Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

thilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone, I'm Mathilde, 34, type 1 since 1996, I am British/German and usually live in North Germany. I have two tattoos (blue circles, did NOT realize what they symbolize at time of piercing!), I wouldn't say I was religious. I get angry easily about certain topics, otherwise not really. I swim and run. I love camping, have been (and am) in love. Fake tan looks awful on me. My favourite city is Amsterdam. Favourite films: Harold and Maude, The brothers Bloom, Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind. I studied psychology. The thing I like least about myself is getting all tense and unfriendly about small things, the thing I like best is my humour. I have been reading along for quite a while and decided to say hi at last.

Reactions: Prem51

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @thilla a couple of things.
Fake tan looks awful on me.
Fake tan looks awful on everyone!
And Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind is an amazing movie give yourself a pat on the back for having great taste. ( to be honest you had me at Brothers Bloom);)

:bag:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @thilla,
Welcome. Hiking, camping, swimming, running are great fun (and good shoes help, except for swimming of course !!) And being in love - wunderbar !!
I was diagnosed at age 13 and have been on insulin for 51 years here in Australia. When younger and (slightly more insane) I used to go on 7 day canoe trips through wilderness but now walking, kite making, kite flying and occasional kayaking are my exercise activities.
In Australia our healthcare system has been good to diabetics with discounted prices on gluco-meter and strips, syringes/needles and pump supplies. Access to insulin pumps is much quicker if one also takes out private insurance in addition to universal health care (Medicare) - medicare is funded by a tax on one's income and the Government negotiates with pharmaceutical companies and device makers to provide much less expensive medications and devices. For example, my insulin (Novorapid) prescription costs me AUD 40, whereas the company cost without Government support is AUD 240. I live in a 'lucky' country. Although 40 degrees C temperatures on several days in summer has me wondering at times !!!
At the 45 year mark on insulin I was experiencing instability of blood sugars leading to hypos mainly at night despite being on 4 to 6 injections of short-acting insulin and two of long-acting insulin. I was in danger of losing my driver's license and having my work place hours reduced. I was changed to an insulin pump and am much more stable and settled. And managing exercise is simplified by reducing basal pump seetingsd 20% or so for say 4 hours and watching for hypos 6 + hours later.
One thing that developed through all these years as a diabetic is my degree of obsessiveness
: about taking blood sugar readings, what to eat and not eat including choosing foods low in salt, low in Glycaemic index etc - and so I can be annoyed easily by the lack of availability of suitable foods in stores, by some of the attitudes of people towards diabetics and some limitations on what I can do. What my doctor points out is that such attention to detail has very likely helped me reach 51 years on insulin with only minor problems from diabetes: cataracts removed/replaced, release of carpal tunnel compression (tissue build up in wrist compressing nerves) and release of trigger fingers ( nothing to do with firearms, swelling of finger tendons leading to catching and sudden slipping of tendons)
As you quite rightly point out humour is the best medicine and I invite you to look at the humour section on this website and posts that reference humour.
I would be interested in how you manage your exercise, the cold weather and how your country looks after its diabetics.

thilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to posting, Mathilde. I am waiting, of course, for a photo of the tattoo. Sounds very beautiful.
haha! its really just a blue circle. Years after getting it done, in the middle of a a rough period diabetes-wise, I stumbled on the blue diabetes circle symbol and felt all dramatic. Luckily the dramatics have passed ;) I'll see if I can find one and thankyou for the warm welcome!

awfyblether

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
- What is your name?
Nick
- How old are you?
51 next month
- Are you male or female?
Yes
- Which country are you from?
UK
- Which city/area do you live in?
Cambridgeshire
- Are you religious?
I'd say spiritual
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
INFP
- Do you have any pets?
No
- Microsoft or Apple?
Android
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
Cycling
- Do you get angry easily?
How dare you
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
Not yet
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
That's a tricky one. My unfashionable taste may lead to judgement
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
I like music with a tune
- What is your favourite flag?
Rainbow
- Ever gone camping?
Yes, once forty years ago.
- Ever been in love?
Whatever love is as HRH once said
- Ever used fake tan?
No but I might
- Which countries have you visited?
All UK countries, Ireland and France
- Favourite city?
Edinburgh
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Neighbours
Friday Night Dinner
The News
I'm more of a wireless man
- List your five favourite films.
See above
- Are you wealthy?
Not financially if that's what you mean. But I feel wealthy in many other ways.
- Do you work? If so, as what?
I'm a funeral director
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
Pastoral Theology, history
- What do you like most about yourself?
I have a good sense of humour
- What do you like least about yourself?
I do not like my appearance.

thilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @thilla,
Welcome. Hiking, camping, swimming, running are great fun (and good shoes help, except for swimming of course !!) And being in love - wunderbar !!
I was diagnosed at age 13 and have been on insulin for 51 years here in Australia. When younger and (slightly more insane) I used to go on 7 day canoe trips through wilderness but now walking, kite making, kite flying and occasional kayaking are my exercise activities.
In Australia our healthcare system has been good to diabetics with discounted prices on gluco-meter and strips, syringes/needles and pump supplies. Access to insulin pumps is much quicker if one also takes out private insurance in addition to universal health care (Medicare) - medicare is funded by a tax on one's income and the Government negotiates with pharmaceutical companies and device makers to provide much less expensive medications and devices. For example, my insulin (Novorapid) prescription costs me AUD 40, whereas the company cost without Government support is AUD 240. I live in a 'lucky' country. Although 40 degrees C temperatures on several days in summer has me wondering at times !!!
At the 45 year mark on insulin I was experiencing instability of blood sugars leading to hypos mainly at night despite being on 4 to 6 injections of short-acting insulin and two of long-acting insulin. I was in danger of losing my driver's license and having my work place hours reduced. I was changed to an insulin pump and am much more stable and settled. And managing exercise is simplified by reducing basal pump seetingsd 20% or so for say 4 hours and watching for hypos 6 + hours later.
One thing that developed through all these years as a diabetic is my degree of obsessiveness
: about taking blood sugar readings, what to eat and not eat including choosing foods low in salt, low in Glycaemic index etc - and so I can be annoyed easily by the lack of availability of suitable foods in stores, by some of the attitudes of people towards diabetics and some limitations on what I can do. What my doctor points out is that such attention to detail has very likely helped me reach 51 years on insulin with only minor problems from diabetes: cataracts removed/replaced, release of carpal tunnel compression (tissue build up in wrist compressing nerves) and release of trigger fingers ( nothing to do with firearms, swelling of finger tendons leading to catching and sudden slipping of tendons)
As you quite rightly point out humour is the best medicine and I invite you to look at the humour section on this website and posts that reference humour.
I would be interested in how you manage your exercise, the cold weather and how your country looks after its diabetics.
Thank you for being so welcoming! I'm very happy with the German care-system at the moment! I have three sons, and converted to a pump before getting pregnant with the last one without having to argue much (put an end to rollercoaster nights and forgotten injections!). The first minutes of having a pump on made me feel complete in a way I hadn't realized I wasn't, if that makes sense. Having spent the first two pregnancies in a nine-month super hypo state, I applied for continual glucose monitoring for the third, and magically got that paid for too. Since then, CGM has become something that is paid for by medical insurance, for unpregnant people too, so I really can't complain. I pay a fixed price for insulin, but everything else is payed for at the moment (touch wood!). All Germans have to have an insurance plan that costs around 14,5% of your income, and that covers all the diabetic needs I have encountered.
It's interesting that you watch for hypos 6+ hours later after exercise. There's a book called the diabetic athletes handbook (Sheri Colberg), that suggests watching for hypos 9 hours after strenuous exercise. That explained a lot!! My Doctor looks blank when I say this. Yay for people with diabetes who write books! At the moment, I eat breakfast (around 40 grams of carbohydrate in form of fruit, with seeds and nuts to slow it down a bit), and run for 40 mins without bolussing. 9 hours later I switch my pump off for a while, or take less insulin for lunch, depending on how chaotic my day is turning out to be. For swimming, I do about the same, but leave pump off completely 30 mins before starting. Seems to work!
I was diagnosed at 13 too, and spent a very long time mainly ignoring my diabetes. I can't quite understand how I survived most of it, but then I, like you also wrote, have become a little (or very) obsessive about it.
It's great to here from people who have been on insulin for so long! We all know about starting out, but it's difficult to imagine the ongoing thing of it sometimes. A bit like marriages!

thilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @thilla a couple of things.

Fake tan looks awful on everyone!
And Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind is an amazing movie give yourself a pat on the back for having great taste. ( to be honest you had me at Brothers Bloom);)

The brothers bloom was a complete flop, so much for my taste! It has a (nearly) all star cast and goes on a bit, but you might like it!

pc01827

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!

pc01827

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

QUOTE="thilla, post: 1817230, member: 470774"]Thank you for being so welcoming! I'm very happy with the German care-system at the moment! I have three sons, and converted to a pump before getting pregnant with the last one without having to argue much (put an end to rollercoaster nights and forgotten injections!). The first minutes of having a pump on made me feel complete in a way I hadn't realized I wasn't, if that makes sense. Having spent the first two pregnancies in a nine-month super hypo state, I applied for continual glucose monitoring for the third, and magically got that paid for too. Since then, CGM has become something that is paid for by medical insurance, for unpregnant people too, so I really can't complain. I pay a fixed price for insulin, but everything else is payed for at the moment (touch wood!). All Germans have to have an insurance plan that costs around 14,5% of your income, and that covers all the diabetic needs I have encountered.
It's interesting that you watch for hypos 6+ hours later after exercise. There's a book called the diabetic athletes handbook (Sheri Colberg), that suggests watching for hypos 9 hours after strenuous exercise. That explained a lot!! My Doctor looks blank when I say this. Yay for people with diabetes who write books! At the moment, I eat breakfast (around 40 grams of carbohydrate in form of fruit, with seeds and nuts to slow it down a bit), and run for 40 mins without bolussing. 9 hours later I switch my pump off for a while, or take less insulin for lunch, depending on how chaotic my day is turning out to be. For swimming, I do about the same, but leave pump off completely 30 mins before starting. Seems to work!
I was diagnosed at 13 too, and spent a very long time mainly ignoring my diabetes. I can't quite understand how I survived most of it, but then I, like you also wrote, have become a little (or very) obsessive about it.
It's great to here from people who have been on insulin for so long! We all know about starting out, but it's difficult to imagine the ongoing thing of it sometimes. A bit like marriages![/QUOTE]

mojo75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m joanne 43 (too many questions I’ll keep it short and simple), been with hubby 25y , we have 4 (adult ) kids, I’m a full time carer for our 3rd daughter.
I hurt my back lifting her during a seizure and was stuck on a sofa for months and gained a lot of weight eating takeaways.
I started to lose weight with diet alone over 50lb but when I stopped losing blood tests showed under active thyroid and pre diabetes, 4 years of different diets and not losing I was diagnosed type 2 end of last year , got my blood sugars down to borderline in the past 6 months and don’t need metformin now but need help with a healthy diet I can live with and to lose more weight asap. Another 3st 5 at least.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The brothers bloom was a complete flop, so much for my taste! It has a (nearly) all star cast and goes on a bit, but you might like it!
"You had me at The Brothers Bloom" was a deliberate mis quote of Jerry Maguire.
I'm just impressed that anyone else has seen it. ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys. 10 days ago diagnosed with type 1. 35 years old and a shock to the system. On insulin injections twice a day and getting used to card counting etc. Any advice on snackinf through the evening. I take insulin twice a day before breakfast and evening meal yet arount 9/10 i feel hungry. Tried boiled eggs but not satisfying my hunger. Asked nurse about the insulin where i inject as i need but no answer as of yet, any advice greatly appreciated

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Cosstonecoldsaidso1 . Welcome to the forum. Welcome to the world of T1 diabetes.
There are going to be a lot of questions you'll need answers to over time. May I suggest that you go to the Type 1 sub forum.
You'll be asking the right people in the right place there.
Snacking late evening is always a challenge, a lot will depend on how well controlled you are. At the moment you are probably in the honeymoon period where things can be slightly easier to manage. Your first BS test when you get up in the morning is one of the most important, this will be largely affected by finding the right insulin amount. Eating, especially at night can play a huge part as well. Trial and error along with blood testing will help you the most.
One of my favourite late night snacks is a piece of banana with peanut butter, it works for me, but there are countless other options out there.
Post on the T1 sub forum and you'll get far more advice from some great, knowledgeable and friendly diabetics.

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys. 10 days ago diagnosed with type 1. 35 years old and a shock to the system. On insulin injections twice a day and getting used to card counting etc. Any advice on snackinf through the evening. I take insulin twice a day before breakfast and evening meal yet arount 9/10 i feel hungry. Tried boiled eggs but not satisfying my hunger. Asked nurse about the insulin where i inject as i need but no answer as of yet, any advice greatly appreciated
Hi, you may also be type 2 ...mis diagnosis is very common...a lot of type2s also use insulin..some medical experts have the opinion that a true type 1 is someone who is diagnosed in childhood and all others are type 2s...it is bit of a minefield subject...either way im sure you will get plenty of GOOD advice and suggestions from the forum in general...good luck

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Cosstonecoldsaidso1 diagnosis is a shock so take your time with getting to know insulin and how it works. As a forum we can use our experience to help support you but not to give medical advice so I do hope we can help support you through this challenging time.

If you would like me to move your post to type 1 and create a new thread for you then let me know by tagging me using @ and my name, hope this helps.

What is your name?
Siobhan

- How old are you?

Female

UK

Scotland

- Are you religious?
I'm a non-practicing Catholic

Fun, Shy, Weird

- Do you have any pets?
Nope

- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple

Dancing

Yeah

Just my ears

Panic! At The Disco
Cardi B
Sam Smith
Olly Murs
Bruno Mars

Alternative rock

Seychelles

- Ever gone camping?
Nope

- Ever been in love?
Nah

- Ever used fake tan?
Yeah

America, Ireland, England, France

- Favourite city?
New York City

Pretty Little Liars
Victorious
Orphan Black
Stranger Things
RuPaul's Drag Race

The Shining
Jaws
Incredibles
Love, Simon
Jurassic Park

- Are you wealthy?
I would say so, yes

Nope.

French
History
Biology
Chemistry
Music
English
Maths

My eyes

Body

DragonMom4

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!
My real name is Dawn but I prefer Dragonmom4 why I love dragons. I am 48 female from the United States. The actually state is Maryland on the east coast county is Glen Burnie. Yes, I am religious, I am a born again Christian. I read the bible all the time and if not the bible other biblical readings. I love to watch American Football, Go Ravens. I use to play a lot of sports in school and was running till I became sick in 1998. No I do not have tattoos or piercing other than my ears two holes in the lobes. I love music use to sing before COPD, Regular Easy Music; Rascal Flatts, Diamond Rio, Kenny Roger, Journey, Queen, Love Barry Gibb (use to say when little I was going to marry him, did not work out for me.) Barbra Streisand. Christian Music; Third Day, Bethel, Amy Grant, Russ Taff, Steven Curtis Chapman, Rich Mullins, Hillsong, Mercy Me, and Casting Crowns. There is more in both fields but did not want to bore anyone. Country and Praise music! Most as a child went would go camping but can not any longer I can not be in the sun due to medications and the CVS (Cyclic, Vomiting, Syndrome.1998) can not do temperatures to much above 75 and very low humidity. So I can not since I have become ill. Favorite flags are United States and Maryland. I love Israels Flag. I am right now in love that is. My second husband first passed away was a great love lost. He did everything for me and the children. After he past was able to kindle a great awesome love I had as a young teenager. We are together now and have been almost 15 years. Married last July 2017. I have been blessed and honored to have to great men in my life who not only loved and loves me and the children/stepchildren. Both were/are always there for me especially when I was/am sick. My second husband and I lost twins and then triplets. Had to have emergency surgery when I lost the triplets due to hemorrhaging, it was close. I have had the honor to marry both men and they were my best friends as well can/could tell them anything. Never had a fake tan. I am blonde I burn easy and then it tans.lol I have never been outside the US. I fear flying and small place or ones you can not get out of. Piney Mountain, Georgia it was beautiful and quite. We loved it there was hard to come home. My favorite television shows are Master Chef, Hells Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, NCIS all them, Scorpion, and Bones. Favorite films Man From Snowy River, Return to Snowy River, Somewhere in Time, Notebook, Oklahoma, Seven Brides for Seven Brother, When Sally met Harry, and Sleepless in Seattle. Far from it but If I had money it would be used to help others like me. I can no longer work but I used to work in a pizza shop for 20 years, then managed another. Music, Cooking, and Business 2 1/2 years of college now I study history and books. I love to be around people especially family, I love to cook, my house has to be clean, I love to Garden and I absolutely Love I mean Love my fur babies (3 dogs, Daisy 5 1/2, Sally soon to be 4 and Beethoven almost a year). Three words Honest, loyal and friendly. I always look for the good thing and make jokes when possible. Not being able to go out and do things, not being able garden anymore, not being able to run, and not being able to sing anymore. Having all of life great things taken from me due health. I am easy to get along with as long as someone is being honest and sincere. I do not like to be lied to because I always find the truth even when not looking for it.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Swearing, Liars.
Been awhile since I posted due to various health issues not just diabetic related and family problems ! But keen to become somewhat more active here as from now !

Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Toby
- How old are you? 45
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Sheffield
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Outgoing, Comical, Caring
- Do you have any pets? No
- Microsoft or Apple? Chrome
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Pool, Snooker
- Do you get angry easily? Only in very hot weather
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Ed Sheeran, Years and Years, The Vamps, Doug Church, Shaky
- What is your favourite flag? Philippines
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? N/A
- Favourite city? Blackpool
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Miranda, Dr Who, Holby City, Casualty, Judge Rinder
- List your five favourite films. Jungle 2 Jungle, Whose Harry Crumb, Police Academies 1, 2, 3
- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? NHS Volunteer
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Criminology
- What do you like most about yourself? Sense Of Humour
- What do you like least about yourself? Poor Eating Pattern

Reactions: kitedoc

GlitterSparkles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes

- What is your name?
- How old are you?10
- Are you male or female?female
- Which country are you from?uk
- Are you religious?
- Pick three words to describe your personality.kind funny happy
- Do you have any pets?i did have fish
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? dancing and swimming
- Do you get angry easily?sometimes
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? ear pirsing
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.adele little mix empir of the sun i cant think of 2 more lol
- Ever gone camping?no
- Ever been in love?no
- Ever used fake tan?no
- Which countries have you visited? italy
- Favourite city?new york
- List your five favourite TV programmes. spongbob , friends , bunsen is a beast, sanjay and craig , loud house
- List your five favourite films. greatest showman , harry potter , frozen , home , home alone
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!

Lily’s Mum

Include a photo here if you wish to.
IMG_1245.jpg

- What is your name?
Jane

- How old are you?

Female

England

Essex born & bred

- Are you religious?
Not especially

Friendly, compassionate, happy

- Do you have any pets?
A Greyhound called Lily

- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple

I’m a watcher rather than a joiner-inner thanks to my ****** back, but I like F1, men’s tennis (too much ‘grunting’ in the women’s game - drives me mad!), snooker, gymnastics

Not as much as I used to

Tattoos on my shoulders, wrists and ankle

I don’t really have favourites, it depends what mood I’m in. Anything from Bon Jovi to Alfie Boe to Chopin

Probably rock

Union Jack

- Ever gone camping?
No buy I quite fancy the idea of glamping

- Ever been in love?
Yes

- Ever used fake tan?
No

- Which countries have you visited
France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Norway, Israel, USA

- Favourite city?
Brighton

Eastenders, Kevin can Wait, Supergirl, Flash, Ru Paul’s Drag Race

Green Mile, Singin’ in the Rain, Shawshank Redemption, Elf, Hook

- Are you wealthy?
Hahahahaha! Nope!

not atm

Life in general

my ability to see things from another point of view

my depression

Reactions: kitedoc