1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How To Curb Cravings?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by maitai, Aug 19, 2018.

1. maitai

maitai Type 2 · Member

I've been bang-on with my diet since i've been diagnosed (july 26- almost at that 1 month mark!) but i've been missing junk food like crazy. I'm talking about the super unhealthy stuff (potato chips, fried chicken, ice cream, FRENCH FRIES FROM MCDONALDS etc) i'm just wondering how you guys curb your cravings?

2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like you need introducing to Oppo!
    https://www.oppobrothers.com/
    Ice cream aimed at the low cal market that happens to be low carb too. Available in Holland and Barrett, Sainsburys and Waitrose :hungry:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Very thin slices of hard cheese (Gouda, Cheddar), optionally with some curry powder/ paprika/black pepper/whatever, zap in microwave for between 1.5 and 2.5 minutes on greaseproof paper, let cool on kitchen towel.
    Should be crispy, not chewy after cooling. If chewy, slice thinner or zap longer. Better than cheese&onion or dorito's.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Willpower...

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you tried making your own fried chicken? You can make a great crispy coating using crushed pork scratchings. Dip the chicken in beaten egg first then into the crumbs - I often mix in some almond flour too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I recommend this! You can also add mayo and Dijon with a few dried herbs, garlic powder, chilli etc, to the egg, whatever takes your fancy. The hardest part is crumbling the scratchings!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

The cravings do not last long but the more often you wobble and give in to them the longer it will take to beat them. Carbs are addictive so you are basically going through a period of withdrawal. Low carb snacks including fat bombs help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I heard of a case where the tempted person was scared of snakes. His wife placed a toy snake in the fridge.
    He lost weight, funny thing that.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Terrytiddy

Terrytiddy Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi @maitai looking at your list , apart from ice cream. they seem very high in salt. Could it be salt that your craving? :)

10. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I do not mean to be argumentative but I am curious as to why you thought my comment deserved a 'funny'.
    I was/am perfectly serious in what I said.

11. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Apologies, @Guzzler, it was the 'fat bombs' part of your comment I found funny. I concur that the overall comment was serious.

12. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

No probs. Just thought I'd mention though that fat bombs have helped me in my efforts to beat cravings and to stop too much weight loss after reaching maintenance levels. It's all good stuff :)

13. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think I've ever known a carb craving to survive being blasted with either:

- a big chunk fof full fat cheese. Cheddar. Brie. Roquefort. Camembert. Yum.
    - a low carb hot chocolate (made with hot water, cocoa powder, sweetener such as erythritol, and double cream)
    - a bacon, egg and sausage breakfast (whatever time of day)

The key is to eat stuff you enjoy, that fills you up, eliminates hunger and keeps your blood glucose stable. Cravings can't really complete with those.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook