Not Diabetic, But Wondering If I Might Be On My Way There?

adrianac98

so obviously a doctors visit and bloodwork would be the only way to determine this. My doctor, though, doesn't seem to want to even entertain the idea long enough to explain why she isn't concerned at all in a way that is reassuring to me. I know she knows way more about health than i do, and should trust in what she says. I also have an anxiety disorder, and in order to put my mind at ease i just would prefer an in depth explanation for my symptoms before being brushed off so i can accept im healthy. I'm not doubting her medical ability, i just worry especially because in january i went to see her with symptoms of appendicitis and she 100% assured me it wasn't but then two days later i had an emergency appendectomy.

My goal isn't to have some people over the internet diagnose me, I'd just like to learn more about the way diabetes progresses in it's early stages so that i can understand why the symptoms i had could not possibly be related to blood sugar. I tried doing some research, but for whatever reason I'm having a hard time wording the question in google in a way that gives me the information im looking for. So I was hoping if I explain the situation, someone could either help me find what I'm looking for or explain to me why what I'm feeling may or may not be related to blood sugar.

My boyfriend is type 1 diabetic, and was in hospital about 2 months ago for complications. I learned a lot about the condition there that helped me understand what he's going through, but not a ton about what happens in the beginning. For example, I know that blood sugar has to be pretty high to experience symptoms like frequent peeing and extreme thirst, not just slightly elevated. The reason I bring this up, is that last weekend I began experiencing that and he voiced some concerns about whether or not I should look into it. My only thing with that is that since it started, it isn't constant. It comes and goes. But it always comes on the same way, peeing a lot first without drinking that much and then eventually a thirst that won't go away no matter how much water I drink. It can last anywhere from several hours to a couple of days. When it first happened I did not let my boyfriend check my blood sugar, I told him I was fine and it was unnecessary. After 2ish days or so I got concerned and had my type 2 dad check, by the time he was home to check the symptoms had resolved and it was mostly just for peace of mind. It was first thing in the morning, so I was fasting and my blood sugar was 4.6 (I'm in canada idk what the conversion would be) so totally normal and I let it go. I already had an appointment with my doctor scheduled for an unrelated reason so while there I asked her about it just because I was wondering what could've cause that if not high blood sugar. Last tuesday I had taken a higher dose than prescribed of clonazepam and zopiclone together, that story is irrelevant in my opinion so I won't get into it, and she says that the extra peeing was just my body trying to flush that out. That might be so, but it wasn't just that i went to the bathroom 6 or 7 times in the same day when I usually only go 4 or 5. It was every 20 minutes barely making it to the bathroom, and peeing such large amounts at a time that aren't normal for me even if I really had to go. And it wasn't a couple extra cups of water, it was 4 or 5 32oz bottles in three hours and still feeling like there was no saliva in my mouth. And they weren't symptoms that I was too concerned about until my type 1 boyfriend pointed them out to me so it's not like I immediately convinced myself that was my diagnosis. But then just like that the symptoms were gone, and I only tested when they were gone not while they were present. And even though the symptoms have been coming and going, I haven't asked my dad to check again because of what my doctor said and how low my number was. She had me do a urine test to check for infection just in case as i've had around 7 uti's just this year, but neither of us were convinced it was due to a uti because the symptoms were so different, and said if there is any problems with my sugar they'll most likely find that in my urine as well. I haven't been able to do it because as a female, peeing in a cup is very hard and with anxiety it's ten times harder. I finally managed to get some in the cup today, my mom took it to the lab and they didn't accept it because they said it wasn't enough. I don't want to explain why it was so hard for me to pee in a cup when i've been peeing nonstop because its complicated and frustrating, but I'm asking about how likely this is to be diabetes here because if it's impossible I won't pursue it further and I won't continue to try to pee in that cup because I'm almost certain it's not an infection.

My main questions are, could my symptoms be explained by high blood sugar even though when I checked after they'd disappeared my bs was normal? Can someone who is not diabetic experience blood sugar high enough to cause symptoms, that after long enough resolves on its own? When diabetes is first starting, whether type one or two, what kind of patterns does blood sugar follow? I know type two is a much slower progression due to the nature of it, but in both cases would it be safe to assume that blood sugar would just continue to increase until diagnosis and intervention? Or is it possible to see highs large enough to cause symptoms, then go back down into range, until eventually the body cannot regulate it at all and it is consistently high with no way of going back down without treatment? So like, sometimes high and sometimes normal until it's just high all the time? I'm not sure if any of that made sense, if any clarification is needed let me know and I will try to reword stuff. Your input is very much appreciated!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re the urine collection - you could always use a plastic jug or something larger than a cup, pee into that, then pour it into the cup to take for testing.
Since you have access to testing BG either through your Dad or boyfriend, the best thing to do would be to test when you get the strange symptoms.
Also might be worthwhile keeping a food and symptom diary in case the symptoms can be isolated to specific foods - note the time you eat, what you eat, time symptoms occur.

Reactions: SimonCrox

adrianac98

Re the urine collection - you could always use a plastic jug or something larger than a cup, pee into that, then pour it into the cup to take for testing.
Since you have access to testing BG either through your Dad or boyfriend, the best thing to do would be to test when you get the strange symptoms.
Also might be worthwhile keeping a food and symptom diary in case the symptoms can be isolated to specific foods - note the time you eat, what you eat, time symptoms occur.

That is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that but will try that tomorrow. I know that blood sugar for diabetics peaks 2 hours after eating, when it started on the sunday it was following a (what i imagine to be) very sugary lemonade, and my bf made a joke about checking my bg but it was just a joke. Only liquids I had the rest of the day was 2/3rds of a gatorade that I sipped on, and between sips I was just peeing it out faster than I was drinking it. The thirst started monday afternoon, we had sushi for lunch which is full of carbs from the rice, I was still peeing and then I got really thirsty and that was when my bf got serious about his concerns. symptoms lasted till tuesday night around midnight or so, I don't remember what I had consumed on tuesday but I think I was being mindful of not being huge on the carbs till i got it figured out and wednesday morning was when I checked and by then the symptoms were gone and my bg was normal so I just ate whatever thinking it was just a fluke and I was in the clear. That went to the dr at 5 on wednesday and that was when she said with normal bg it was unlikely diabetes was to blame. I tried to pee in the cup at the drs office but couldn't bc I was stressed about the fact that I had to be at work soon and couldn't so I took the cup so I could bring the sample back today (thursday). I had some chocolates before work at 6 and then about an hour into my shift symptoms were back and in the four hours I was at work I had to use the bathroom at least 6 or 7 times, didn't have too much time to drink water so I only went through one bottle despite how thirsty i was. I got home and my mom told me not to drink water since she knew i'd been up the nights before going to the bathroom all night, I tried not to depsite how thirsty I was and the fact that I knew it wouldn't really make a difference but whatever I was still up most of the night peeing. I've only noticed these things in retrospect, but I think the diary is good idea and I'll start it tomorrow in case it isn't related to sugar but more specifically certain foods. I do know of someone who was intolerant to certain foods and before discovering what they were she had an overactive bladder as a result, once they isolated the foods and she cut them out she wasn't having issues anymore so maybe this could be similar. |I know hers started as a child though, so I'm not sure if this could start out of the blue as an adult.

Also, I do have access to meters through my boyfriend and my dad but I'm afraid to have them test me for two different reasons. In my bf's case, he doesn't have insurance and already doesn't test as much as he should so his strips last longer and I don't wanna make that worse because he used them on me only to find I'm in range. In my dad's case, both him and my mom think I'm exaggerating to a certain degree and I don't want to make that worse when I've already tested with a perfectly low bg and my doctor said its not a concern but I'm pushing it. I'm asking more to fill my curiosity as I obviously am not dangerously sick right now, and know if it is diabetes it will be impossible to deny eventually and if its just what my dr said it was it will just go away on it's own. So like I'll still observe and keep a diary because if it is something serious i'm sure it will be useful at some point, and if it's not there was no harm done in tracking just to play it safe. Aside from that, my plan was mostly to wait till the symptoms either went away or got undeniably worse. I was also asking because I don't want to keep going through the frustration of trying to pee in that cup if i don't have to. I know it's not an infection because if it were today would be day 5 of it and I'd be so sick I probably would've had to go to the hospital, so I mostly just wanna see if I'm peeing out glucose. If my symptoms don't sound blood sugar related, especially because they come and go, then there's no reason for there to be glucose in my pee so theres no need to pee in the cup right? I'm also wondering if I could do it ahead of time, how long would it be good for before taking it to the lab? If it will still be good if i do it ahead of time that takes some of the pressure off because I wouldn't have to go at a certain time, just when I'm ready.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have Walmart or something similar? I think they sell meters very cheaply and they come with a small supply of strips. Blood testing is really the only way to be sure.
Sugary drinks are the absolute worst thing you can do for your body, so my advice is to stop drinking them immediately. Gatorade is just as sugary as normal sodas.

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Please note, many of us with Pre Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes have no symptoms whatsoever on diagnosis.
Also, for many people the symptoms of excess urination and thirst happen after the onset of Diabetes as the body desperately struggles to rid itself of excess glucose. In short, by the time this happens glucose levels are already elevated.
I agree with Indy, get yourself a meter and strips and test for a couple of weeks. Eat what you would ordinarily (though fizzy pop will be doing you absolutely no favours even as a non Diabetic). Keep a detailed and honest food diary and you may/may not see a pattern develope. If afterwards you are still concerned then take your diary with the relevant readings to your doctor. If nothing else, these details would possibly help to rule out a problem with blood glucose levels.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I'm not going to diagnose you, welcome to our forum.

I only know that urination consistently through the day regardless of what you have had to eat and drink, you do need to see a doctor, just because of that.

Frequent urination is a symptom of many conditions, so the likelihood of it being a type of diabetes is low.

In my experience, every question you have asked relative to non diabetics is, it can and does happen.
I'm not diabetic and prior to diagnosis, my blood sugar levels were really high and really low. I was misdiagnosed T2 with blood sugar levels of 29!
I was referred to an endocrinologist with blood sugar levels of less than 3 five years later. It was in the timing of those readings.
If I had kept a food diary prior to the first reading, that would have shown that it was an accumulation of how my body and endocrine system dealt and reacted to my diet
What they didn't test for was my insulin levels, they were not aware of why my body had high blood sugar levels, then low.
In quite a few of Prediabetics and T2s, insulin levels are high years before they get the prediabetic or T2 diagnosis.
A lot of different types of endocrine conditions are not recognised by GPs.

Whatever you are suffering from, your GP will probably do the usual blood panel tests.
That might help, but they don't do insulin tests usually.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please never take the advice not to drink when you are thirsty - you are already dehydrated by then - though it is a good thing to have a regular intake of plain water - I drink a mug of water when I go to the bathroom in the morning and when I go to bed and have various non sugary drinks throughout the day.
Our kidneys shut down at night for normal needs so if we are needing to get up at night it is because there is a need to get rid of something.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @adrianac98 and welcome

I can't add to what's already been mentioned but I would like to reassure you regarding getting urine samples.

I can't wee 'on demand' and definitely not into the often-provided container or the like. So, I just use a 2-litre, clean, ice cream container and put it into the toilet, then I can just wee as normal.

I have been known to have a clean plastic tray that some meat (from supermarket, pre packaged) slipped into my handbag for when I went to GP if I thought I might need to provide a sample ;) Like you, I just can't do it ;)

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Please never take the advice not to drink when you are thirsty - you are already dehydrated by then

It makes me weep for the human race if someone doesn't drink liquid when they're thirsty. It just has to be water though. If you drink a sugary drink you're only making things worse. I was chugging OJ in the days leading up to my DKA. I was literally starving to death and every sip only made my unquenchable thirst even worse.

To the OP: for the progression towards type 2, many are living in denial that their diets are implicated. If your sugars are higher than normal, or even your c-peptides and insulin levels are constantly elevated, that means you're ingesting too many carbs or sugar. It is really that simple. A recent study posted on DCOUK a month or so ago, show that even healthy, non-diabetics (not even pre-diabetic) can't metabolize high doses of carbs, and get high blood sugars temporarily. This is an abuse of your body.

Stop it! Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this! So stop doing it. People are abusing their bodies until they break down. It's not a mystery. Type 1 is, somewhat, but they've recently shown that the honeymoon phase lasts five times longer when you are physically fit, and that antibody levels rise when you have high inflammation due to carb-heavy foods. All this stuff is connected. I actually think type 1 is at least partially related to diet too, if not the diet of the infant, then their mother. There are thin type 2s out there who keep complaining, hey, I'm not fat, I shouldn't have this disease! But yeah, you probably still stuff loads of carbs down your gullet for years and years. Avoiding becoming type 2 isn't rocket science, people. It's just that people aren't willing to change their diets before it's too late. And even then many prefer to just take drugs and keep eating their carbs because they love their carbs more than their own health. So be it!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . . frequent peeing and extreme thirst, not just slightly elevated. The reason I bring this up, is that last weekend I began experiencing that and he voiced some concerns about whether or not I should look into it. My only thing with that is that since it started, it isn't constant. It comes and goes. But it always comes on the same way, peeing a lot first without drinking that much and then eventually a thirst that won't go away no matter how much water I drink. It can last anywhere from several hours to a couple of days.

Welcome to the forum. The possible causes of frequent urination are many as are the causes of thirst. The side effects of the two drugs you mention include dry mouth. Personally I actually find different foods can make me pee more often than others and certain things make me retain fluid more than others.

If the symptoms you are concerned about are frequent peeing and extreme thirst then these are the things your doctor should be looking at.