Uht Double Cream?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Over the last few weeks the fresh double cream has been going off very quickly despite being refrigerated.
So I thought I would look for UHT double cream instead.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3746225
This discussion was up near the top of the discussions.

Tesco list a "double cream alternative" which seems very similar to Elmlea - that is, vegetable oil with a bit of whitener (freely admitted prejudice against).

Has anyone found an acceptable long life alternative to fresh cream?

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I've noticed the same thing so have switched back to a standard size tub of dc instead of the xl tub I was buying. It means sending out for it more often, though. Elmlea is awful stuff. I havn't seen any acceptable alternatives so far. Good luck.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Have you tried the Arla lactofree cream?
The milk seems to last for ages so wonder if removing the lactose would have a similar effect on the cream?
I haven't tried it but it my be worth a go.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/272153454

"Keep refrigerated., Once opened use within 3 days. Do not exceed use by date., After each use, reclose and refrigerate at once."

So the same shelf life once opened as alleged for fresh cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brill idea @DCUKMod.

I used to make a gorgeous hot chocolate made with cocoa, sugar, hot water and evaporated milk.
friends used to call round for it and beg. lol.
had to make in a saucepan to keep up with demand.

But when I dropped the carbs in milk, it went the same way. Also the sugar, of course.

Now considering if the Carnation tinned cream might be an acceptable sub...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brill idea @DCUKMod.

I used to make a gorgeous hot chocolate made with cocoa, sugar, hot water and evaporated milk.
friends used to call round for it and beg. lol.
had to make in a saucepan to keep up with demand.

But when I dropped the carbs in milk, it went the same way. Also the sugar, of course.

Now considering if the Carnation tinned cream might be an acceptable sub...
Would you believe they have removed some of the fat!
"56% less fat than double cream"
not bad on carbs 3.6g per 100ml

Reactions: dbr10

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you believe they have removed some of the fat!
"56% less fat than double cream"
not bad on carbs 3.6g per 100ml

I noticed that, but as a stanby for when something goes off or as 'mergency rations, at 3.6gr per 100ml, it didn't seem too dire.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed that, but as a stanby for when something goes off or as 'mergency rations, at 3.6gr per 100ml, it didn't seem too dire.

Completely agree but such a shame..
I'm also slightly put off by the way they call it "Topping" but ingredients list doesn't seem too awful. usually that's an indication of it not being as described.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Completely agree but such a shame..
I'm also slightly put off by the way they call it "Topping" but ingredients list doesn't seem too awful. usually that's an indication of it not being as described.

The naming will be some legal shenanigans intended to allow them to call it cream'topping while having a lower fat content.
This link gives an eye-opening table of what fat content goes into each of the UK single, double, whipping, etc. types of cream, and what is required to allow them to be named that way.
It also has similar tables for other countries, so well worth a look to appreciate how things vary around the world!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The naming will be some legal shenanigans intended to allow them to call it cream'topping while having a lower fat content.
This link gives an eye-opening table of what fat content goes into each of the UK single, double, whipping, etc. types of cream, and what is required to allow them to be named that way.
It also has similar tables for other countries, so well worth a look to appreciate how things vary around the world!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream
Fascinating thank you.
Interesting in France after much research and not listed there I found one called "Creme Cuisinier" which was UHT double cream almost.. about 35% fat and I carried a couple around with me during our hols. Only one restaurant had cream for my coffee. Even Starbucks in Monaco only had semi-skimmed milk.

Reactions: Brunneria

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy Jersey double cream sold by Longley farm it is extra thick and lasts long after the sell by date Morrison' sell it ,and even the single cream is thicker than normal double cream
Carol

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fascinating thank you.
Interesting in France after much research and not listed there I found one called "Creme Cuisinier" which was UHT double cream almost.. about 35% fat and I carried a couple around with me during our hols. Only one restaurant had cream for my coffee. Even Starbucks in Monaco only had semi-skimmed milk.
Curious that in France, where they take such a pride in their gourmet food, double cream should not be popular in coffee. For me the cream enormously enhances the taste and texture of the coffee, regardless of any low carb considerations. It is a pleasure that has been restored to me after many years of dutiful "healthy" low fat living, during which I tried to convince myself that coffee with skimmed milk tasted just as good if not better (it didn't!)

Reactions: DJC3

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy Jersey double cream sold by Longley farm it is extra thick and lasts long after the sell by date Morrison' sell it ,and even the single cream is thicker than normal double cream
Carol
I have just discovered Longley Farm Jersey butter (also in Morrisons). It is very rich and very yellow, but expensive.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Curious that in France, where they take such a pride in their gourmet food, double cream should not be popular in coffee. For me the cream enormously enhances the taste and texture of the coffee, regardless of any low carb considerations. It is a pleasure that has been restored to me after many years of dutiful "healthy" low fat living, during which I tried to convince myself that coffee with skimmed milk tasted just as good if not better (it didn't!)

Couldn’t agree more about coffee with cream. Every day I’m happy I can have it now, without guilt.

Reactions: Energize

wildfirejc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Kerrys do a really nice one - I buy the 1 Litre tetrapak from Bookers wholesale. They keep too...taste as good as fresh.