Over 65s Miss Out On 2018 Quadruple Flu Jab

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS has admitted that the 2018 flu jab for everyone over 65 does not cover the dangerous Japanese strain of flu, which killed thousands last winter. However, those under 65 will receive the full vaccine that covers all 4 major strains of flu.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6157651/New-jab-WONT-protect-elderly-Japanese-flu.html

The over 65s will only be covered for the 3 strains - Aussie flu, swine flu and Brisbane flu. It will also contain a special chemical that boosts the immune system in the expectation it will make the vaccine more effective. Because of this additional chemical, the Japanese flu strain cannot yet be added to it. So we wrinklies have to manage without it.

The reasons given are that the over 65s have naturally deteriorating immune systems that need boosting.

They say it offers the elderly the best protection because it contains a chemical that boosts their weaker immune systems, making them more responsive to the vaccine.

But the jab will only protect against three strains – 'Aussie flu' H3N2, 'swine flu' H1N1 and B Brisbane flu – because a four-strain 'quadrivalent' version with a booster for the elderly has not been made yet.

This, to me, is a very big presumption and another "one size fits all". I am 70 and my immune system is spot on perfect. I think I would prefer to have the 4 strain one without the immune system booster, but I have no choice. The surgery has to follow the rules.

Talking to my nurse this morning during my shingles jab appointment, she says it has thrown the surgery into chaos. They have now to separate their vaccine clinics to avoid mistakes. The under 65s have one clinic. The over 65s have another. The pneumonia jab can be done at either at the same time. The shingles jab has to have its own clinic. Otherwise the fridge contains too many different vaccines and patients are at risk of being given an inappropriate jab.

She also told me that instead of as in previous years when there were several different suppliers of the vaccine, this year there is only one supplier for the whole country. Imagine how many vaccines they must produce! They are restricted on how much can be ordered each month, meaning they could well run out before the end of each month - September, October and November.

Reactions: ann34+

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What a shambles.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
The NHS has admitted that the 2018 flu jab for everyone over 65 does not cover the dangerous Japanese strain of flu, which killed thousands last winter. However, those under 65 will receive the full vaccine that covers all 4 major strains of flu.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6157651/New-jab-WONT-protect-elderly-Japanese-flu.html

The over 65s will only be covered for the 3 strains - Aussie flu, swine flu and Brisbane flu. It will also contain a special chemical that boosts the immune system in the expectation it will make the vaccine more effective. Because of this additional chemical, the Japanese flu strain cannot yet be added to it. So we wrinklies have to manage without it.

The reasons given are that the over 65s have naturally deteriorating immune systems that need boosting.

They say it offers the elderly the best protection because it contains a chemical that boosts their weaker immune systems, making them more responsive to the vaccine.

But the jab will only protect against three strains – 'Aussie flu' H3N2, 'swine flu' H1N1 and B Brisbane flu – because a four-strain 'quadrivalent' version with a booster for the elderly has not been made yet.

This, to me, is a very big presumption and another "one size fits all". I am 70 and my immune system is spot on perfect. I think I would prefer to have the 4 strain one without the immune system booster, but I have no choice. The surgery has to follow the rules.

Talking to my nurse this morning during my shingles jab appointment, she says it has thrown the surgery into chaos. They have now to separate their vaccine clinics to avoid mistakes. The under 65s have one clinic. The over 65s have another. The pneumonia jab can be done at either at the same time. The shingles jab has to have its own clinic. Otherwise the fridge contains too many different vaccines and patients are at risk of being given an inappropriate jab.

She also told me that instead of as in previous years when there were several different suppliers of the vaccine, this year there is only one supplier for the whole country. Imagine how many vaccines they must produce! They are restricted on how much can be ordered each month, meaning they could well run out before the end of each month - September, October and November.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that's one way of legitimately killing off us oldies.......and as Charles Dickens said "remove the surplice older population" ok not quite what he said............. but I'm fed up with the continual cry of its " the elder generation" costing the NHS every time there is a crisis or a shortage ........I don't remember putting in a request to grow old......it just happened ............ok off my soap box.......

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Well, I am just 61 so I assume that I will get the 4... This, of course, is not good for an older person. Still, in 4 years time, I will be in the same predicament. I had my flu jab as usual last year and went down with flu in the December Christmas Eve.. I was ill for 2 weeks. A lot of good that flu jab did me.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Blast - last time I got flu I was ill for over 3 months, fell ill at Christmas and was just about on the mend by my birthday, mid April.
I am 67.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How can you tell?

Because all my white blood cell results are spot on normal, my neutrophils are excellent. I haven't had a cold or any sort of infection for many years (apart from one short lived infection 5 or more years ago when I was on chemo and my immune system was low due to the chemo killing it off), I have never had flu. I don't remember ever having tummy problems, and so it goes on. Long may it continue.

Reactions: Energize

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Blast - last time I got flu I was ill for over 3 months, fell ill at Christmas and was just about on the mend by my birthday, mid April.
I am 67.

I've had flu twice and, like you, it took months to recover from the second bout. I was 20 years old the first time and I recovered in a few weeks but it still completely floored me.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because all my white blood cell results are spot on normal, my neutrophils are excellent. I haven't had a cold or any sort of infection for many years (apart from one short lived infection 5 or more years ago when I was on chemo and my immune system was low due to the chemo killing it off), I have never had flu. I don't remember ever having tummy problems, and so it goes on. Long may it continue.
My white blood cells and neutrophils are both at the bottom of the range so I am DOOMED!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My white blood cells and neutrophils are both at the bottom of the range so I am DOOMED!
For years my neutrophils have been bumping along the bottom, sometimes just above and sometimes just below the cutoff, triggering repeat blood tests. In spite of this I have not had flu. I have given up on the flu jab since I developed shingles shortly after having one and discovered that this is a known side effect. The shingles wrecked my life for a long while.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you check your neutophils? I have never had the flu jab but expect to be offered it this year. I only temember having flu once also at Christmas when the children were little. I got up for their presents opening but then was back to bed immediately.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was wondering if they will be complimented with side affects. Side affects which can kill, maybe?
I'm suspicious of bundled jabs. How the little babies cope is evident with a temperature and sleeping for the liver to process it.

Normally I get hoodwinked into "have you had your flu jab?" and "roll up your sleeve". In fact I've just realised I don't even get the info slip.
I must look desperate for help so info irrelevant?

Well I suppose it could be worse, I could have to pay for it!!!
I do appreciate it really. She says as I cross my fingers! Ha ha

I trust my gp so if offered I will take it. Kids get theirs at school in a sniff sniff.
I guess carers must get one free, surely?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was on chemo I did as I was told to do and took my temperature 3 or 4 times a day. If it went to 37.5 we were told to test it every 15 minutes. If it was still rising and reached 38 we had to ring the emergency chemo number and then hot foot it straight over to the chemo unit. About 10 days after my very first infusion my temp went up and I rang in and was told to get there quickly. At the unit my blood was tested and my neutrophils were down to 0.1, which is a dangerous level and classed as neutropenia. Combined with the raised temp I was diagnosed with neutropenia sepsis. I was sent immediately to the special unit at the hospital where I had to stay with 4 hourly IV anti-biotic drips until my neutrophils rose to acceptable levels. They never did find the source of the infection, although they tried just about every method of doing so. My temp had dropped again by the time I reached hospital. I don't actually think I had an infection as I felt perfectly fit and well and would never have known had I not taken my temp. I was told I was very lucky and given some frightening stats on people that die with neutropenia. I spent 3 days attached to that drip. It only happened that one time. All further infusions were fine. No hugs or sympathy required! It was a long time ago. :)

That has always frightened me, and now when I have my full blood counts every 6 months (for diabetes checks) the neutrophils are the very first thing I look for - before my glucose results. They are so important.

@PenguinMum

The neutrophils are some of the white blood cells and you will see what yours are whenever you have a full blood count taken, which you should have whenever you have a diabetes blood check. If you don't, then all you have to do is ask. My surgery does them as a matter of routine.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm more concerned about this immune system booster.
What is it, how does it work, what are the side effects?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mine are below the bottom of the range and marked as 'Abnormal'! :wideyed:
@Bluetit1802 What does this mean? Should my gp have done anything about this, and if so what?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine are below the bottom of the range and marked as 'Abnormal'! :wideyed:
@Bluetit1802 What does this mean? Should my gp have done anything about this, and if so what?

How low are they? If you get an infection, you could be in trouble if they are too low. As I mentioned above, mine dropped to 0.1 and caused a 3 day stay in hospital on a drip. There are neutrophil boosters available by injection, but they are expensive.