Stop Keto Now - The Mice Have Spoken!

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What's the problem with your mid morning numbers? What kind of stuff are you eating?

I get up a bit high around 114. I have tried 1 boiled egg with a tea and cream, had success for a little while but not now, have tried a slice of cheddar with the tea, also tried greek yogurt and cream with the tea, have tried eating nothing and having tea with cream and butter and also tried egg and bacon. What ever I try an hour on from my FBG I am up to about 142 - 146. 2 hours after my eating or not eating it is still about 10 - 14 higher than when I got up. Then it slowly comes down and by the evening (after a lunch of poss. an omelette with bacon or cheese), it reaches about 100 - 106. I am at a loss to find an answer.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get up a bit high around 114. I have tried 1 boiled egg with a tea and cream, had success for a little while but not now, have tried a slice of cheddar with the tea, also tried greek yogurt and cream with the tea, have tried eating nothing and having tea with cream and butter and also tried egg and bacon. What ever I try an hour on from my FBG I am up to about 142 - 146. 2 hours after my eating or not eating it is still about 10 - 14 higher than when I got up. Then it slowly comes down and by the evening (after a lunch of poss. an omelette with bacon or cheese), it reaches about 100 - 106. I am at a loss to find an answer.
Interesting.. have you ever tried just hot/cold water.. no tea or cream or any food at all from getting up until 1 pm just as a complete elimination experiment?

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting.. have you ever tried just hot/cold water.. no tea or cream or any food at all from getting up until 1 pm just as a complete elimination experiment?

No, I have not. I will try it tomorrow morning. For size I should have about 70g of protein a day, but when I add up the eggs, cheese, cream etc. then in the evening I have a good portion of meat with vegies or salad I thought maybe that was turning to sugar?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Um... have you ever tried an option without any cream, cheese, yogurt, or butter?

All the meals you mention have a single common feature - dairy.
You may (and this is obviously pure speculation on my part!) be dealing with a food intolerance that spikes blood glucose.

This happens with me with gluten/grains.
It took me a very long time to work out what was happening.

Reactions: AloeSvea

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I have not. I will try it tomorrow morning. For size I should have about 70g of protein a day, but when I add up the eggs, cheese, cream etc. then in the evening I have a good portion of meat with vegies or salad I thought maybe that was turning to sugar?
There seems to be quite some discussion in keto/carnivore world as to whether gluconeoenesis (the process you are talking about) is demand driven or just happens anyway. If demand driven (which makes more sense to me) then if your body needs sugar it will be made from protein but if it doesn't then this won't happen. I think at the moment its yet another dietary unknown. These days I have fairly "normal" blood sugars but eat well over twice my daily protein macro so.....

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Um... have you ever tried an option without any cream, cheese, yogurt, or butter?

All the meals you mention have a single common feature - dairy.
You may (and this is obviously pure speculation on my part!) be dealing with a food intolerance that spikes blood glucose.

This happens with me with gluten/grains.
It took me a very long time to work out what was happening.

Thanks for that. No I have not. It would be worth a try, I never give that a thought.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be quite some discussion in keto/carnivore world as to whether gluconeoenesis (the process you are talking about) is demand driven or just happens anyway. If demand driven (which makes more sense to me) then if your body needs sugar it will be made from protein but if it doesn't then this won't happen. I think at the moment its yet another dietary unknown. These days I have fairly "normal" blood sugars but eat well over twice my daily protein macro so.....

So protein does not seem to make sense then.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So protein does not seem to make sense then.
I have the strangest feeling that it could be individual but for me (which is the only experience I have) I would say no.
I'll be very interested to see what the water only does.. because if it is your body dumping out glucose into your blood at every opportunity then it should be just the same as normal but if it is a trigger then you may see some different results then we could re-introduce things one by one to see where the triggers are coming in.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the strangest feeling that it could be individual but for me (which is the only experience I have) I would say no.

I think I will eat today as I have been with a bacon omelette in a few minutes and we have roast lamb with vegies latter, then tomorrow morning just try to drink warm water (I have a problem with water, it makes me cough) and see what happens with my numbers and then not have any dairy for a few days either and see what that does, or do you think just do water in the mornings for a few days and then try leaving dairy alone? To do them one at a time and see if either helps. I might have to put a piece of lemon in the water to be able to drink it, other wise I cough and cough and have a job to drink it (mad I know).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I will eat today as I have been with a bacon omelette in a few minutes and we have roast lamb with vegies latter, then tomorrow morning just try to drink warm water (I have a problem with water, it makes me cough) and see what happens with my numbers and then not have any dairy for a few days either and see what that does, or do you think just do water in the mornings for a few days and then try leaving dairy alone? To do them one at a time and see if either helps. I might have to put a piece of lemon in the water to be able to drink it, other wise I cough and cough and have a job to drink it (mad I know).
I doubt the lemon in the water would have much effect so go for it.. I would be tempted to try it for a few mornings consistently just to see what happens.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt the lemon in the water would have much effect so go for it.. I would be tempted to try it for a few mornings consistently just to see what happens.

Thanks for help and @Brunneria for help too. I will be back in a few days to report my findings.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My wife fell for the WFPB smooth talk, bought the books and the expensive ingredients that I would not normally use myself. We tried s couple of the recipes from the book, and I spiked higher than I have done in the past 3 years (20+ mmol.l and above) and my levels were still above 10 the following morning on both occasions. I binned all the c***p she bought immediately and resumed LC diet. my daily bgl is currently averaging 6,6 mmol/l and last night I had jumbo battered cod and chips from thr chippie, and my 2 hr reading only rose 0.5 mmol/l and then dropped back to my fbg level by 4hr PP So for me a WFPB diet is a big No No

PS one of the meals we cooked was a vegan stir fry which normally would not spike me too much. Often on my LC diet I regularly do .a stir fry that is mainly vegetable with a small amount of say chicken or prawns in it, and I use shop bought sauce sachets for flavour and convenience, and can include egg noodles for bulk, I also have large portions of it and generally see a small rise that drops back nicely, so it is normally not a worry, But the WFPB variant was something else!!!!

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you know, when I have spent time researching for stuff for someone, and post links, and quotes from articles and all that in reply to them in the threads, I get a bit peeved when i get no thanks from them.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you know, when I have spent time researching for stuff for someone, and post links, and quotes from articles and all that in reply to them in the threads, I get a bit peeved when i get no thanks from them.
I have this take on it - I do research for my own education as well as for the forum, and often post links to nuggets I find. Sometimes it is a motherlode, other times it turns ino a turkey, I am not worried if people ignore it, since one day it may help someone and after all it is not my knowledge I am sharing, but someone else's source material that I share. I too learn from these googles that I do, so I gain as well. Your efforts will not be lost, and there are lurkers here who maybe prompted to pick it up or bookmark it for future use later. Knowledge is power to us all

Reactions: JohnEGreen

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
No such thing as an altruistic act ? Lol

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still it's nice to be acknowledged once in a while. Don't think anyone up for sainthood here certainly not me.
I did mark it agree, but then I saw your closing phrase, and felt that could be misconstrued and made personal, so I dis-agreed instead.