They Are Selling Wfpb Dogfood Now

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saw an advert on TV just now for doggie bix. The advert did not say they were vegan or WFPB, but they did bang on about how healthy the vegetables were, and how they used Whole Grains, and that the diet was ultra low fat. Sounds familiar.

Not sure what the pooches will make of it though and I get the impression they would not know how good this new expensive kibble is. or care what it does to their glucose levels. They will probably go Bow, but maybe not Wow!. Wot I want to know is where is my kibble? The one for cats.

It is Vegetarian Year apparently so we should expect such advances in nutritional science.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well, good luck with the vet bills. By the way, what do you call a vet that only treats one species? An M.D.
Boom Boom!

D

Deleted member 308541

Hmmmm! Red Dog would still scarf a tin of that stuff in under a minute.

The bit eating a tin of food in the clip is about one minute in.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dear me, dogs are carnivorous, in the past only eating stomach contents to get the few veggies they needed. Terrible for pets to feed them rubbish.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Watched one of the new OPEN ALL HOURS TV programme yesterday.
He couldn't sell dog food from China. He sold it as a 'cure' for everything, in the end.

Sound familiar?

Reactions: Oldvatr

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Last edited:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Actually so do my dogs they eat veg too, what I meant was dogs aren't designed to be vegans, shouldn't have to explain myself!!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have a huge black Labrador and he was fed mostly animal products - lungs and lights as well as meat, plus some oatmeal but not a lot. He was the fittest and most muscular dog for miles, gleaming coat and full of energy.
Various people asked me what supplements I fed him and were not at all happy when I explained his diet - which they knew could not be good for him, but by then he was asking if we could go now as he wanted to run some more miles.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Umm, one of my cats always appears in my kitchen when I'm cooking vegs, cutting up a melon or getting a salad together!!!

She will 'steal' the rind I've cut off the melon; brought home a large chunk of cucumber from nextdoor which was from the dish for their tortoise, and proceeded to eat it all; loves tomatoes (but not whole ones - I have to cut them ;) ) French /Dwarf beans - I trim the ends, put them into a ramekin dish and steam them with my veg - she can't wait to get at them, even before I've cooled them!

Yes, she still loves her 'regular' food, containing meat plus some dried food.

Recently, my other cat has started to eat the beans too - maybe she was jealous ;) LOL

Both cats appear to be very healthy and the vet maintains it's OK

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Umm, one of my cats always appears in my kitchen when I'm cooking vegs, cutting up a melon or getting a salad together!!!

She will 'steal' the rind I've cut off the melon; brought home a large chunk of cucumber from nextdoor which was from the dish for their tortoise, and proceeded to eat it all; loves tomatoes (but not whole ones - I have to cut them ;) ) French /Dwarf beans - I trim the ends, put them into a ramekin dish and steam them with my veg - she can't wait to get at them, even before I've cooled them!

Yes, she still loves her 'regular' food, containing meat plus some dried food.

Recently, my other cat has started to eat the beans too - maybe she was jealous ;) LOL

Both cats appear to be very healthy and the vet maintains it's OK
cats can, and do eat small amounts of veg matter. Mine likes to nibble the pondweed from time to time. However, the point is, as indicated in the article I linked to above, that some animals, including cats a dogs, may like the occasional nibble of veg, but need meat to complete their nutritional requirements. And cats digestive system is not arranged to eat much in the way of veg at all.

I dont think anyone is saying that they shouldnt have veg if they want it, but rather that a predominantly veg diet is not suitable for them.

Reactions: Energize

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
cats can, and do eat small amounts of veg matter. Mine likes to nibble the pondweed from time to time. However, the point is, as indicated in the article I linked to above, that some animals, including cats a dogs, may like the occasional nibble of veg, but need meat to complete their nutritional requirements. And cats digestive system is not arranged to eat much in the way of veg at all.

I dont think anyone is saying that they shouldnt have veg if they want it, but rather that a predominantly veg diet is not suitable for them.
The warning bell for me was the emphasis on the ultra low fat aspect, as if Ancel Keys applies to animals in the same way as supposedly the 'evidence' shows for us humans, as we on this site well know.

Also I know of at least 2 cats that are diabetic, and would suggest that this product may not be suitable for them. Our cat is 'vegetarian' and will not touch the pouches or tins of meat, so a kibble only diet suits her and has done for over 9 years now.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with @Indy51 - it's animal abuse. I don't understand why people have pets and then try to make them 'human' and wear silly clothes and have silly diets.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The warning bell for me was the emphasis on the ultra low fat aspect, as if Ancel Keys applies to animals in the same way as supposedly the 'evidence' shows for us humans, as we on this site well know.

Also I know of at least 2 cats that are diabetic, and would suggest that this product may not be suitable for them. Our cat is 'vegetarian' and will not touch the pouches or tins of meat, so a kibble only diet suits her and has done for over 9 years now.
http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/03/the-skinny-on-fat-part-1/

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
try to make them 'human' and wear silly clothes and have silly diets.

Amen! I feel sorry for those pets - they always look completely humiliated to me. Cats especially. It's an offence to their dignity IMHO.