is?

You need to learn to just ignore idiots. ;)
:bag:

Reactions: dbr10 and Jaylee

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So it begs the question why are you giving this guy the time of day and sending internet traffic "us" to his article making it seem more relevant than it is?
I think its important to see all sides of the argument and know what is being said out there. the good, the bad and the barking mad.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
He's a well-known "think tank" (ie. special interest funded) shill for tobacco, so I don't place much value on his opinions, to put it mildly ;)

Me neither, but this is what 'informs' public opinion.........

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I stoped reading once I got down to this comment.
" If van Tulleken had acknowledged the laws of thermodynamics he would have debunked his own programme."

The minute some one starts trying to explain how the body works by with the laws of thermodynamics it's clear they haven't got a clue what there talking about. "drivel" is right.

You need to learn to just ignore idiots. ;)

Oooh sorry, aren't we allowed to have a little rant? So sorry to waste your time. Perhaps I was interested in what others thought, because sometimes I doubt that my impressions of something are shared with everyone? Don't like it, fee free to scroll on by.......

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2018/06/...ttee-nutrition-sacn-declarations-of-interest/

Re the SACN referenced in the article. Quite a lot of conflicts with big food/pharma although the author may accuse me of being a paranoid keyboard warrior.
Evidence of lack, is not lack of evidence too.
The move towards non processed foods implies going low carb and having a vicious opinion piece like this with little discussion of the facts causes confusion at best and firmly positions the low carb diet as a fad being pushed by extremists whereas obesity is to be solved by common sense and knwledge of the laws of thermodynamics. I hope someone more knowledgable and erudite than I complains on Dr David Unwin's part!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
from the article. This is true. Not because carbs dont play a major role, but because one has to have a pre-disposition to type 2 diabetes in the first place. Proof that carbs dont, in themselves, cause type 2.

I dont think the author knows how calories work........................no cals in protein or veg?

this joker has no idea where glucose comes from, does he? its like the 'magic money tree' ideas.

I will stop there. The bolding is my work.
Good grief. It's drivel.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh sorry, aren't we allowed to have a little rant? So sorry to waste your time. Perhaps I was interested in what others thought, because sometimes I doubt that my impressions of something are shared with everyone? Don't like it, fee free to scroll on by.......
Think I'll take my own advice here. :confused:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its important to see all sides of the argument and know what is being said out there. the good, the bad and the barking mad.
I can see where your coming from here,
but I was alluding more to the "click bate" or "shared" aspect of an article like this one, it gets lots of hits so the publisher mistake that for popular or relevant and produce similar articles which are not properly researched in the aim to attract advertising revenue.

The quality, content and subject are of no importance only the number of views. ;)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can see where your coming from here,
but I was alluding more to the "click bate" or "shared" aspect of an article like this one, it gets lots of hits so the publisher mistake that for popular or relevant and produce similar articles which are not properly researched in the aim to attract advertising revenue.

The quality, content and subject are of no importance only the number of views. ;)
I used to subscribe to an eZine like this, but it soon became clear that it lacked integrity, so I have stopped reading it altogether, even though Dr Jason Fung has a regular blogspot in it, I cannot feel it has any authority,

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
'Dr. David Unwin ..... widely criticised by scientists....' oooh, I wonder why our NHS has given the go ahead for low carb and didn't I read somewhere about Low carb being given the CE label, too? I must retrace my steps.... Not!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Obviously the editor agreed article for press too.
I have no time for such rubbish and cheap writing.
End.