1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can you become type 1 after being type 2 for 15 years

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Scarlett91, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Scarlett91

Scarlett91 Type 1 · Active Member

So I am type one and was diagnosed 5 months ago at the age of 26.

My dad is type 2 and was diagnosed around 15 years ago, his diabetes has never been well concerned with his last HBA1C at 86.
    My first hbac1 was 56 (my diabetic nurse was really pleased)
    After saying to dad he needs to change his diet and get his under control as he is losing his sights and gets ulcers etc he has started testing regularly and making notes of his sugar levels.

He has just told me his diabetic nurse said his diabetes is changing to type 1..
    I feel pretty annoyed as he was never supportive when I was diagnosed amnd was wondering whether you can become a type 1 after being a type 2 for 15 years?

Thanks

2. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

No - they are different dIseases - T1 is an auto immune disease T2 is more a disease of metabolic dysfunction - both intefere with blood glucose levels but through different processes
    It is possible for type 2s to reach a point where insulin is necessary in order to control blood sugars well enough, particularly when it is / has been uncontrolled.
    It is also possible for people diagnosed with type 2 ( and type 1?) to have been misdiagnosed and to actually have LADA or monogenic diabetes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #2 Boo1979, Jan 27, 2018 at 2:39 PM
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  3. sugarbombs

sugarbombs · Newbie

yes you can, type 2's have to pump out insane amounts of insulin, as their pancreases burn out they are no longer able to produce the same amount until eventually their beta cells just die off, so they switch to being type 1's, this is documented

• Like Like x 1
  4. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

Yes some type 2’s end up being unable to produce insulin and then their situation is like type 1 diabetic where they need to inject insulin , but many times thet still have a very High insuline resistance which most type 1’s do not have and therefor need still to eat less carbs and maybe even have higher doses of insulin

5. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

Documented where? You can be a T2 or a T2 requiring insulin. That DOES not make you a T1.

Edited by Mod

• Agree Agree x 1
    #5 Mike D, Jul 27, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2018
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

In the instance you describe, sugarbombs, the person would still be T2, but T2 due to a developed insulin insufficiency. T1 is an autoimmune condition where the boy's own immune system destroys ability of the pancreas to work. They're hsitologically quite different.

7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

@Scarlett91 - If your Dad goes onto insulin, his treatment might well well become very similar to your own, but unless he was mis-diagnosed all those years ago, then he'll remain a T2, but become insulin dependent.

T2 are sometimes misdiagnosed at the outset, but that misdiagnosis usually becomes clear in the early period of months, or a year or so, as more meds are added to their lists, but absolutely nothing works for them. After 15 years, that seems less likely.

8. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

So being T2 precludes an autoimmune response to pancreatic cells?

9. Fenn

Fenn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would have to answer yes, if its possible for a person to develop type 1 at any age, I assume there is no reason why a person with type 2 could not develop type 1, effectively making them both type two and type one lol

10. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No, but T2 does not change/progress to T1 - which was what I saw the original question as being (which was asked about 1/2 a year ago)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Seacrow

Seacrow LADA · Well-Known Member

This is why I call myself insulin dependent with severe insulin resistance.

I am originally type LADA, (so a variant of type 1 auto-immune). I am also type 2, I have severe insulin resistance. The number of nurses who have told me I can't have both, or have asked which type I want to be labelled as is horrifying.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook