T2 Reversal In 3 Months - There Is Hope

Birch59

My wife and I were both told we had T2 3 months ago. HBA1C's 50 & 52 respectively. It was a bit of a shock to us both I can tell you, especially after reading all the possible consequences. The Dr's advice consisted of informing your life insurance company and to take Metformin from now on. By the time we saw the Dr, I had done some research on T2 reversal and said I was interested in a Low Carb diet approach. Good idea he said and gave me a Low-Calorie diet sheet!

We then saw the Diabetes nurse and asked about blood sugar monitoring. The response was that there is no need.

Underwhelmed by all this medical assistance I set about reading Reverse your diabetes (Dr David Cavan), The Piopi diet and then endless Youtube videos on different approaches to T2 reversal.

The net result of the research was to bin the Metformin and go for a complete lifestyle change. This consisted of a reduced carb diet, so no sugar, bread, rice, pasta or beer (liquid bread!). A selection of Mediterranean diet foods (Olive oil, Fish, Garlic Prawns, Salads, Kale, Spinach tomatoes Pecans Walnuts etc. Plus for a treat a couple of squares of 90% cocoa Dark chocolate!! This was then topped up with 30 mins per day of fast walking and in my wife's case cycling (on exercise machines)

We also watched the programmes like the trouble with Carbs etc and saw the effect of 2 months on an 800 Calorie a day diet.

We did not starve ourselves at all however and eating 3 meals a day over 3 months both lost 15 kg (33lb). 9 kg of which was in the first month. Who knew you could lose weight eating Steak & Eggs, Smoked Haddock Garlic prawns and lots of Salads covered in Olive Oil.

Ignoring the advice not to bother testing our blood after 2 months I purchased a BG monitor and set about checking our BG first thing in the morning and 2 hrs after eating various meals to see the effect different foods were having on our BG. I wished we had done this from the start.

We even gave up alcohol for the first month but then decided to allow red wine, and Gin & diet tonic as an occasional treat.

After 3 months we had our HBA1C tested again and to our amazement were told we were now not diabetics (HBA1C of 35 & 33 respectively). I'm even more amazed at this, as the reading is supposedly an average over the last 3 months so was hoping if things had gone well to get a pre-diabetic result.

I guess we can't get complacent and will have to maintain the lifestyle change to avoid problems in the future. Hope this helps others.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Birch59 Welcome to the forum :)

Well done on taking the initiative and doing something about it, it's great to read positive stories on what people have achieved and to inspire others.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The attitude of the nurse and doctor is - alas - only too normal.
I had my 'annual' review this week and the nurse told me three times that I had done really well with the diet - and seemed puzzled that I did not react with enthusiasm - I was being told that I should not deep fry food - I don't - that my cholesterol levels were putting me at risk from stroke or heart attack and I should stop eating about 80 percent of all the foods I do eat, due to them being dangerously high fat.
I nodded and tried to smile.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done both of you! How lovely in a strange kind of way that you were both diagnosed at the same time, you have a constant companion to bounce ideas off and to keep each other on the straight and narrow. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: zand

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Smashing work there by you and your wife. Feels good to buck the trend doesn't it?

Birch59

Very well done both of you! How lovely in a strange kind of way that you were both diagnosed at the same time, you have a constant companion to bounce ideas off and to keep each other on the straight and narrow. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

It really has helped a lot that we were both in the same boat. I guess it would be harder if only one partner had to make the changes.

I also thought it interesting that we were both diagnosed together. I guess we both had the same lifestyle and foods and both didn't exercise enough.

Reactions: Terrytiddy

Birch59

Smashing work there by you and your wife. Feels good to buck the trend doesn't it?

It does!! Problem is I am already thinking is it safe now to start introducing small portions of rice, potatoes and bread. Have you any experience of this once in remission?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does!! Problem is I am already thinking is it safe now to start introducing small portions of rice, potatoes and bread. Have you any experience of this once in remission?

I’ve had HbA1cs in the mid 30s since last September. I haven’t relaxed on the low carbing at all for fear of upsetting things. I enjoy the food I eat now so don’t really feel the need to anyway. I have however recently reduced my dose of Metformin and so far have had no noticeable change in my blood sugars :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Not yet. I was diagnosed in April of '17 so it may be too early to tell but to be honest I'm happy to live without the 'fillers' as I call them. I must point out that I have not reached remission as such, my A1c on diagnosis was 98, four months later it was 43 and I was happy with that and fully expect to reach non Diabetic numbers whenever I can be bothered to organise the next test.

Birch59

I’ve had HbA1cs in the mid 30s since last September. I haven’t relaxed on the low carbing at all for fear of upsetting things. I enjoy the food I eat now so don’t really feel the need to anyway. I have however recently reduced my dose of Metformin and so far have had no noticeable change in my blood sugars :)
Hi Rachox,
I'm surprised your Dr hasn't advised a reduction in the Metformin with readings in the mid 30's.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Great work but dont take your eyes off the ball, just carry on with your new life style and as long as you can keep your numbers and weight in check you should carry on seeing non diabetic HbA1c's.

I did the same as you when I was diagnosed 10 years ago I lost 5.5st (77lb) after my weight had risen to 18.5 stone and I was diagnosed with T2 and put straight on insulin! That scared the life out of me and I was determined to lose weight which I did over the next year or so, my current weight 10 years later is 12st 5oz (173lb) a shadow of my former self and Ive had HbA1c's in the low 30's for nine and a half years now.

I now eat pretty much what I like but still keep the carbs low'ish as I can still see double figures on my meter if I over do them, the last time was when I was on holiday in Wales earlier this year, I blame those pesky Welsh cakes ;)

So carry on the good work you have done so far and never look back...

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great that both of you found the path to recovery that continues to elude millions of newly diagnosed. We are the privileged few.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
These are amazing results – well done both of you. Having just also achieved something similar (although not as low on the Hb1ac) I know how good you must be feeling right now. Keep up the good work.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox,
I'm surprised your Dr hasn't advised a reduction in the Metformin with readings in the mid 30's.
The reduction was my idea not his! But done with his blessing.

Edit to clarify

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you do want to reintroduce carb foods it would be wise to continue with the blood testing. Your meter will let you know what is the limit each of you can tolerate.
Though if you are enjoying eating the low carb way why change?

Birch59

If you do want to reintroduce carb foods it would be wise to continue with the blood testing. Your meter will let you know what is the limit each of you can tolerate.
Though if you are enjoying eating the low carb way why change?
I do enjoy the low carb diet but miss a curry with some rice or some chips with my steak.

I'm also slightly apprehensive of the long-term effects of low carb, hence my modified version (reduced carb/Mediterranian diet)