Whoops!!!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight I had only half of my takeaway of Chicken biriani and bhindi bhaji.

11.1 at the 2 hour point.

I will take that as a resounding NO to me being able to eat rice again.:dead:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tonight I had only half of my takeaway of Chicken biriani and bhindi bhaji.

11.1 at the 2 hour point.

I will take that as a resounding NO to me being able to eat rice again.:dead:

Rice is overrated as is pasta, they are just designed to carry the more interesting stuff to your mouth! ;)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Cannot remember last time I had a take-away. We eat out but I push the carbs to other 3 or leave it behind.
Unfortunately a more expensive experience. So it doesn't happen often.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Rice is overrated as is pasta, they are just designed to carry the more interesting stuff to your mouth! ;)

I seriously miss rice... just loved it..... possibly a bit too much.....:(
Pasta and potatoes... meh....

cazipix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm newly diagnosed and still testing foods, had a similar experience and bye bye rice :( Have found steamed bags of cauliflower rice (wok fried with some seasoning, chilli and garlic) to be a good substitute though!

Haven't been able to say no to pasta just yet :-/

Reactions: Prem51

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep a bag of zapped up cauliflower in the freezer for such occasions - takes 4 mins in the microwave, and is cheaper than takeaway rice. Mind you. we tend to eat at home, so that makes things easier than eating remote..... Patna or basmatti rice is said to be better glycemically than american or quickcook rice that chinese takeaways use.

We had a takeaway curry from a local indian, and my bgl rose 1,6 mmol/l at the 2hrPP, but fell back to 5.3 mmol/l at the 4hrPP. This was with patna rice, mango chutney and a couple of poppadoms as well. I think the curry sauce plays a part too, so going hot and spicy tends to be lower carb than mild or medium, since these milder curries tend to have added sugars or fruit. Onion bhajis are often a minefield too especially the frozen ones at Asda in my experience. Dahls are often high carb due to the lentils.

Reactions: Prem51

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep a bag of zapped up cauliflower in the freezer for such occasions - takes 4 mins in the microwave, and is cheaper than takeaway rice. Mind you. we tend to eat at home, so that makes things easier than eating remote.....
You could even take a portion when eating out and ask them to microwave your own rice!

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
I seriously miss rice... just loved it..... possibly a bit too much.....:(
Pasta and potatoes... meh....
I seriously feel for you. Those and pasta are the things I miss most.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
worth a try. I miss singapore rice something rotten

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat out or have a take away very, very rarely. Round here the rice is basmati. I will have something different for my treat next time, whenever that is.
I am a lucky puddy tat. My insulin resistance has abated somewhat, and I can now eat those things that used to spike me like potatoes, rice, spaghetti. But I still use LC variants off and on, since I do not want to return to the bad old days.

We are having Beef Rogan Josh tonight, but I will have the cauli rice this time as I had Patna rice last week. No added bits either since tonight will be an LC night for me. Will edit this post to give my readings later. Hopefully it will not be Whoops! for me.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat pasta if it is cooled and reheated

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a lucky puddy tat. My insulin resistance has abated somewhat, and I can now eat those things that used to spike me like potatoes, rice, spaghetti. But I still use LC variants off and on, since I do not want to return to the bad old days.

We are having Beef Rogan Josh tonight, but I will have the cauli rice this time as I had Patna rice last week. No added bits either since tonight will be an LC night for me. Will edit this post to give my readings later. Hopefully it will not be Whoops! for me.

Edit to add: Nope its whoopie-do instead. Readings were Pre / 2hrPP / 4hrPP = 4.9 / 5.3 / 4,8 mmo;/l, and that was having a 2nd helping, both with mango chutney, and a sachet of cauli rice for 2 all to my self = PIG !!!!! [but a happy pig]