Metformin Good But Bad Side Effects So Trying Berberine

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a T1 diabetic (for 30 years) on insulin pump with CGM so have a real time view of what my blood sugars are doing. I have been on a low carb diet for nearly 20 years (the only carbs come from any veg I eat - not potato) and still have suffered with completely erratic blood sugars indicating insulin resistance is still a big problem. I started on metformin about 6 weeks ago and for the first time I can remember actually felt as though I have some control over what is going on! Unfortunately the side effects that come with taking metformin (for me) are unbearable (mainly bad stomach and associated pain/bloating/and the rest) so I am giving berberine a go.

Just been for my hba1c (which even after just 6 weeks on metformin I expect to be a vast improvement on my last one) and am planning to stop the metformin and start on berberine (tomorrow if the berberine arrives)..

I also have my cgm uploads to compare weeks on different meds.. lets see how it goes..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a T1 diabetic (for 30 years) on insulin pump with CGM so have a real time view of what my blood sugars are doing. I have been on a low carb diet for nearly 20 years (the only carbs come from any veg I eat - not potato) and still have suffered with completely erratic blood sugars indicating insulin resistance is still a big problem. I started on metformin about 6 weeks ago and for the first time I can remember actually felt as though I have some control over what is going on! Unfortunately the side effects that come with taking metformin (for me) are unbearable (mainly bad stomach and associated pain/bloating/and the rest) so I am giving berberine a go.

Just been for my hba1c (which even after just 6 weeks on metformin I expect to be a vast improvement on my last one) and am planning to stop the metformin and start on berberine (tomorrow if the berberine arrives)..

I also have my cgm uploads to compare weeks on different meds.. lets see how it goes..

What a shame you didn't get along with Metformin. Did you try the Extended Release variant, or just the standard version? ER tends to be tummy friendlier.

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What a shame you didn't get along with Metformin. Did you try the Extended Release variant, or just the standard version? ER tends to be tummy friendlier.

Initially went on normal but after a couple of weeks went onto the slow release which did initially seem better but has got really bad again.. I think my digestive system may have something to do with it as (due to autonomic/internal neuropathy) my whole digestive system is extremely slow and I must take metaclopramide to get my stomach to even empty.. I guess I know I've got metformin to fall back on if the berberine does not work but am really hoping this will have an effect..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Initially went on normal but after a couple of weeks went onto the slow release which did initially seem better but has got really bad again.. I think my digestive system may have something to do with it as (due to autonomic/internal neuropathy) my whole digestive system is extremely slow and I must take metaclopramide to get my stomach to even empty.. I guess I know I've got metformin to fall back on if the berberine does not work but am really hoping this will have an effect..

Oh dear. Did you start really slowly? I woner if a really small dose to start with would be OK and a very slow increase. Sometimes it seems the speed of titration makes a realy difference.

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh dear. Did you start really slowly? I woner if a really small dose to start with would be OK and a very slow increase. Sometimes it seems the speed of titration makes a realy difference.

No I was so determined I could cope with any side effects I just went straight onto 2000mg a day quick release.. the bad side effects didnt come in til a fortnight later.. when I went onto the slow release the side effects went away at first then came back and have got progressivly worse..

The one thing I keep telling myself is that I know the metformin works.. so if I don't see good results with the berberine (like studies suggest I might.. I'm still hopeful) I can go back to the metformin and start on a lower dose and work my way back up.. the fact the side effects seem to get worse over time does not fill me with confidence.. but I have seen such great results I am prepared to give it a go.. if the herbs don't work that is!

M

Moggely

I would love to know how you get on with berberine I have heard a lot of good things about it.Good luck.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I was so determined I could cope with any side effects I just went straight onto 2000mg a day quick release.. the bad side effects didnt come in til a fortnight later.. when I went onto the slow release the side effects went away at first then came back and have got progressivly worse..

The one thing I keep telling myself is that I know the metformin works.. so if I don't see good results with the berberine (like studies suggest I might.. I'm still hopeful) I can go back to the metformin and start on a lower dose and work my way back up.. the fact the side effects seem to get worse over time does not fill me with confidence.. but I have seen such great results I am prepared to give it a go.. if the herbs don't work that is!

Penguin - Metformin works on a cummulative effect, so the first few doses have very little effect indeed. Iy's only when it has built uo in the system that it becomes most effective.

I wonder if you started in a low dose and didn't increase for a few weeks in between each increase if your system would cope better with it.

In your shoes, I might be inclinded to give that a go, with the extended release, due to it's usually gentler impact.

Worth a chat with the medics, perhaps.

Good luck with the Berberine. I know a few folks have tried it over time., but not sure if I recall anyone having game-changing results - although that could just be my memory.

I'l never taken Metformin or Berberine, so have no personal experience. I think @Brunneria might have given Berberine a go at some stage, but the same goldfish brain rules on my memory apply there too!

Reactions: ThePenguinPimp

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, start of half a tablet of slow release per day with a meal, don't increase the dose until you have had a few weeks without the side effects.

As I understand it, ringi, the extended/slow release tablets should not be halved, as doing so has a detrimental impact of their slowed rlease. Again, as I understand it, halving a SR tablet (breaching the coating), pretty much strikes out the ER/SR effect and it becomes very much akin to the standard release.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately the side effects that come with taking metformin (for me) are unbearable (mainly bad stomach and associated pain/bloating/and the rest)
Did you start with the lowest possible dose, taken with a meal and then build up gradually?

Sorry, I see this has been covered already.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As I understand it, ringi, the extended/slow release tablets should not be halved, as doing so has a detrimental impact of their slowed rlease. Again, as I understand it, halving a SR tablet (breaching the coating), pretty much strikes out the ER/SR effect and it becomes very much akin to the standard release.

Good point, it will depend on how the the slow release is done, and that may not be the same for all makes.

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I have reduced to one 1000mg slow release a day and am taking berberine at other times (I have now read a few studies which show they can work well together) and whilst I am still bloated the awful rest of the side effects seem to have mostly stopped. I am going to see how this goes. So far so good!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have reduced to one 1000mg slow release a day and am taking berberine at other times (I have now read a few studies which show they can work well together) and whilst I am still bloated the awful rest of the side effects seem to have mostly stopped. I am going to see how this goes. So far so good!

In your shoes, I'd be taking things very slowly indeed.

Fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: ThePenguinPimp