A Bit Disappointed

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I was diagnosed T2 last November with an HBA1c of 53. Since then my readings have fallen to 42 then 40, so whoopee, everything is going in the right direction. Except that I've just had test results and its back up to 42 again. Not a big rise, but worrying as I have stuck rigidly to my diet and kept up the exercise (A little less of late because it's been so hot, but still at least 30 minutes of intense/moderate exercise every day. Has anyone else had a similar trend in their results and seen the readings come down after having risen like mine, please?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A1c is a little like weightloss or weight maintenance in that it can fluctuate a little either way at times. A two point rise has to be taken in context, the A1c is an average and as such is not set in stone.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A1c is a little like weightloss or weight maintenance in that it can fluctuate a little either way at times. A two point rise has to be taken in context, the A1c is an average and as such is not set in stone.
That makes sense thanks.

Reactions: dbr10

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 last November with an HBA1c of 53. Since then my readings have fallen to 42 then 40, so whoopee, everything is going in the right direction. Except that I've just had test results and its back up to 42 again. Not a big rise, but worrying as I have stuck rigidly to my diet and kept up the exercise (A little less of late because it's been so hot, but still at least 30 minutes of intense/moderate exercise every day. Has anyone else had a similar trend in their results and seen the readings come down after having risen like mine, please?

As Guzzlerr suggests a little variance is reasonable. We're not automatons, and all sorts come into play as well as eating and drinking, exercise, stress, generral health, infections, sleeping patterns and so on. The following are my A1cs since diagnosis. I have in my head a band of A1cs I would be cntent with, and provided I run between those tracks, I'll be happy.

HbA1c:
October 13: 73 or 8.8% (How did that happen?)
February 14: 37 or 5.5%
May 14: 34 or 5.3%
August 14: 32 or 5.1%
November 14: 33 or 5.1%
May 15: 31 or 5.0%
October 15: 33 or 5.1%
September 16: 31 or 5.0%
November 17: 33 or 5.1%
March 18: A "bonus", unexpected test due to other bloods - 30 or 4.9%. I joined the 4s club!

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As Guzzlerr suggests a little variance is reasonable. We're not automatons, and all sorts come into play as well as eating and drinking, exercise, stress, generral health, infections, sleeping patterns and so on. The following are my A1cs since diagnosis. I have in my head a band of A1cs I would be cntent with, and provided I run between those tracks, I'll be happy.

HbA1c:
October 13: 73 or 8.8% (How did that happen?)
February 14: 37 or 5.5%
May 14: 34 or 5.3%
August 14: 32 or 5.1%
November 14: 33 or 5.1%
May 15: 31 or 5.0%
October 15: 33 or 5.1%
September 16: 31 or 5.0%
November 17: 33 or 5.1%
March 18: A "bonus", unexpected test due to other bloods - 30 or 4.9%. I joined the 4s club!
Thanks. I hope to get down into the 30's myself one day. I do like my berries, blackberries, strawberries in the main. Maybe I need to cut them down a little.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Is that a low carb diet? Would you like to share more details?
I eat low carb moderately high fat. I don't count carbs, but I never eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and little underground veg. My staple diet is meat, fish, cheese, seeds, nuts, berries with creme. I haven't varied this at all since diagnosis. My weight is now stable at 12 stone BMI 23.8.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat low carb moderately high fat. I don't count carbs, but I never eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and little underground veg. My staple diet is meat, fish, cheese, seeds, nuts, berries with creme. I haven't varied this at all since diagnosis. My weight is now stable at 12 stone BMI 23.8.
Perhaps in order to lower your A1c again, you need to eat a bit lower carb? I find that even the carbs in above ground vegetables, nuts and cheese all add up fast. The A1c test only gives a general indication. Day to day testing after meals is more informative, and the numbers you would see then are more important for your future welfare, which after all is what matters.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Perhaps in order to lower your A1c again, you need to eat a bit lower carb? I find that even the carbs in above ground vegetables, nuts and cheese all add up fast. The A1c test only gives a general indication. Day to day testing after meals is more informative, and the numbers you would see then are more important for your future welfare, which after all is what matters.
Depends on the type of cheese.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends on the type of cheese.
Yes, different types and also different brands of the same type of cheese vary in their declared carb content, from zero / trace per 100g to much more. Of course full fat cheddar will always be lower carb than eg cottage cheese, or any cheese that claims to be lower in fat, healthy or Lite, but one still needs to look at the label. Sadly, my favourite brand of camembert has 1g carb per 100g so I don't often buy it. And before anyone says it, yes, 1g of carb is not so much, until one is trying to get by on 20g carbs daily, when it takes on a whole new significance.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I wouldn't worry about a plus or minus 2.
If you are doing the same things, eating the same foods then there are so many variables outside your control - sleep, stress, pain - and that is just teh basics ones. Maybe consider another test sooner rather than later to ensure it doesn't go up to high.

And I agree totally that it could just be margin of error in the test.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My HbA1c was 49 on diagnosis, down to 44 at 3 month retest, then 39 after 12 months. I was disappointed too that at the following test it had gone up to 42. My next test isn't due until October but I expect it will still be around 42. I will be delighted if it goes down to the non-diabetic range, but happy if it stays below the diabetic range.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had my first 'annual revue' - despite being diagnosed in November 2016 - with a Hba1c of 91, and I dropped to 41 over a year ago - if it has gone lower I will be insufferably smug, of course - but if it is higher I can blame the exercise, which can raise levels, the alteration in times of eating, the very hot weather, sleep disturbance - all sorts of things might have caused a change in level - or prevented one - but 41 is the top end of normal - which could be thought of as bad - but being optimistic, it might also be considered close to average with an option for improvement. Looking on the bright side is no bad thing.
Don't let a minuscule rise alter how you feel or think about your diabetes, or yourself. Sticking to your exercise regime and your diet must have brought improvements in fitness and perhaps also in things not measured such as the feel of your skin - or even the appearance of your feet, due to improved circulation.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Hi

42 is good, and if it's sustainable and you are content with your diet and lifestyle then please do not stress yourself to be perfect, stress and anxiety are a not great for health, loving what you have is.

It will come down if you make small changes, like limiting strawberries for example, (I feel you on that one, they are one thing I miss.) over a months.

Ross

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, You have nothing to worry about - you still have a good result and should consider yourself stable!

For the past four and a half years (apart from one minor blip) my HbA1cs have varied between 40 and 43, so for me they definitely fluctuate slightly. But as long as there's no long terrn upward trend I certainly see no reason to bother my head about any such minor variations.

And as already mentioned other issues can affect our results, most of which we can do nothing about, so it's somehing we have to live with.

Riobbity

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
May I ask what your typical diet consists of? You may well be right that I need to reduce carbs still further, but I'm already avoiding all complex carbs and I really don't want to go neolithic:)

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just had my first 'annual revue' - despite being diagnosed in November 2016 - with a Hba1c of 91, and I dropped to 41 over a year ago - if it has gone lower I will be insufferably smug, of course - but if it is higher I can blame the exercise, which can raise levels, the alteration in times of eating, the very hot weather, sleep disturbance - all sorts of things might have caused a change in level - or prevented one - but 41 is the top end of normal - which could be thought of as bad - but being optimistic, it might also be considered close to average with an option for improvement. Looking on the bright side is no bad thing.
Don't let a minuscule rise alter how you feel or think about your diabetes, or yourself. Sticking to your exercise regime and your diet must have brought improvements in fitness and perhaps also in things not measured such as the feel of your skin - or even the appearance of your feet, due to improved circulation.
Thanks for the support. Yes, I have all the improvements you mention, so my disappointment is only slight. I think that a fall in exercise due to the heatwave is the most likely cause. I am being tested again in November, so fingers crossed.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just got my results - the other surgery I was sent to uses a different lab and the results come back overnight - but my Hba1c is now - 42.
Altogether now - 'Always look on the bright side of life, de dum de dum de dum de dum'