Can you become type 1 after being type 2 for 15 years

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I am type one and was diagnosed 5 months ago at the age of 26.

My dad is type 2 and was diagnosed around 15 years ago, his diabetes has never been well concerned with his last HBA1C at 86.
My first hbac1 was 56 (my diabetic nurse was really pleased)
After saying to dad he needs to change his diet and get his under control as he is losing his sights and gets ulcers etc he has started testing regularly and making notes of his sugar levels.

He has just told me his diabetic nurse said his diabetes is changing to type 1..
I feel pretty annoyed as he was never supportive when I was diagnosed amnd was wondering whether you can become a type 1 after being a type 2 for 15 years?

Thanks

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No - they are different dIseases - T1 is an auto immune disease T2 is more a disease of metabolic dysfunction - both intefere with blood glucose levels but through different processes
It is possible for type 2s to reach a point where insulin is necessary in order to control blood sugars well enough, particularly when it is / has been uncontrolled.
It is also possible for people diagnosed with type 2 ( and type 1?) to have been misdiagnosed and to actually have LADA or monogenic diabetes

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlett91

sugarbombs

was wondering whether you can become a type 1 after being a type 2 for 15 years?
Thanks

yes you can, type 2's have to pump out insane amounts of insulin, as their pancreases burn out they are no longer able to produce the same amount until eventually their beta cells just die off, so they switch to being type 1's, this is documented

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes you can, type 2's have to pump out insane amounts of insulin, as their pancreases burn out they are no longer able to produce the same amount until eventually their beta cells just die off, so they switch to being type 1's, this is documented

Yes some type 2’s end up being unable to produce insulin and then their situation is like type 1 diabetic where they need to inject insulin , but many times thet still have a very High insuline resistance which most type 1’s do not have and therefor need still to eat less carbs and maybe even have higher doses of insulin

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Documented where? You can be a T2 or a T2 requiring insulin. That DOES not make you a T1.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In the instance you describe, sugarbombs, the person would still be T2, but T2 due to a developed insulin insufficiency. T1 is an autoimmune condition where the boy's own immune system destroys ability of the pancreas to work. They're hsitologically quite different.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Scarlett91 - If your Dad goes onto insulin, his treatment might well well become very similar to your own, but unless he was mis-diagnosed all those years ago, then he'll remain a T2, but become insulin dependent.

T2 are sometimes misdiagnosed at the outset, but that misdiagnosis usually becomes clear in the early period of months, or a year or so, as more meds are added to their lists, but absolutely nothing works for them. After 15 years, that seems less likely.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So being T2 precludes an autoimmune response to pancreatic cells?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have to answer yes, if its possible for a person to develop type 1 at any age, I assume there is no reason why a person with type 2 could not develop type 1, effectively making them both type two and type one lol

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So being T2 precludes an autoimmune response to pancreatic cells?
No, but T2 does not change/progress to T1 - which was what I saw the original question as being (which was asked about 1/2 a year ago)

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
This is why I call myself insulin dependent with severe insulin resistance.

I am originally type LADA, (so a variant of type 1 auto-immune). I am also type 2, I have severe insulin resistance. The number of nurses who have told me I can't have both, or have asked which type I want to be labelled as is horrifying.