Lactose Free Milk

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just wasted £2.00 on a carton of Lactose free Milk bcos someone on here told me it was better for Diabetics.....i haven't yet tried it but nothing online says it is.It says it tastes sweeter than normal Milk which is probably fine if you got low blood sugar but i did say i am T2 High blood sugar!!!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
an
I have just wasted £2.00 on a carton of Lactose free Milk bcos someone on here told me it was better for Diabetics.....i haven't yet tried it but nothing online says it is.It says it tastes sweeter than normal Milk which is probably fine if you got low blood sugar but i did say i am T2 High blood sugar!!!
and what does it say on the nutritional information on thecarton?

Reactions: Ceebee2

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ordinary semi skimmed milk is around 4.8g per 100ml

lactose free semi skimmed milk is around 3g per 100ml.

whats your issue with this? someone suggested something, out of the goodness of their heart. They are not wrong, it is lower in carbs than ordinary semi skimmed milk. How about doing your own research, reading labels, and not blaming those who are trying to help you?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm lactose intolerant, I never buy something that is supposed to be for my intolerances. If for example, if it is gluten free food, they replace the gluten with potato starch, which is worse for me.
It is supposed to be better for you, but only by testing will you find out.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The same amount of sugar is in the milk, but not in the form of lactose. Lactose is a double molecule like sucrose, and when digested they are split apart. People who cannot digest lactose lack the enzyme to split the double molecule, so it is done for them.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS this is the post you mean:

The sugar in milk is called lactose so lacto free milk should not have any carbs in it though this is something I've never checked.
from @Guzzler on a different thread.

note the bit I bolded. Its up to you to check.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
How do you know your money was wasted? Have you tested your bg with it? Have you even tasted it?
You bought something and only after buying it did you read up on it? What are the ingredients?

Advice is not the same as an instruction or a command. You are a mature woman, time to take responsibility for your own mistakes but in this case it feels like you are apportioning some kind of blame to others and almost demanding a refund.

I shall not be offering advice again.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It says clearly on the back of all packaged foods how many carbs they contain per 100 grams (same as percentages ). For fresh foodstuff you can simply Google 'carbs cauliflower' or 'carbs olives' or whatever and Google will come up with an answer.
With 3 grams per 100 gram lactose free milk is not too bad, but why not check your foods before buying?

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
I always buy lactofree milk only because it contains less carbs than standard milk and I try to reduce carbs where I can.

OP I don't agree that it is a waste of money, but like pretty much everyone on here has said, do a bit of research.

Folk on here are extremely friendly and helpful, and your reaction / post is neither friendly or helpful and in fact puts you in a bad light.

Now go and make a cup of tea and come back and tell us if you can taste the difference.

Reactions: Julie27318

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I bought it bcos someone on here said it was better but when i googled it i find it is sweeter than other milk if it's sweeter then it must have more sugar i'm supposed to be avoiding sugar!!!

Avoiding sugar and you're having a screaming blue fit over 2.8g per 100ml? Get a grip and test the stuff!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

If you post on a forum, expect a reply or three.

Last edited by a moderator:

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry.....i just tried it i love it very creamy but i can hardly tell any difference in sweetness!!
I've never noticed a taste difference and it never even occurred to me to check either.

I just like the fact that the semi skimmed milk contains less carbs & sugar than standard skimmed milk. I've always used skimmed milk, but the lacto free version was not always available so I switched to semi.

The creaminess took a bit of getting used to after having skimmed for so long though

D

Deleted member 308541

A friend of ours owns a goat farm, and he sells a fair bit of goat milk for lactose intolerant kids. It sells for around $5.00 a litre.

The best cows milk is the stuff from a freshly milked cow, before it goes through all the processes.

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A friend of ours owns a goat farm, and he sells a fair bit of got milk for lactose intolerant kids. It sells for around $5.00 a litre.

The best cows milk is the stuff from a freshly milked cow, before it goes through all the processes.
Oh gawd. My parents have cows and used to bring that home. The thought of it makes me wanna LOL.

They would boil it to sterilise it and then that skin would form on top as it cools.

Even now as I type I wanna barf

Reactions: urbanracer
D

Deleted member 308541

Oh gawd. My parents have cows and used to bring that home. The thought of it makes me wanna LOL.

They would boil it to sterilise it and then that skin would form on top as it cools.

Even now as I type I wanna barf
I did state this "before it goes through all the processes." as pure raw milk straight from the cows udder.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There are said to be over 3.2 million people with Type 2 Diabetes and Pre Diabetes in the U.K so it is far from being a rare condition. In an ideal world all of those who are diagnosed or who are at risk would be advised to lower the amount of carbohydrate in their diet to some extent. Although this forum has thousands of members who follow a lower carb lifestyle we are in the minority, what makes you think that you are alone in having to face the risk of complications unless you lower your carb count? Most of us with Pre D and T2 find that we also have to lower our intake and we all have to deal with the risks and the fears that comes with the diagnosis.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are said to be over 3.2 million people with Type 2 Diabetes and Pre Diabetes in the U.K so it is far from being a rare condition. In an ideal world all of those who are diagnosed or who are at risk would be advised to lower the amount of carbohydrate in their diet to some extent. Although this forum has thousands of members who follow a lower carb lifestyle we are in the minority, what makes you think that you are alone in having to face the risk of complications unless you lower your carb count? Most of us with Pre D and T2 find that we also have to lower our intake and we all have to deal with the risks and the fears that comes with the diagnosis.
I don't think i'm alone i know i'm not i. feel upset and annoyed that i got this illness!!!Docs don't have a clue they never tell u it's about carbs.What i can't understand is how does the Liver make glucose if we don't have carbs to make it?