Salt

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are all organ meats prohibited? I thought those from some animals were OK.
My first after school job was as a mother's helper to a Jewish family. I lost count of the amount of raw liver I chopped finely for their kids.

lindisfel

Expert
Are all organ meats prohibited? I thought those from some animals were OK.
Jews post Moses didn't eat blood and drained there animals before eating.
Yes, they classified foods as clean and unclean as do Arabs or people of the Islamic faith.

However salt was at a premium in the ancient world because it was used to preserve food. Roman soldiers were paid in salt and I guess the Dead Sea would be a good source for some.
There are old coastal disused salt pans to evaporate sea water all over uk.
The amount and use in the human body is problematical for some you guys are making hard and fast rules.

The salt sensitive term is inaccurate,
some people have more sodium in their bodies than the person who takes in masses of salt.
Re: they cannot get rid of the stuff, it poisons them.
I understand their may be many on here, even if a minority, who may be affected and having more salt for them will mean fluid retention and heart and kidney disease.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
My first after school job was as a mother's helper to a Jewish family. I lost count of the amount of raw liver I chopped finely for their kids.
Is it Kosher to have non Jews preparing their food?:)
I honestly can't see if an animal or human is in stasis why there should be more sodium in one area than another, all parts are fed by the same blood stream? So the organ meat angle seems odd to prove a point.

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it Kosher to have non Jews preparing their food?:)
No idea but nearly 55 years later I still remember it vividly. Just thinking about it makes me feel nauseous. Put me off liver for life.

Edited to add: feeding it to the kid in the high chair is also still vivid in my mind.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@lindisfel I thought you were genuinely asking how early man managed his electrolytes & I was just passing on what I had read &/or heard.

lindisfel

Expert
@lindisfel I thought you were genuinely asking how early man managed his electrolytes & I was just passing on what I had read &/or heard.

It is ok Safi there obviously has been an whole range of electrolyte inputs over human history.
And for the most part healthy bodies can compensate for this without us tinkering with it. Animals and early humans knew the food they needed.
We have lost our touch with nature.

I guess if people go from a high carb diet and have insulin resistance and go keto the body has a hugh shock.

Hyperinsulinemia hacks the RAAS and causes the body to retain sodium via increasing angiotensin 2, aldosterone increases and body stops the kidneys releasing sodium. The arteries constrict.

Low carb stops the above and brings down blood pressure.

The RAAS is designed to work on low salt because low salt causes the BP to drop and RAAS's proper function is to put BP up via increasing aldosterone.

Therefore low salt for a normal person causes the arteries to constrict and have higher aldosterone and retain sodium via kidneys. Not good as Donald Trump would say.

I see both sides of this equation because I have enough aldosterone to supply twenty of you guys!

Some of us take drugs to control the RAAS stop it working and bring BP down.
And incidentally get rid of more sodium.

D.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ya, its true. There is a possible relationship between additional adding of salt to prepared meals and an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. Scientifically it has been proven. I have already read an NCBI article regarding this.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ya, its true. There is a possible relationship between additional adding of salt to prepared meals and an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. Scientifically it has been proven. I have already read an NCBI article regarding this.
I doubt it’s the salt.. far more likely to be the food content of the meals.. carbohydrate being the cheapest ingredient.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

So a “possible relationship” - probably adding salt to a ready meal full of, well, all sorts of fun stuff.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I follow The Salt Fix's author James DiNicolantonio on Twitter. Seeing how medical advice for the last 40 odd years has been wrong, he may have a point.
His handle is @drjamesdinic
Geoff

p.s."This superb book busts many misconceptions around salt consumption. It's a must read". (Dr Aseem Malhotra, Consultant Cardiologist and adviser to the UK's National Obesity Forum)

edited to add p.s.

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I follow The Salt Fix's author James DiNicolantonio on Twitter. Seeing how medical advice for the last 40 odd years has been wrong, he may have a point.
His handle is @drjamesdinic
Geoff

p.s."This superb book busts many misconceptions around salt consumption. It's a must read". (Dr Aseem Malhotra, Consultant Cardiologist and adviser to the UK's National Obesity Forum)

edited to add p.s.
well I'm now down to a daily average blood glucose of only 4.8 mmol on libre with no high above 6.0 mmol even including dawn phenomenon, so currently I like The Salt Fix !

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one @CherryAA - I really enjoyed the book & am always happy to see the author pop up at conferences or on podcasts. I'm not sure if salt makes any difference to my blood sugar but I've never avoided it (beyond avoiding processed foods) & my blood pressure certainly hasn't suffered.

Ann_W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I posted about the salt problem before but I'll so it again.
I was chatting to a mother at my grandsons playgroup and she said that she had really sky high blood pressure since her son was born nearly three years ago and nothing the GP gave her would bring it down and the next step was putting her on blood thinners to see if that would help. She told me that she had cut all salt out of her diet as she was told this would help. I asked her to try for just a week to see if introducing salt back into her diet would help. The next week when I walked in the door she grabbed me and gave me a big hug and said that I had saved her life.. Said told me that her blood pressure was back to normal and the GP can't understand. She has been left with a bit of AF but is hoping that t will improve.

I've found that using a magnesium spray at night coupled with higher salt intake has significantly improved dreadful palpitations for me. Maybe it'll help with AF too?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So a “possible relationship” - probably adding salt to a ready meal full of, well, all sorts of fun stuff.

I doubt it’s the salt.. far more likely to be the food content of the meals.. carbohydrate being the cheapest ingredient.

Dear Friends,
Here, I am mentioning the title "Adding Salt to Meals as a Risk Factor of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Case–Control Study" that has published in NCBI in 2017.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been experiencing 'wobbly' moments, not exactly dizziness for a few days. It's a bit scary as I stumbled sometimes as if I was going to pass out. Anyhow, I have added sea salt to my food in the last couple of days and now feel much better. I have just ordered the book 'The Salt Fix' :)

lindisfel

Expert
You should quote the balanced part when he talks about those who retain sodium, have fluid rentention, high blood pressure and heart failure. There is a significant caveat there, that's why medics can give balanced advice. Nothing is black and white.
You talk in dogmatic terms Phinney is not a dogmatist.
D.

https://blog.virtahealth.com/sodium-nutritional-ketosis-keto-flu-adrenal-function/

This article by virta health explains what is going on . Yet another government recomended practise that appears to be nonsense. Currently it seems that the efforts to "improve" public health have done precisely the opposite on almost every count !

lindisfel

Expert
I have been experiencing 'wobbly' moments, not exactly dizziness for a few days. It's a bit scary as I stumbled sometimes as if I was going to pass out. Anyhow, I have added sea salt to my food in the last couple of days and now feel much better. I have just ordered the book 'The Salt Fix' :)

Please keep a check on your BP, Zand, I feel much better when my BP is too high like over 140/80, it went down to 115/70 the last two mornings and I felt grotty.
ATB
D.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please keep a check on your BP, Zand, I feel much better when my BP is too high like over 140/80, it went down to 115/70 the last two mornings and I felt grotty.
ATB
D.
Thanks, good point. Mine was 127/79 yesterday. It could actually be partially down to the fact that my BP is now lower than it has been for a while . Years back though my BP was always low and I felt fine on it, so maybe I need a while to adjust to it being lower again. Once when I was pregnant my BP was 80/50 and I was functioning OK. I would like it to be lower (but not that low!) so that I can get rid of a BP tablet at my next GP appointment.

I did have a tendency to faint occasionally in my younger years, but how I felt recently wasn't the same as that. I do feel much better now I have had some salt. :)