PR SUCCESSES - GETTING THE WORD OUT THAT LCHF IS THE BEST DIET TO HELP TREAT TYPE 2 DIABETES

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm happy to talk about my experience on my Facebook page and here, but reluctant to go as far as the media yet. I would be happy to do this when I've been in remission longer (and I've lost a bit more weight for the photo).
However one good bit of news - my health team weren't completely supportive although only the dietitian tried to talk me out of it (this was after I showed her my initial, very good results!). But when I had my 3mths blood tests done and my HbA1C was already down to 38, plus my triglycerides were down into the normal range, my DN was ready to listen. The blood fats really did it as they'd been convinced 'high fat' would make this worse.

She said she was going to look at the lowcarbprogramme, checked she'd got the right web address and said she'd be recommending low carb to others like me.
Music to my ears! Fantastic news. You don't hear that news often enough that's for sure.

Even sharing your story here and on your facebook page is phenomenal. Every share helps. Your results are fantastic.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Debandez for setting up the thread and thanks @Indy51 for adding my article. I have tweeted it and tagged one of the GPs at my surgery who is very active on Twitter (mainly in connection with a campaign to save a local hospital). Not my usual GP, but hopefully will spark her interest as I mentioned I attend her surgery.
It's brilliant. It's been retweeted at least a couple of times already and I've tagged you in. Love it. Phenomenal.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was contacted by Dajana back in July, I did reply saying that I was happy to share my story etc, not heard from anyone since.
I’m still happy to be contracted and for you to give the a little prompt, as you say the more of us telling our story and getting the message out there is important.

Just had a reply, great news, PR team looking at your story next :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Debandez for setting up the thread and thanks @Indy51 for adding my article. I have tweeted it and tagged one of the GPs at my surgery who is very active on Twitter (mainly in connection with a campaign to save a local hospital). Not my usual GP, but hopefully will spark her interest as I mentioned I attend her surgery.

I've just seen Dr aseem malhotra and Campbell Murdoch have retweeted your amazing article!!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a beautiful park in Blackpool called Stanley Park. It's the most beautiful park in the world, and I've seen so many. When I was first diagnosed I began a mission to lose weight. I walked around this park doing some serious steps. I came across a bench with a message on it 'Mikes bench, my partner, the love of my life, recently deceased, please share your story of how you are here and send a photo to the following email....' he was a photographer for the Blackpool Gazette for many years. She was a journalist. I took a photo and emailed as to why I was there. Trying to reverse my diabetes. Tonight I received an email from her. There is to be an expo of all photos and stories sent from 4th Oct til end Oct. The email was from Mike's partner and asked if I would like to be interviewed by BBC breakfast!!! WOULD I?!!! I said I would be so very honoured. It's going to be early next week.

Funny how things turn out isn't it? A step closer to us sitting next to Holly and Phil on breakfast TV! #ultimategoal #bringiton #lchfwoe #controldiabetes #spreadtheword

Reactions: DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a beautiful park in Blackpool called Stanley Park. It's the most beautiful park in the world, and I've seen so many. When I was first diagnosed I began a mission to lose weight. I walked around this park doing some serious steps. I came across a bench with a message on it 'Mikes bench, my partner, the love of my life, recently deceased, please share your story of how you are here and send a photo to the following email....' he was a photographer for the Blackpool Gazette for many years. She was a journalist. I took a photo and emailed as to why I was there. Trying to reverse my diabetes. Tonight I received an email from her. There is to be an expo of all photos and stories sent from 4th Oct til end Oct. The email was from Mike's partner and asked if I would like to be interviewed by BBC breakfast!!! WOULD I?!!! I said I would be so very honoured. It's going to be early next week.

Funny how things turn out isn't it? A step closer to us sitting next to Holly and Phil on breakfast TV! #ultimategoal #bringiton #lchfwoe #controldiabetes #spreadtheword
Aww what a lovely ending to such an emotional story I’m sure that lady will gain a lot from knowing who has sat on that very special bench. Good luck with the next chapter of your story xx

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
As forum members now have a few articles under our belts we thought it might be a good idea for them to be linked to a specific thread on the forum for all to see, and also share where possible.

I'm going to kick this thread off. I'm so very happy to do so.

Many from this forum want to help spread the LCHF word in the hope of turning that Titanic so that diabetes is treated by all HCP's appropriately. At the moment t2d is classed as a progressive disease. The advice is to follow the eatwell plate way of eating which includes lots of starchy carbs and to cut down on sugars and fats. For t2d 'no need to finger prick test' unless on specific meds including insulin! No wonder it's classed as progressive. Knowing your blood sugar levels is the only way in my opinion of managing your diabetes. I think most of us on here feel all diabetics should have access to test strips on prescription (You can get monitors free a lot of the time). That needs to change to.

Type 2 diabetics themselves realise it does not have to be progressive if you follow a low carb woe. This woe is not only crucial to get blood sugars under control for t2d but has been known to be beneficial for some t1s. I am not a doc tor and can only speak from my own experiences and what I have discovered in researching. It's not a diet that suits everyone. If you have other medical conditions it would be advisable to consult your GP.

I started my diabetes journey in December 2017 when I was diagnosed t2. I found diabetes.co.uk by chance and a way to put it into remission by eating LCHF which I was able to do within 6 months. As a bonus I lost over 3 stone (51 lbs to be exact). I wrote in the forum success stories about having to buy a whole new wardrobe as nothing fitted. I was contacted by the press side of DCUK asking if I would like to share my story. I could not wait. Hoping to help others on my journey.

Others have also been contacted and their stories will also be linked in here.
So my first article was in my local Gazette. Here is the link:

https://www-blackpoolgazette-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/gran-turned-around-her-health-her-diabetes-diagnosis-and-lost-weight-by-cutting-carbs-1-9233089/amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ==#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/gran-turned-around-her-health-her-diabetes-diagnosis-and-lost-weight-by-cutting-carbs-1-9233089
Ho @Debandez, 4th paragraph: what is the meaning of the word 'woe'?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have checked and been given the go ahead to add details of our amazing Birmingham event. I am just copying and pasting a previous update and adding photos.

'What a great event Birmingham has been. Building foundations. First of many events, fingers crossed. Massive thanks to Diabetes.co.uk and their PR team for the help and support given to us all. A happy bunch of diabetics getting together to try and help others, travelling from across the UK for the cause. All arranged in less than 6 weeks. Thanks to all forum members who backed the idea and made this happen. Special thanks to @Rachox and @shelley262 for all the help you have given me from the outset.

Friday several of us met at the hotel from 3.30pm. It was a funny kind of feeling, in a nice way. We had never met before but we all knew each other and had so much in common. Following introductions we sat in the bar area chatting. It felt great. It was finally all coming together. We happily chatted for well over 2 hours and didnt give ourselves much time to freshen up before meeting back down in reception to go out for our evening meal. Weall walked together through Birmingham, chatting away. The atmosphere in brum was quite electric. There was a buzz in the air all around! 20 minutes later we reached the restaurant. We had a fantastic meal at Jamie's Italian (check out their app...it has a breakdown of nutritional values for each meal i.e. cals, carbs etc). The dessert amazed us. At our request they were happy to do us all strawberries and cream using @Goonergal's chocolate brought all the way back from America! They threw on a few roasted almonds as we instructed! Perfect. It was absolutely delicious. They ran out of double cream but popped next door to borrow from their neighbouring restaurant! Nothing was too much trouble. Even the chef came out after our meal to meet us. He himself had enjoyed serving us. He had never done so many steaks in one go and loved the challenge! Hannah our waitress has to be the best waitress ever and a credit to her employer which will be reported back! I feel a TripAdvisor review coming on. And I will be writing a letter of thanks directly to Jamie himself although I will be hinting that a couple of lc desserts wouldn't go amiss. It was quite a moment when we all got out our monitors/scanners to test before and after I can tell you. We heard from our waitess that there was another diabetic in the building! We nearly invited them to join us! We had a lovely stroll back to the hotel. Some went to the bar to wind down a little and carry on the night and others retired to their rooms.

Saturday morning Wetherspoons (who do a cracking low carb breaky if you don't already know). We did some furniture removals so we could all sit around a big square table. 11 of us. Quick breaky for some, just coffee or soft drinks/water for others. Back to the hotel which was a stone's throw away. Most walked the 30 minutes to the event in the Custard Factory (how ironic), I took luggage in the car and met everyone there at Kanteen eaterie. Very modern, light and airy. They had booked the whole place out for us from 12 til 3 (although we ran over until 4 which wasn't a problem). It was just the right size venue for about 30 people and camera/video equipment (and outfit changes!). As more members arrived and popped on their badges people just mingled and chatted. A delightful low carb lunch was served about 1pm. Buffet style. As you can imagine it suited some but not all but its a learning curve and details noted for next time. They did very well and it looked beautiful. I enjoyed what I had immensely. Faultless presentation too. The refreshments included refill after refill of coffee and double cream (they went the extra mile literally to buy the cream for us, they did have almond milk but no cream to start with), all compliments of DCUK which was a really nice gesture. An intro from Charlotte Summers who launched the LCHF programme in 2015. She had only just flown back from Canada, launching the programme there. Plenty of time to chat and mingle. Most who had been on the LCHF woe for some time and some who wanted to learn more, reverse their diabetes and lose weight at the same time. There was a lot of knowledge in the room and with hindsight I wish I had recorded all my conversations as there was so much info to remember! It was a very relaxed atmosphere. Photo opportunities galore. Individual videos done for those that were happy to sit in front of the camera, sharing our journeys in the hope we might inspire others. The general theme, Diabetes does NOT HAVE to be the progressive disease we are told it is when diagnosed. We can take control of our health and our futures by simple changes in our lifestyle. We can and have put the beast in remission and many have also lost a lot of weight in the process. DCUK will be linking the videos and photos to their social media sites in the near future together with the inspirational stories and low carb recipe booklets and the blood sugar leaflet. I will try to pin them down to a date but I do know they are extremely busy at the moment.

As the event came to a close some had to carry on their journeys as they had a long way to travel home so fond farewells/au revoirs were said. And the 10 remaining popped to the pub next door to wind down from all the excitement. An hour or so later we all went on our merry way.

Couldn't have done this without my hubby Eric he even had a badge with 'gofer' he made himself. He was there to help and very happy to do so. And that's what he intended to do. And because be himself has lost a stone with LCHF as a non diabetic he was asked on video set to join me! Out of his comfort zone but be did it for the cause! Very proud of him.

Thank you everyone for making this event possible. See you at the next one!!!

Attachments

• 20180831_202106_resized.jpg
    20180831_202106_resized.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 474
  • FB_IMG_1535841033291.jpg
    FB_IMG_1535841033291.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG-20180901-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20180901-WA0009.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG-20180901-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20180901-WA0000.jpg