Diabetic With High Cholesterol And Highbp

Suffolk gal

I understand that lowering the carbs is definitely going to help the diabetes, but is higher fat content going to make my already high cholesterol higher still? I've been vegetarian for about 60 years, and the triple diagnosis has been a shock. I've received lots of advice on this site, which is great as I still haven't seen anyone medical since diagnosed, so am doing this thing 'blind'.

Reactions: kokhongw

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My understanding is that cholesterol will probably rise on going lchf, but it will settle down in time. I am resisting statins for now. I am also on BP tablets.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that lowering the carbs is definitely going to help the diabetes, but is higher fat content going to make my already high cholesterol higher still? I've been vegetarian for about 60 years, and the triple diagnosis has been a shock. I've received lots of advice on this site, which is great as I still haven't seen anyone medical since diagnosed, so am doing this thing 'blind'.
My blood pressure went down on LCHF and the threatened pills were never mentioned again (not that I would have taken them anyway). My total cholesterol has gone up but I now know enough to not be worried by this. God Trig/HDL ration low trigs and high HDL all reassure me that I'm fine.

Reactions: zand

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the results for my blood tests today, and cholesterol has gotten better. Even though I had taken statins for some time before the last test, but havent had them for almost a year now. Only difference is that I take less carbs (but not very low carb) and thus more fat and protein.

Suffolk gal

Thank you. If only life was simple! I've been trying hard with the lower carbs and think I'm getting my head round reading labels. It just seems so odd that things like cream are good, but I will definitely try and see what happens. I'm treating it all as a challenge, and my cv says I love a challenge. It's also so hot right now that my lunchtime walks have been put on hold. Sometimes I think my cv lies!

Reactions: Antje77

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. If only life was simple! I've been trying hard with the lower carbs and think I'm getting my head round reading labels. It just seems so odd that things like cream are good, but I will definitely try and see what happens. I'm treating it all as a challenge, and my cv says I love a challenge. It's also so hot right now that my lunchtime walks have been put on hold. Sometimes I think my cv lies!
very little of our cholesterol level is influenced by what we eat. I am sure others, with more knowledge, will come soon and give you more info. I know only about 15% of our total cholesterol level comes from diet, and some of that is good cholesterol

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed with bp 250/150 diabetes and cholesterol around 7.5 from memory, also all at the same time, I was described as a ticking bomb.

I did take lots of measures to reduce weight and exercise etc so I cannot say for sure that it was due to lchf but my cholesterol went down to 2.5 in 6 months, my triglicerides went from 2.5 to 0.6, I was eating as much fat as I could manage. (Edit to say, i could manage alot)

These numbers are from five plus years ago so cannot be certain, around about correct though.

Best of luck with your efforts.

Reactions: zand and Brunneria

Suffolk gal

Thanks Fenn. I think we get to the bad place so slowly we don't realise we're there. Hopefully the way back will be a little quicker, even if it is a forever path we will have to follow. I'm working on it. I've not had any nurse appointments yet, and dr don't give any advice, so I'm so grateful to all on here for advice and support. It's felt like walking alone in a dangerous place in the dark before I found this forum.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Suffolk gal
Can't help much with bp but if you're really worried about cholesterol levels cut back on the amount of saturated fats in your diet. The unsaturated types are not the bogey man. Your food labels will have a breakdown of the fat types. Mostly, low carb diets can tolerate more fat if you look at it in a logical way. We all need energy, every day just to sustain our bodies. Food is the fuel. Energy sources come from carbs, fats and proteins. There are no others. Naturally, if one reduces the carbs then an equivalent amount of energy must come from the remaining two sources. The extra fats get consumed for their energy. The 11,000 kJ per day that I need has to come from somewhere. I eat around 60 to 80g of carbs per day. This is only 1,000 to 1,300 kJ. The remaining 9,700 to 10,000 comes from fats and proteins. This is the primary reason why the increased fats aren't necessarily problematic. They get burned for energy. You will find that consumption of unsaturated fats and displacement of saturated types will improve HDL cholesterol and lower awful triglycerides. The word 'fat' unfortunately has been given a bad reputation over the years. There's fats and there's fats. Good fats and not so good fats. It's not a swear word.
Glenn

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am curious what a typical meal in your previous diet was like. Do you do any pre/post meal glucose testing? It will help identify the key triggers for high glucose/insulin response.

kathyjones

Hi, I can suggest you to treat high cholesterol level with natural methods such as healthy diet and light workout. The food rich in soluble fiber such as fruits, salad, oats, etc. must be major component of your daily diet accompanied with 30 minutes of brisk walk daily as suggested by Dr. Janet Brill, nutrition, health and fitness expert. Do not forget to drink 8-10 glasses of water daily. This routine can help you cut down your cholesterol. Moreover, Dr. Janet can also advice you specially on your condition that says diabetes with cholesterol.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I know just what you mean, we have to stand the usual healthy eating guidelines on their head (if guidelines can have heads!) The "Be good to yourself" shelves are now to be avoided, as they are filled with low fat high carb foods that are deadly for us. "For us" is key. For some people whose bodies can handle carbs, the Mediterranean diet may be best, but not for us. On the other hand, the lower the carbs the higher the fat we can tolerate, so enjoy your camembert, double cream, butter, sizzled chicken skin etc etc without guilt. Just don't ever combine high carbs with high fat. That's a recipe for disaster. Here is Jenny Ruhl:

"One Important Warning
When I went back and carefully reread the low carb research discussed on this page while working on my new book I found some new details, and a couple longer lasting studies that pointed up an important fact that did not come out in studies that lasted a year or less.
What they have to teach us is this: Low carb diets are very healthy as long as they are really low carb. But the bad news is that if your carbohydrate intake starts to rise over 120 grams per day, your diets will become very unhealthy unless you cut back on fat. A high fat intake is only healthy with a truly low carb diet.

The studies that convinced doctors in the 1970s that low carb diets were dangerous were all studies of people eating "low carb" diets of 150 grams of carbohydrate a day or more. And more recent research suggests that those diets are just as unhealthy now as they were then.

If you can control your blood sugar with a diet that cuts carbs to a level nearer 150 grams a day, as opposed to 100 grams a day, keep your fats to 30% of all calories and you'll be fine."

You can read the whole article here: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/19066498.php

Reactions: zand

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
very little of our cholesterol level is influenced by what we eat
In my case my LDL shot up to scary levels after I changed my diet from high carb to low carb. My trigs stayed low, roughly the same as when I was eating a very high carb diet, contradicting the argument I see repeated everywhere, that high trigs are caused by high carb not high sat fats.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case my LDL shot up to scary levels after I changed my diet from high carb to low carb. My trigs stayed low, roughly the same as when I was eating a very high carb diet, contradicting the argument I see repeated everywhere, that high trigs are caused by high carb not high sat fats.
I mean from ingested foods. The other 85% is made by our liver.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Trigs go up and down within hours and this is why we should fast before having lipid panels done. Cholesterol isn't a mechanism that can be altered as quickly. It is interesting to note that even a hyperresponder will have to adjust his/her diet for roughly two weeks before a lipid panel to manipulate results.

Suffolk gal

I am curious what a typical meal in your previous diet was like. Do you do any pre/post meal glucose testing? It will help identify the key triggers for high glucose/insulin response.
I'm not overweight, and never have been. I've been vegetarian for over 60 years so eat lots of veg for tea, salad for lunch and muesli for breakfast. I walk, on average, 2.5 miles per day and also walking at weekends and on holiday is a pure joy. I drink water and de caff tea. I've now changed the fruit I eat to get less sugar. I've also now cut out Monday treat of a slice of cake. I saw dr again today and he was very pleased with progress. So the way forward is more veg and nuts and less fruit.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not overweight, and never have been. I've been vegetarian for over 60 years so eat lots of veg for tea, salad for lunch and muesli for breakfast. I walk, on average, 2.5 miles per day and also walking at weekends and on holiday is a pure joy. I drink water and de caff tea. I've now changed the fruit I eat to get less sugar. I've also now cut out Monday treat of a slice of cake. I saw dr again today and he was very pleased with progress. So the way forward is more veg and nuts and less fruit.
Could you bear to ditch the muesli? Lots of people here eat a form of low carb porridge which involves coconut. I'm sure they'd be glad to offer you some recipes. As you cut carbs you may find yourself losing weight unintentionally. This has been a problem for me. Eating more nuts, avocados, olive oil or butter may help.

Suffolk gal

Thank you, yes if anyone would like to share those coconut breakfast recipes I'd be most grateful. I do use olive oil and love avacados, but they're not so keen on me, but that may change I hope.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, yes if anyone would like to share those coconut breakfast recipes I'd be most grateful. I do use olive oil and love avacados, but they're not so keen on me, but that may change I hope.
@Rachox Request for your breakfast piece de resistance!

Reactions: Rachox