Weight Loss Question

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there. It is curious that you haven't at least lost fluid by going low carb and your jardiance should help you expel some of any sugars that you are eating. There is a good article on the site Diet Doctor on why women may find it hard to lose weight on LCHF though I'm sorry to say it does reference hormones.! I am 47 too and as we age we lose oestrogen which inhibits storage of fat around the middle which is very annoying. Re measuring it, grab a piece of string and measure your height, fold it up and see if you can get that string around the waist!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/women-hormones-and-weight-management

As others have said, focus on how much healthier you feel by having better blood sugars, eventually reducing the meds and also reducing your risks of heart disease etc. Weight loss i s NOT a linear thing and you may well still be adapting.

Thanks for the article. I've actually been in perimenopause since age 42 so it wouldn't surprise me if my hormones were all out of whack.

I know I've accomplished a lot in seven weeks. It's just the lack of weight loss has me discouraged, confused, and feeling like a bit of a failure. o_O

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks for the article. I've actually been in perimenopause since age 42 so it wouldn't surprise me if my hormones were all out of whack.

I know I've accomplished a lot in seven weeks. It's just the lack of weight loss has me discouraged, confused, and feeling like a bit of a failure. o_O
I also felt the odd one out on here as it seemed everyone was losing. So many success stories.
But out of the blue I started to lose. 3.5st loss too. I've readded 2st from having to stop metformin so I'm back to losing 1lb a week, if I'm lucky.
I woke this morning with better fbg due to increased basal insulin so my day started well.
Does your fbg look good every morning?

Jo123

Well done on normalising your blood sugar, that's the most important thing.

I low carb medium fat, when I first started low carbing It was very easy to maintain a good bmi, now I'm a bit older I do limit my fats and watch my food intake, I don't snack, it is a bit more of an effort than it used to be. I also stick to 'healthy fats'. I have to make sure I don't eat from boredom/stress basically when I'm not hungry, otherwise the weight does go on low carb or not!

Reactions: neithskye

Xan2cv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars, nose pickers and eaters especially in public view, sweaty arm pits, smelly feet, DVT's and PE's they hurt a lot. High Sugars.
wow, you lost 10 stones in 8 months? FANTASTIC result!!!!!
Yes and my weight is still dropping albeit more slowly now. My Doctor is aware of this rapid weight loss and says its ok to continue with the Duloxatine meds issued for neuropathy pain. Unfortunately Duloxatine does have its side effects at higher doses like loss of libido in some people particularly men. But considering the benefits of considerable weight loss and the pressure taken away from painful legs and knees from being over weight it has changed my life forever. I refuse to put the weight on again.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I am going to recommend you a Podcast too. Its is in American but does take a low carb, non diet approach and is a mix of motivation and science which you may find useful. Lots of useful stuff if you can get used to her accent! Its called Primal Potential https://primalpotential.com/

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes and my weight is still dropping albeit more slowly now. My Doctor is aware of this rapid weight loss and says its ok to continue with the Duloxatine meds issued for neuropathy pain. Unfortunately Duloxatine does have its side effects at higher doses like loss of libido in some people particularly men. But considering the benefits of considerable weight loss and the pressure taken away from painful legs and knees from being over weight it has changed my life forever. I refuse to put the weight on again.
have you had any issues with loose skin?

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also felt the odd one out on here as it seemed everyone was losing. So many success stories.

Does your fbg look good every morning?

Yeah, exactly. I'm not begrudging the success stories at all. Just everyone else is like, "I lost five pounds in the first week!" and I don't understand why I've lost nothing in two months when I have so much to lose.

I haven't been doing FBG. My doctor said I only needed to test two hours after meals. But I just tested now. I just woke and and haven't eaten for 14 hours. My BG was 6.2 mmol.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am going to recommend you a Podcast too. Its is in American but does take a low carb, non diet approach and is a mix of motivation and science which you may find useful. Lots of useful stuff if you can get used to her accent! Its called Primal Potential https://primalpotential.com/

Thank you. I'll have a look.

"It's in American." Heh. I'm Canadian so hopefully I won't have a problem with the accent.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food diary?

A week into my diagnosis I downloaded an app where you input your BG readings, medications and what time you took them, and a food diary. So I've been tracking everything I eat and at what time for six weeks. Hopefully the dietician at my September 6th appointment can have a look.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. I'll have a look.

"It's in American." Heh. I'm Canadian so hopefully I won't have a problem with the accent.
:joyful: Its in New Hampshire accent I think. Personally I find a Canadian accent much easier on the ear. I just find some of the food references need translating e.g. Twinkies and Thrive Market!