Eating Extra Fat On Lchf

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am just starting out on the LCHF way of eating and am finding it quite easy to follow, so far. I am concerned about all the extra 'good' fat I should eat as my Dr has told me to try and reduce my cholesterol levels. Is this not a contradiction?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kind of.. a lot of people report lowering cholesterol levels when eating LCHF. Whether you want to lower your cholesterol levels is something else that needs to be discussed... At your age and sex higher cholesterol levels are often viewed as protective.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am just starting out on the LCHF way of eating and am finding it quite easy to follow, so far. I am concerned about all the extra 'good' fat I should eat as my Dr has told me to try and reduce my cholesterol levels. Is this not a contradiction?
Not in my experience, only good fats, for me, saturated fat will not effect your blood glucose levels or have any symptoms. When going through my experimental stage of testing every conceivable ways of eating very low carb, my body reacted to vegetable oils, as I'm dairy intolerant, butter was out, and olive oil was not to my taste, but I have enjoyed a fry up in coconut oil in the past. Lard, goose fat or duck fat have a positive impact on my body.
Cholesterol before my diagnosis was a minor issue in the scheme of things and I was warned continually about my levels, however after a few months on very low carb, my health turned around and as a consequence, my cholesterol came off the concerned list. But I did nothing consciously, to improve my levels, just changed to a very low carb diet.
As you have posted in the RH forum, if you have any concerns about hypoglycaemia, please ask. As with all endocrine conditions, control is very important.

Best wishes

Reactions: Atlantico

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not in my experience, only good fats, for me, saturated fat will not effect your blood glucose levels or have any symptoms. When going through my experimental stage of testing every conceivable ways of eating very low carb, my body reacted to vegetable oils, as I'm dairy intolerant, butter was out, and olive oil was not to my taste, but I have enjoyed a fry up in coconut oil in the past. Lard, goose fat or duck fat have a positive impact on my body.
Cholesterol before my diagnosis was a minor issue in the scheme of things and I was warned continually about my levels, however after a few months on very low carb, my health turned around and as a consequence, my cholesterol came off the concerned list. But I did nothing consciously, to improve my levels, just changed to a very low carb diet.
As you have posted in the RH forum, if you have any concerns about hypoglycaemia, please ask. As with all endocrine conditions, control is very important.

Best wishes
Thank you so much for your very prompt reply. Kind regards.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you so much for your very prompt reply. Kind regards.

I have also replied in the greetings thread forum.

If you need help, please ask, and read the RH forum, it is full of similar Hypoglycaemic people like yourself.

Best wishes

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was able to get hold of some of my results from years past recently, and can now be sure that on the 'cholesterol lowering' diet, my numbers were not good at all and went up at each testing, and after going back to LCHF my numbers have gone down and the ratios have improved.
I do not believe that there is a direct correlation between cholesterol in the diet, in the blood and heart disease and other cardiovascular problems, as surely everyone can't be non compliant or failing to take their tablets and naughtily having strokes or heart attacks etc. but the figures do not show the opposite effects even with all the encouragement we gat.
The good fat is also not the PUFA oils we have been urged to use, but good old animal fats - who'd have guessed?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating extra fats hasn't done anything to raise my cholesterol levels; if anything they're actually (apart from one bit of a blip) slightly lower than before I started low carbing. But as I understand it, your body needs and makes most of its own cholesterol, so it's not dietary fat that's a problem.

Robbity

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was able to get hold of some of my results from years past recently, and can now be sure that on the 'cholesterol lowering' diet, my numbers were not good at all and went up at each testing, and after going back to LCHF my numbers have gone down and the ratios have improved.
I do not believe that there is a direct correlation between cholesterol in the diet, in the blood and heart disease and other cardiovascular problems, as surely everyone can't be non compliant or failing to take their tablets and naughtily having strokes or heart attacks etc. but the figures do not show the opposite effects even with all the encouragement we gat.
The good fat is also not the PUFA oils we have been urged to use, but good old animal fats - who'd have guessed?
Eating extra fats hasn't done anything to raise my cholesterol levels; if anything they're actually (apart from one bit of a blip) slightly lower than before I started low carbing. But as I understand it, your body needs and makes most of its own cholesterol, so it's not dietary fat that's a problem.

Robbity
Thank you everyone, I am learning a lot every day. Sedbet

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for this information and links, I will certainly read them.

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As a Newbie and non diabetic, I am finding some of the abbreviations used in this forum confusing. Would it be possible to have a list of the more common ones and their meaning. Thanks.

Reactions: kitedoc

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As a Newbie and non diabetic, I am finding some of the abbreviations used in this forum confusing. Would it be possible to have a list of the more common ones and their meaning. Thanks.
go to the home page and use the search facility for useful-abbreviations - that should find the place.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you're struggling with abbreviations or how different languages can mix some meanings, do ask. Some use different words or abbreviations to say the same thing.
As an example, we use blood glucose levels, in other countries it is blood sugar levels, or BG.
Another example is glucose tests.
This could mean anything, as a finger prick test with a glucometer, a blood panel test, oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT), for us RH ers an extended OGTT (eOGTT). It can be confusing!

Do keep asking.

Best wishes.

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you're struggling with abbreviations or how different languages can mix some meanings, do ask. Some use different words or abbreviations to say the same thing.
As an example, we use blood glucose levels, in other countries it is blood sugar levels, or BG.
Another example is glucose tests.
This could mean anything, as a finger prick test with a glucometer, a blood panel test, oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT), for us RH ers an extended OGTT (eOGTT). It can be confusing!

Do keep asking.

Best wishes.
Thank you, I have found all the abbreviations.

Could you explain exactly what happens with Post Prandial RA? My understanding is that, in response to too many carbs the pancreas 'floods' the system with insulin. Surely this must be too much insulin for the amount of carbs and consequently causes a hypo.

I am coping remarkably well on LCHF except I am finding it hard to eat enough fat. I eat loads of veg and put lots of butter on them. Also I eat a peanut butter sandwich with lots of butter as well and this is on Burgen bread. I cut it into 1/4s and eat it over a couple of hours with no problems.

Kind regards.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you, I have found all the abbreviations.

Could you explain exactly what happens with Post Prandial RA? My understanding is that, in response to too many carbs the pancreas 'floods' the system with insulin. Surely this must be too much insulin for the amount of carbs and consequently causes a hypo.

I am coping remarkably well on LCHF except I am finding it hard to eat enough fat. I eat loads of veg and put lots of butter on them. Also I eat a peanut butter sandwich with lots of butter as well and this is on Burgen bread. I cut it into 1/4s and eat it over a couple of hours with no problems.

Kind regards.

Do you mean post prandial RH?
If so, in my case, if I eat too many carbs (not much), the glucose derived is what quickly spikes my BG. Which means I have a weak initial insulin response. My pancreas reacts, due to the surge in BG, after about just under an hour, the secondary insulin response overshoot, causes my BG to drop eventually into Hypoglycaemic range.
So the best treatment for my type of hypoglycaemia is not to trigger the secondary insulin response, by not causing the spike in glucose, by avoiding the foods that do this, hence, a glucometer and lots of testing and a food diary.
My body is healthiest when my BG is in normal levels consistently.
When first diagnosed, your body would still be liable to high circulating insulin, high insulin resistance, because the excess insulin, causes insulin resistance and your liver to be fatty, it's the only way it can cope, hence the visceral fat, if you have weight problems. Being very low carb and eating healthy for you, will reduce the insulin resistance and insulin levels.
The weird thing for me, when I was struggling before diagnosis, my BG rose to just over 31, this was because my insulin levels caused this.
I adjusted my diet again! Then again after diagnosis. My so called healthy diet was making me worse, porridge, baked potatoes, low GI carbs were making me ill.

If you sum it up, what you eat, can make you very ill.
With RH it is really important to find which foods do this.

Your fat issues, will become less of an issue after a time, I wouldn't go to obsessive, you just have to be careful, at hidden ingredients, as I found out with potato starch, vegetable oils and fruit. My dairy intolerance would be a problem with the peanut butter, butter and cooked vegetables, yuk,!

Keep asking, knowing how and why is important.

Best wishes

Reactions: Atlantico

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you mean post prandial RH?
If so, in my case, if I eat too many carbs (not much), the glucose derived is what quickly spikes my BG. Which means I have a weak initial insulin response. My pancreas reacts, due to the surge in BG, after about just under an hour, the secondary insulin response overshoot, causes my BG to drop eventually into Hypoglycaemic range.
So the best treatment for my type of hypoglycaemia is not to trigger the secondary insulin response, by not causing the spike in glucose, by avoiding the foods that do this, hence, a glucometer and lots of testing and a food diary.
My body is healthiest when my BG is in normal levels consistently.
When first diagnosed, your body would still be liable to high circulating insulin, high insulin resistance, because the excess insulin, causes insulin resistance and your liver to be fatty, it's the only way it can cope, hence the visceral fat, if you have weight problems. Being very low carb and eating healthy for you, will reduce the insulin resistance and insulin levels.
The weird thing for me, when I was struggling before diagnosis, my BG rose to just over 31, this was because my insulin levels caused this.
I adjusted my diet again! Then again after diagnosis. My so called healthy diet was making me worse, porridge, baked potatoes, low GI carbs were making me ill.

If you sum it up, what you eat, can make you very ill.
With RH it is really important to find which foods do this.

Your fat issues, will become less of an issue after a time, I wouldn't go to obsessive, you just have to be careful, at hidden ingredients, as I found out with potato starch, vegetable oils and fruit. My dairy intolerance would be a problem with the peanut butter, butter and cooked vegetables, yuk,!

Keep asking, knowing how and why is important.

Best wishes
Once again, thank you for all your advice. As you say, the more you know, the better.

I am sorry there was a typing error, I was diagnosed in 2010 with Post Prandial Idiopathic Reactive Hypoglycaemia. I understand they have now dropped the word Idiopathic when diagnosing PPRH.

Kind regards.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Once again, thank you for all your advice. As you say, the more you know, the better.

I am sorry there was a typing error, I was diagnosed in 2010 with Post Prandial Idiopathic Reactive Hypoglycaemia. I understand they have now dropped the word Idiopathic when diagnosing PPRH.

Kind regards.

Hi again,
Idiopathic means unknown cause.
This was changed last decade due to modern diagnosis testing.
The medical profession particularly the top endocrinologists, have decided that scientific method of digestion and the hormones, alpha and beta cells, the overshoot and hyperinsulinaemia, the Hypoglycaemia is caused by the reactive episodes to carbs.
Treatment is still last century, because the general health advice is still to eat healthy or complex carbs.
That is like saying that if you have a peanut allergy, you can still eat them.
I have a list of intolerance, dairy, wheat, grains, all sugars, almost anything with carbs!
I avoid those foods.
I do believe that my RH, and the extreme diet, I have discovered suits me, has really saved my life, and given me my life back.
I'm weird, but my weirdness is mine, and I had to rely on my determination and strength of character when I needed it most. My future health depends on how I control the condition. It is all about what we put down our throat. There is no cure, no magic pill, only treating the condition as if the food that you have, won't cause the rollercoaster ride of hypers and hypos!

Best wishes

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Kind regards.

I do believe that you have the necessary posts to access the blogs, my story is there, the link is in box below. If not click on blogs and search for my blogs.

My weirdness is unbound!