maitai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There has been a bug going around and i've become one of the unfortunate victims!

What are some home/safe remedies that you guys do when you get a cold?

I'm afraid of taking cough medicines because every article I read says that it's bad for your BG and my BGs have been a tad bit high since catching the bug!

And what are some go to meals when you're feeling a bit sick?

I have a scratchy throat, chest cough and a runny nose.

All replies are appreciated!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can get sugar free cough syrups just ask at your chemist. There’s also sugar free Strepsils for sore throats.
I don’t get colds often now, I started taking vitamin C and zinc a few years ago (before my type 2 diagnosis) and it has drastically cut down the number of colds that get me.
I hope you get better soon.

Reactions: maitai

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I drink warm lemon squash (used to add honey.....) and take paracetamol. I also love to curl up on the sofa in a sleeping bag! Low carb fresh soups are easy to prepare if you don't feel like cooking - just open the packet, pour into a bowl and heat in a microwave

Reactions: Serena51 and maitai

pyotrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I swear by Beechams Powders. Seems to relieve symptoms of a cold very quickly.
I tip the powder straight onto my tongue and swallow!

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you get well soon!

Here are a few recipes I would recommend
1) Chili and garlic - maybe not so fun to eat with a sore throat though
2) Extract from Echinacea Purpurea - suppose you can buy it in small bottles in GB too

These "cures" above have only some effect, when you already have a flu, but quite effective if you try to head off a not yet severe cold

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Due to one of my regular medications, I can't take any cold/flu remedies. However, I find that Oblas Oil, lots of fluids, steam inhalations and paracetamol sees me through. Saves me a lot of £££ re buying cold remedies etc too ;)

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm - that whisky thing does maybe not cure a flu, but it's much more fun to endure a flu that way :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't take anything it will go on its own just as fast so don't get ripped off..

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Tomyam soup.

it can be all natural ingredients. Garlic, Chilli, lemongrass, galangal, basil and a lot of hot water. Read up on the medicinal properties for each herb/spice and you will be surprised how you can eat your way out of issues