In-flight Meals!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
meal on plane.jpg
This is the "Diabetic Meal" I was served last week, in addition to the rice it included a date and fig compote!! and packet of crackers. About the only thing that was T2 friendly was the packets of cheese. Couldn't help but wonder about the competence of the dietician who constructed the "diabetic meal".

Last edited:
Reactions: xxTinksxx

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the "Diabetic Meal" I was served last week, in addition to the rice it included a date and fig compote!! and packet of crackers. About the only thing that was T2 friendly was the packets of cheese. Couldn't help but wonder about the competence of the dietician who constructed the "diabetic meal".
They are trying to kill you

D

Deleted Account

When I was first diagnosis she’d, I was told there is no point in eating anything which is designated as “diabetic”food.
This include airline meals as well as diabetic chocolate and “diabetic ice cream” (which I saw in Waitrose today).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, That sums it up. The only "good thing" is you get served first.
I felt like a complete unrepeatable in front of other passengers... This was a flight to india? (Gulf air.) I told my wife (Back then partner.) "Don't ever do this to me again.." When she "set this up" about 17/18 years back? To be fair, she thought she was doing the best at the time... We live & learn.

Reactions: Freema and AloeSvea

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
"SFML" might be a safer bet ... Seafood Meal. The airlines MUST specify the contents of each of the 20+ choices and then it's up to the catering companies to comply, but that is a ridiculous serving that is anything but sympathetic for T2s

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"SFML" might be a safer bet ... Seafood Meal. The airlines MUST specify the contents of each of the 20 odd choices and then it's up to the catering companies to comply, but that is a ridiculous serving
Unfortunately. Probably "nutritionally" based on a T1 set up... :banghead:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the seaside on Saturday the last entry on the board stating flavours at the ice cream kiosk was ‘Diabetic Vanilla’ and no I didn’t even bother asking!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the seaside on Saturday the last entry on the board stating flavours at the ice cream kiosk was ‘Diabetic Vanilla’ and no I didn’t even bother asking!
I would have been tempted just to wind up "Mr Whippy?" ;)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Couldn't help but wonder about the competence of the dietician who constructed the "diabetic meal".

I wonder how the airline would respond to a letter pointing out the error of their ways. It's worth baring in mind that from where dieticians and nutritionists stand at the moment, a diabetic meal is probably one that contains carbs with a low G.I.and avoids sugars, rather than low carb. Type IIs who choose to lower their carb intake are in a minority. I know several type IIs who wouldn't even consider giving up their bread/pasta/potato/rice, they just keep taking the tablets.

I was just looking at BA's offerings in advance of a trip to Mexico next September. You can choose from Lacto-ovo-vegetarian, Vegan vegetarian, Asian/Hindu vegetarian, Muslim, Kosher, child meal, baby meal, gluten intolerant, low fat, low salt, low calorie, low lactose and diabetic for which they say: "Does not contain sugars, syrups, jams, cakes and chocolate, unless they're specific diabetic varieties to help you manage your blood sugar levels". I suppose that's a start but considering the varieties they do I'm sure they could manage a low carb diabetic meal. Normally I've just left the bits I'd rather not eat, often thinking a bit of extra veg would be nice. I'll have to see what they say.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Couldn't help but wonder about the competence of the dietician who constructed the "diabetic meal".
The dietitian was probably going by the NHS Eatwell Plate advice.
I asked for a 'seafood meal' on my last flight, but that also included rice. I do eat the airline meals, though not the bread rolls usually. I always seem to get a low fbg the next morning for some reason, maybe the accompanying red wine.

Reactions: Goonerboy

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only ever, once, selected the diabetic option from the airline food menus, and wouldn't again. Gluten-free is a different kettle of fish, but that'll still be a "pick the bones out of that" situation.

Airlines will be going by their country's dietary guidelines in putting these things together, so there surely can be zero surprise that this occurs. I only selected the diabetic meal once - to see what it was.

Thankfully, my chosen breakfast option, on that long-haul was a full english breakfast. I swerved the OJ and toast, but needed neither anyway.

Reactions: paganlady

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks blooming 'orrible, diabetic friendly or not, what is that brown stuff? I don't bother asking for a 'diabetic' meal as there is no point especially on a plane or anywhere else for that matter, what organisation knows what a 'diabetic meal' is anyway, how does it differ from the rest of the food that gets served up and it all looks yuk and unhealthy. I just take snacks to eat, cheese, nuts etc. It's similar to that question about biscuits being offered in a hospital, can we really expect anyone other than ourselves to feed us properly! Thanks for posting, another fine example of sheer ignorance from the 'authorities' and society in general.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Rachox, I wish you had have asked, I am extremely curious as to what that contained.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 27501 This is the "Diabetic Meal" I was served last week, in addition to the rice it included a date and fig compote!! and packet of crackers. About the only thing that was T2 friendly was the packets of cheese. Couldn't help but wonder about the competence of the dietician who constructed the "diabetic meal".
I'm sure its perfectly "Eatwell" compliant .... based around starchy carbs after all.
I'm more surprised you are surprised...thats why I always fast when flying..

Reactions: Prem51

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
A letter to the airline is called for! I have only ever told the airline I was type 1 twice, and that was when I flew to Oz and I thought best I do "JUST IN CASE". They did ask me if I wanted "special" meals to which a stern reply of NO was enough lol. Fair play to them they checked up on me all through the flight. Air Garuda where amazing :)

D

Deleted Account

You can choose from Lacto-ovo-vegetarian, Vegan vegetarian, Asian/Hindu vegetarian, Muslim, Kosher, child meal, baby meal, gluten intolerant, low fat, low salt, low calorie, low lactose and diabetic
As a non-meat eater, I user to go for Lacto-ovo vegetarian. However, I got bored with pasta for every single airline meal.
I now ask for Asian vegetarian and get some reasonably tasty curries with a little rice which is easy to avoid. I also get strange looks from the aircrew who are not expecting a pale, pasty red-head when they search out the recipient of the special meal.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

Below are the nutritiion facts for Frank's Vannilla Diabetic Ice cream if that is the same.
Nutrition
Typical Values per 100g
Energy (kJ) 675
Energy (kcal) 161
Fat (g) 7.3
of which saturates (g) 6.1
Carbohydrate (g) 19.7
of which sugars (g) 13.8
Fibre (g) 0.5
Protein (g) 4.1
Salt (g) 0.1

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Below are the nutritiion facts for Frank's Vannilla Diabetic Ice cream if that is the same.
Nutrition
Typical Values per 100g
Energy (kJ) 675
Energy (kcal) 161
Fat (g) 7.3
of which saturates (g) 6.1
Carbohydrate (g) 19.7
of which sugars (g) 13.8
Fibre (g) 0.5
Protein (g) 4.1
Salt (g) 0.1

How or why do they call it "Diabetic Ice Cream"? I know....they can charge extra for it!!!!!
I have always stayed clear of "Diabetic" labelled items. Always contain a shed full of carbs OR are a good laxative lol