EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
a tattoo and no information either on it ridiculous!

As regards the diabetes, T1 diabetic says it all. Any medical attender would know that that means "on insulin" and as far as I'm concerned that's the immediate health issue that might kill me if the attender didn't know about it. I agree that tattoos aren't for everyone (including me) but I can see their logic and if I were to get a tattoo I'd definitely get a diabetic one.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A few years ago - came across a guy collapsed in the street, so called an ambulance. I was very reassured to see that almost the first thing the paramedic did (after checking breathing etc) was to swab the guys finger and test his blood sugar.

janeygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just wanted to show people and see if anyone else had any done. I don't like wearing medical bracelets or necklaces so I decided to get a tattoo as a solution because I love tattoos has anyone else got one? Here's mine (pic below) View attachment 28540
Hi I have a t2d tattoo mines a feather scribe with the letters T2D underneath , got mine as I couldn’t find any jewellery that I liked

Reactions: nicks2cv

lucy67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my one done a couple of years ago and when I went into hospital the doctors and nurses thought it was an excellent idea.
1537549073638.jpg

nicks2cv

I just wanted to show people and see if anyone else had any done. I don't like wearing medical bracelets or necklaces so I decided to get a tattoo as a solution because I love tattoos has anyone else got one? Here's mine (pic below) View attachment 28540
i have a T1D tattoo almost the same design, and having been in hospital at the start of the year due to being diagnosed with vasculitis i was complemented on the tattoo by medical staff . I have to say it looks fantastic.

Reactions: Struma

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My bracelet has also lost its red ink but has not come off me feel so safe with it on now. Have worn it all the time for over 15 years and would never change it for a lifelong tattoo !! So unnecessary a tattoo and no information either on it ridiculous!
Surely it’s up to the individual how they highlight the fact that they have a serious illness and @Alex_B has chosen a tattoo which provides instant visibility in an emergency. My husband wears a necklace because he has a number of serious ailments, takes meds etc that need to be taken into account before any treatment but it has come undone a couple of times - at least that will not happen with a tattoo.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I onced tried to get a tattoo but was told that I could not because I was diabetic (I was secretly relieved anyway!)?
(goes into the collection with leg waxing or anything that applies heat or carries the risk of infection I think) .
Has this ever been mentioned to you tattoo'ed people?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I onced tried to get a tattoo but was told that I could not because I was diabetic (I was secretly relieved anyway!)?
(goes into the collection with leg waxing or anything that applies heat or carries the risk of infection I think) .
Has this ever been mentioned to you tattoo'ed people?
Really? I’ve never had anyone say that to me, and I’ve had all mine since diagnosis.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really? I’ve never had anyone say that to me, and I’ve had all mine since diagnosis.
This was Salisbury circa mid 90s. Maybe I should try again! I promised husband a piglet on my hip...but maybe not aged 47 - would definitely embarrass my kids! Not at all sure about having the D word inscribed though the fact that I am wearing a pump should give it away to an ambulance person...

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This was Salisbury circa mid 90s. Maybe I should try again! I promised husband a piglet on my hip...but maybe not aged 47 - would definitely embarrass my kids! Not at all sure about having the D word inscribed though the fact that I am wearing a pump should give it away to an ambulance person...
Well, I’m in my mid 40s and had a half sleeve done last year :) And I don’t intend to stop hehehe

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of tattoo artists/parlours will ask if you are diabetic. (I wasn't when I got mine 2 1/2 years ago but they did ask me on my information form.)

I think the concern is hypos and slower healing/possible infection if they are a person with poorly controlled diabetes. However, I've heard most will tattoo well controlled diabetics of either type provided they follow the aftercare instructions (which everyone with a new healing tattoo should.)

http://blog.joslin.org/2015/02/the-safe-way-to-get-ink-when-you-have-diabetes/

As far as a Piglet on your hip, if you want it, I'd say go for it. Tattoos are a very personal decision and should be the choice of the adult getting the tattoo. (I occasionally run across the odd person who objects to tattoos in general, a friend of mine actually had the nerve to tell me she disliked my inside wrist tattoo! I told her that it was for my late son- it has his name and my tattoo was my body and my choice.) I'm considering getting another tattoo on my shoulder of Canadian Shield country (an island with spruce trees on a lake, possibly a canoe) in the next few years.

PS Don't worry about age, I was 60 when I got mine & my artist told me he recently tattooed an 84 year old man for the first time with his late wife's signature.)

Last edited:
Reactions: LooperCat