Anyone With Type 1 And No Complications

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I'm 6.5 years in and no complications so far.

I aim for tight control all the time (non-diabetic levels) , then if do I get complications I can at least say I've tried my hardest and have no regrets.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Now, I'm worried: I have diabetes and lift weights.
I hope that doesn't make me macho!

Not at all, helensaramay, I was just trying to diminish our readiness to see every physical problem as being as result of T1. I’ve encountered many people who don’t have T1 yet develop conditions such as cataracts, carpal tunnel, rotator cuff injury, trigger finger et al, but we often seem to think that they happen to us because of T1.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
46 yrs T1

No complications currently

Have had laser and eye injections but not for a few years.
Eat and drink what I want when I want and just inject as needed
Libre trial I've been on for 4 months (out of 6) is a help as has changing from Novorapid to quicker acting Fiasp to help keep in target range quicker.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
6 years diagnosed and had background retinopathy around 3 years after diagnosis which went then came back this year, apart from that have had tendonitis in my shoulder and thumbs which I related direct to my T1 but since i've started running last year it's gone :)

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Nearly 37 years Type 1. Main complications I have is neuropathy but that is also due to twenty years alcoholic drinking (haven't drank for fourteen and a half years) but apart from that all is good. Background retinopathy has now gone, Eye consultant told me three months ago my eyes are grade A considering being Type 1 for so long. Have never had any laser surgery on either eye.

No real routine, fundamentally eat whatever I want (within reason) and just give whatever I need insulin wise. Have never carb counted once. Have been fortunate considering..

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll have had T1 35 years in October and have a little background retinopathy, and receding gums copying my hairline, but I smoke, mild carpal tunnel in my left wrist but that's from guitar barre chords rather than sugar and I've broken the wrist twice fighting playing rugby, my shoulders click and can stiffen but the worst side was dislocated once over again playing rugby and when I was heavier I lifted heavier, and I' hurt my right one bouncing down the M1 at 70mph when I fell off my Vespa :) I swim 3-4km a week which can either help or hinder.

I've a dodgy left knee at the moment too :p but again not a complication.....

gillianoleary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Baby corns. Wrong, wrong, wrong in so many ways!!
44 with 42 years under my belt. No complications just lots of other autoimmune disorders.
Fighting fit, LCHF diet, don’t drink or smoke (I have done both)!!
Any ailments usually a result of coming off my bicycle!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @static192 ,

Just had my "diaversary." Diagnosed on my 8th birthday 42 years ago... All appendages accounted for.
Currently treated successfully for a macula oedema.. Abated & kept an eye on.. (They always "blame it on the boogie" when you're diabetic.) ;)
No other probs. "Wedding department" like a teen.! :D (Scrub that. Better than a teen. Lol, better D managed.)

Reactions: kitedoc and kev-w

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No other probs. "Wedding department" like a teen.! :D (Scrub that. Better than a teen. Lol, better D managed.)
Sorry but that would need a second opinion from your better half.:):):):)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ni @static192 , 51 years on insulin: cataracts replaced 6 years ago, carpal tunnel release L and R, 22 years ago, trigger fingers releases 20 and 4 years ago. Nil else. Living in Australia MIGHT have advanced the timing of the cataracts.
Kidneys, heart, bone density, peripheral circulation all OK. A suspicion that I might have some blood pressure drop related to possible autonomic neuropathy but not a definite diagnosis at this stage.
I walk with weights for exercise, fly and make kites and do not drink alcohol. (my superego would dissolve in the latter!).
When younger ( and less sane) I participated in week long canoe trips and hiking trips, cycled and swam.
I think exercise helped and helps me stay healthy, and trying to plan ahead, keep sane and happy all help.
Of course, genetics and luck are also involved.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wow you guys are in really good shape great to hear you guys are doing well. would you guys say exercise helped alot to prevent complications a friend of mines was saying addition to insulin/medication exercise such as weight training and cardio can help greatly help prevent diabetes complications what are your views on this

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had T1D for just short of 42 years. I don't really have any complications, though it has caused me some stress over the years, which seems to reduce significantly the longer I use Freestyle Libre. All that stress has created quite a few complications, but I don't think they are the ones you're asking about.

I wouldn't put it down to brilliant control though, though I don't know really. For some reasons I seem to remember the high blood sugars far more than the normal range blood sugars, looking back I can't remember any, but there must have been some. I just don't remember them, so I might be thinking my control was worse than it really was.

However, there are three things that I think have been important, as well as reasonable blood sugar control. One is luck, some people are just luckier with their genes than others. I think some people are just more prone to some complications.

Another is I've always walked a lot, and the third is that I have always really liked fruit and veg, and eat a lot of it. The bio-active compounds in fruit and veg, are apparently neuro-protective.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
6 years diagnosed and had background retinopathy around 3 years after diagnosis which went then came back this year, apart from that have had tendonitis in my shoulder and thumbs which I related direct to my T1 but since i've started running last year it's gone :)

I've had shoulder and neck problems, (pinched nerves and arthrosis, doctor said could be type 1 related) but those went away when I started running again recently too. Running is great. Avoiding weights though, that's how I got into shoulder pains when I young, lifted too many weights.

No permanent complications after 25 years of type 1, perfect kidney function, no retinopathy at all either but my vision did get blurry temporarily from a few months of concentrated bad sugars. Which turned out to be not so bad since my A1C was 6.1. But anyway, A1C doesn't tell the whole story, sugar variance can be poor even if your averages are great, which is why I wonder when people say they have super low A1C, if they achieve that via having lots of hypoglycemia to balance highs or are they just really well controlled. I hope it's the latter, as hypos are no joke and most endos tell their patients to not even try to get A1Cs below 6 for that reason.

Apparently some of the longest lived type 1s have A1Cs in the 7s. (Google "Golden Age Cohort"). I can only imagine how bad their sugars readings must be to have such a high A1C though. Risking my eyesight is not worth it, if I went blind that would be my worst nightmare, I'd probably check out early if that happened. That's the line in the sand that I will not cross.

Reactions: kitedoc

PatB3031

Hi...56 years on insulin with no related issues. I remember being told that my frozen shoulders 25 years ago were diabetes related. Turns out it was using a rowing machine everyday for 3 years that did it...suprise suprise. Exercise is great for anyone and for diabetics I believe very important. Everyone is so different understanding your own body and its reactions to medication, foods and exercise will be the only way to bring whatever level of stability you want to achieve.

Reactions: kitedoc and Diakat