How To Curb Cravings?

maitai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been bang-on with my diet since i've been diagnosed (july 26- almost at that 1 month mark!) but i've been missing junk food like crazy. I'm talking about the super unhealthy stuff (potato chips, fried chicken, ice cream, FRENCH FRIES FROM MCDONALDS etc) i'm just wondering how you guys curb your cravings?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very thin slices of hard cheese (Gouda, Cheddar), optionally with some curry powder/ paprika/black pepper/whatever, zap in microwave for between 1.5 and 2.5 minutes on greaseproof paper, let cool on kitchen towel.
Should be crispy, not chewy after cooling. If chewy, slice thinner or zap longer. Better than cheese&onion or dorito's.

Reactions: kitedoc and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried making your own fried chicken? You can make a great crispy coating using crushed pork scratchings. Dip the chicken in beaten egg first then into the crumbs - I often mix in some almond flour too.

Reactions: kitedoc

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried making your own fried chicken? You can make a great crispy coating using crushed pork scratchings. Dip the chicken in beaten egg first then into the crumbs - I often mix in some almond flour too.
I recommend this! You can also add mayo and Dijon with a few dried herbs, garlic powder, chilli etc, to the egg, whatever takes your fancy. The hardest part is crumbling the scratchings!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The cravings do not last long but the more often you wobble and give in to them the longer it will take to beat them. Carbs are addictive so you are basically going through a period of withdrawal. Low carb snacks including fat bombs help.

Reactions: Terrytiddy

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Willpower...
I heard of a case where the tempted person was scared of snakes. His wife placed a toy snake in the fridge.
He lost weight, funny thing that.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @maitai looking at your list , apart from ice cream. they seem very high in salt. Could it be salt that your craving? :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I heard of a case where the tempted person was scared of snakes. His wife placed a toy snake in the fridge.
He lost weight, funny thing that.

I do not mean to be argumentative but I am curious as to why you thought my comment deserved a 'funny'.
I was/am perfectly serious in what I said.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I do not mean to be argumentative but I am curious as to why you thought my comment deserved a 'funny'.
I was/am perfectly serious in what I said.
Apologies, @Guzzler, it was the 'fat bombs' part of your comment I found funny. I concur that the overall comment was serious.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Apologies, @Guzzler, it was the 'fat bombs' part of your comment I found funny. I concur that the overall comment was serious.

No probs. Just thought I'd mention though that fat bombs have helped me in my efforts to beat cravings and to stop too much weight loss after reaching maintenance levels. It's all good stuff :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I've ever known a carb craving to survive being blasted with either:

- a big chunk fof full fat cheese. Cheddar. Brie. Roquefort. Camembert. Yum.
- a low carb hot chocolate (made with hot water, cocoa powder, sweetener such as erythritol, and double cream)
- a bacon, egg and sausage breakfast (whatever time of day)

The key is to eat stuff you enjoy, that fills you up, eliminates hunger and keeps your blood glucose stable. Cravings can't really complete with those.

Reactions: maitai and Energize