What Do You Eat Post Workout/excercise On A Low Carb Diet?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I’m unmedicated so don’t eat anything after exercise aside from planned meals: no risk of hypo.

Are you on any medication? That may affect what you need to eat post exercise.

There are some very knowledgeable folks posting in the exercise section so may be worth asking there along with details of any medication.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you low carb and exercise, you can still have carbs to manage your BGs. For example, when I run I know I'll need 2 dextrose every 15 mins to maintain my BGs; whereas if I do weights, my BGs will rise so I know I won't need carbs.

If I find I'm hypoing after exercise - I'll take dextrose - you must always treat hypos with short acting carbs.

If you're on insulin you can adjust your insulin to suit. For example, on a morning without exercise I'll take 3 units of Novorapid for an omelette, whereas when I exercise in the morning, I'll need 1 unit.

There's a great book called Think Like a Pancreas that tells you how to moderate insulin as your pancreas would do.

Reactions: lefeilouss

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

What do you guys eat after a workout on a low carb diet? To prevent Hypos?

Kindly share
What medication are you on that will cause you to hypo after exercise?
Your profile doesn't say so it is hard to advice.
Depending on the exercise most people spike after it so a hypo should be the least of your concerns..

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It is not clear if you are on medications. I eat nothing either pre or post workout apart from drink either black coffee, herbal teas or water, as below elite levels of training for either strength, physique or body building there really is no need even for an advanced amateur to influence glycogen stores.

I personally train fasted both cardio and resistance combined; however this did take time to adjust to. I hit the wall in the early days, so added protein (sea bass) after a workout. Once I got fat adapted I was able to walk 5 miles at high intensity 140 ish heart rate, with less than 13 minute miles, followed by a 30 minute resistance workout. The pre-post workout protocols for me should be either avoided for Type 2's or performed under guidance for a specific purpose.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are controlling your blood glucose by diet then you should just react as normal, your liver will release glucose, your cells will burn fat - no worries.