1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Whoops!!!

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by lucylocket61, Aug 26, 2018.

1. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Tonight I had only half of my takeaway of Chicken biriani and bhindi bhaji.

11.1 at the 2 hour point.

I will take that as a resounding NO to me being able to eat rice again.:dead:

• Hug Hug x 12
  2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I swore in pitjantjara about my bgl readings last time I tried reheated rice, it is definitely a no go food any more for me.

3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Rice is overrated as is pasta, they are just designed to carry the more interesting stuff to your mouth! ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Nice though... :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Cannot remember last time I had a take-away. We eat out but I push the carbs to other 3 or leave it behind.
    Unfortunately a more expensive experience. So it doesn't happen often.

6. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I seriously miss rice... just loved it..... possibly a bit too much.....:(
    Pasta and potatoes... meh....

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. cazipix

cazipix Type 2 · Member

I'm newly diagnosed and still testing foods, had a similar experience and bye bye rice :( Have found steamed bags of cauliflower rice (wok fried with some seasoning, chilli and garlic) to be a good substitute though!

Haven't been able to say no to pasta just yet :-/

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I keep a bag of zapped up cauliflower in the freezer for such occasions - takes 4 mins in the microwave, and is cheaper than takeaway rice. Mind you. we tend to eat at home, so that makes things easier than eating remote..... Patna or basmatti rice is said to be better glycemically than american or quickcook rice that chinese takeaways use.

We had a takeaway curry from a local indian, and my bgl rose 1,6 mmol/l at the 2hrPP, but fell back to 5.3 mmol/l at the 4hrPP. This was with patna rice, mango chutney and a couple of poppadoms as well. I think the curry sauce plays a part too, so going hot and spicy tends to be lower carb than mild or medium, since these milder curries tend to have added sugars or fruit. Onion bhajis are often a minefield too especially the frozen ones at Asda in my experience. Dahls are often high carb due to the lentils.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

You could even take a portion when eating out and ask them to microwave your own rice!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I eat out or have a take away very, very rarely. Round here the rice is basmati. I will have something different for my treat next time, whenever that is.

• Like Like x 2
  11. simonr1

simonr1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I seriously feel for you. Those and pasta are the things I miss most.

12. Ross.Walker

Ross.Walker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

worth a try. I miss singapore rice something rotten

13. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I am a lucky puddy tat. My insulin resistance has abated somewhat, and I can now eat those things that used to spike me like potatoes, rice, spaghetti. But I still use LC variants off and on, since I do not want to return to the bad old days.

We are having Beef Rogan Josh tonight, but I will have the cauli rice this time as I had Patna rice last week. No added bits either since tonight will be an LC night for me. Will edit this post to give my readings later. Hopefully it will not be Whoops! for me.

14. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I can eat pasta if it is cooled and reheated

15. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Edit to add: Nope its whoopie-do instead. Readings were Pre / 2hrPP / 4hrPP = 4.9 / 5.3 / 4,8 mmo;/l, and that was having a 2nd helping, both with mango chutney, and a sachet of cauli rice for 2 all to my self = PIG !!!!! [but a happy pig]

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook