PR SUCCESSES - GETTING THE WORD OUT THAT LCHF IS THE BEST DIET TO HELP TREAT TYPE 2 DIABETES

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kitedoc can I just ask why you doubt LCHF would be suitable for T3? I know you cant advise but any relevant info would be helpful.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so today I received a reply from my DN (See above). It's looking promising, I'm invited to a clinical meeting to discuss the info I dropped off at the surgery.That's our inspirational stories booklet, 100 stone lost and kicked diabetes butt, blood sugar leaflet, low carb recipe and info booklet and the 1936 guidelines for treating diabetes. I'm.delighted and wanted to share the good news. I will give an update asap.

From DN:

Once everyone (All GCPs in 2 x surgeries = 10) has looked at the information I could gather thoughts together and email you with them if that’s ok ?

We could discuss at a clinical meeting once people have read documents.

Feels great.

I'm also on standby for bbc breakfast tv tomorrow. Pre recorded for Saturday am. I will be singing from the rafters!!!! LCHF all the way for reversing diabetes.

D

Deleted member 308541

I'm also on standby for bbc breakfast tv tomorrow. Pre recorded for Saturday am. I will be singing from the rafters!!!! LCHF all the way for reversing diabetes.
Remember to sing: From little things, big things grow... :D

Reactions: Debandez

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm a little excited. There is a chance that i will be on BBC breakfast tv this Saturday morning.

This goes out to 7 million viewers!

It surrounds the story of Mike's bench (see link below). I was one of the many who wrote to Elizabeth. I wrote to her in January, just as I was trying to get my head around my t2d diagnosis and working on a way to reverse it. It involved lots of walking around this beautiful park, and sitting on Mike's bench for a breather! And constantly taking photos from there as its just a magical spot.

She has personally invited me to the BBC filming tomorrow. There are 2 stories being told and if they can fit in 3 I'm going to be that number!!! Mike's bench is an amazing space. In such a beautiful park. It's a sad story with a happy ending. Much the same as many of ours.

Mike's bench inspired me to ask if anyone on the forum wanted to send me their stories. And the end product (still a work in progress) is our powerful inspirational stories booklet. I really hope they can interview 3. I will be the one frantically waving our booklet around and talking about how we have regained control of our health by LCHF and lost weight too!

Keep your fingers crossed.

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-lancashire-45643325?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ==#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

Excellent news!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well let me give you a laugh. You may have seen my post about Mike's bench this week. Here is a little update. I was one of the 300 that emailed Elizabeth telling her what brought me to Mike's bench that day. It was just after my diabetes diagnosis. I was feeling very sorry for myself. Until i read the note. Mike had sadly lost his fight against cancer, it was a turning point for me. Began to count my blessings. Pulled myself together.I was still alive, he wasn't.

Well I was invited to Stanley Park today by Mike's partner for filming with the BBC breakfast TV team to share my experience.

I practiced all night last night going over what I was going to say. Didn't want to miss anything important. Practiced all this morning too. Did little notes for myself in case I had the opportunity to read to ensure i didn't forget anything. I was there on stanley park with the BBC crew ....of 2. Presenter and videographer.

'Can you get your story over in 8 seconds' she said!!! 8 SECONDS!!!! I was thinking I could barely do it in 8 minutes!!!! I had all my props (Inspirational stories booklet etc) but couldn't use them. Just me and Mike's bench!!!

I couldn't even spit diabetes.co.uk out in 8 seconds!!!

The main focus is on 3 sisters. Who come from all over England to sit on the bench. Sat there with their mum the day before she passed away. They now have their own memorial bench for her by the cafe. Poignant.

I don't think they will use my clip but it was a lovely experience hearing the different stories. Always next time.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Travelling to London and back in a day today! I had forgotten that there were 2 x 6 clocks in a day! This one isn't boding well with my eyes that's for sure! This particular day trip required a very early start. Didn't sleep much as didn't want to over sleep!!!

I've been invited to tell my story about how I've reversed my diabetes to a national magazine, complete with photoshoot. (Thanks to DCUK PR team) Glam photoshoot they called it. 'Are you ok with sparkle' they said 'sparkle is my middle name' i replied. I wish it was an overnight, i could have shown them my diamante and sequin dressing gown .

Not sure I can say which one but can say which it isn't and there is absolutely no connection with one of Adele's hits! All expenses paid . I even get lunch thrown in (Not literally I'm hoping!). Not sure it will be low carb though so this could end up being a day of fasting which isn't a bad thing after what I ate yesterday. Hoping to meet up with @Goonergal at some point if my itinerary permits. Not having done anything like this before I'm absolutely clueless.

I'm a little nervous but very excited to spread the word that diabetes can be controlled and put into remission with the right food choices. Lowering sugar intake isn't enough (the advice given in general). Lowering carbs and sugar is the way forward.

Give me that microphone!!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is my little bit of chat and an update from yesterdays trip to London I posted on my social media earlier for info (copied and pasted):

Quick update on yesterday's adventure in London (she lied.......best make yourself a coffee and settle down for a while!)

LIGHTS! CAMERA! AND PLENTY OF ACTION! what an amazing experience yesterday was. That said I almost went into meltdown. My nerves got the better of me, I was in a complete sweat. Shaking. Nauseous. Twitchy. The tears started to flow uncontrollably. Not because of the Photoshoot in London for a national magazine as you might be thinking. Oh no. (Jaws music here!) My phone ran out of charge half way through the day!!!! Only happened once before and it took a long time to get over it. Anyway I'm fully charged now and feeling more myself . I can't say back to normal for obvious reasons haha.

My train journeys there and back were surprisingly pleasant. Apart from the lack of access to a charging point on the return journey! I was looking over longingly at the guy and his wife who had the only charging points in the coach (And the only table!)! Hogging them they were. No concern for fellow passengers who might be desperate and in their hour of need. Just chatting away regardless, in a world of their own, laughing and joking even, without once stopping for air. They appeared to be avoiding my stare. Not sure why. Then a bit of a hairy moment when my virgin DELAYED train arrived into platform 4 at Preston at 10.02. My train to Blackpool 'was departing from platform 1 at 10.03'. Anyone who knows me knows I don't do running. Especially not in high heels and loaded up like a donkey. But run I did, without a thought for my designer hair and make up! Up and over a bridge of stairs! When I realised I was actually going to make it I really wanted to scream with delight and hug and kiss the nearest person. But other passengers weren't quite as excited as I was so I just sat down quietly panting.

My photoshoot was amazing. I received a warm welcome. The team at the studio were really down to earth and so lovely putting me at ease straight away. 'What would you like to drink' I was asked. 'Coffee and double cream please'. I laughed as I know what the reaction was going to be. Complete silence . I said I was joking (although that was a lie!). I quickly in no more than 20 minutes explained all about the reason for my request. Low carb high fat way of eating. I pulled out all my booklets and leaflets and asked them to gather round whilst I filled them in on reversing diabetes And no I'm not joking! I find i can usually cover everything in 20 minutes these days i told them how a group of us got together in Birmingham with our big pants for photos. The editor seemed very interested so much so they want to take up our story and mentioned the March edition! .

I was last to arrive out of the 3 ladies in my shoot and last to get my hair and make-up done. I saw the other 2 ladies and how absolutely beautiful they looked. I said to my make up artist 'good luck with this one'. And so she began the transformation. Starting with primer. Smoothes out the lines apparently then onto....more primer .. and finally a layer of ....primer . to finish she used a brush to carefully apply foundation and bronzer. I was taking mental notes throughout. My technique has been the same since I started applying makeup at the tender age at 14. I still have that makeup ....And im not afraid to use it . my technique that seems to have worked well for me in case you want to try it is........carefully tip up a bottle of liquid foundation (cheaper the better), pour out a blob onto the soft part of your palm, then vigorously rub into your face without the use of a safety net (mirror) ensuring you leave some parts of your face darker than others. Extra coverage on the nose, hardly bother with the forehead and around the ears, totally neglect under the chin making sure you leave a clearly visible line where pale skin meets far too dark make up. Works a treat

My hair and make up artist, Sarah, could not have been nicer. How she curled with straighteners blew my mind. We were together for about 2 hours or more! That is one hell of a pampering session. She even braved it and did my toes bless her.

Lunch was provided. Really lovely it was. I had roast beef salad. Delish.

Then into the clothes and shoes. A touch of sparkle as its the November edition. Love it. And big smiles for the camera

Finished the session (get me) at 3.30 in time to meet @Goonergal for dinner at Five Guys (naked burgers ooohhh errr mrs) and 2 cafe stops, one at the beautiful canalside. We walked all through London heading to Euston station chatting and soaking up the atmosphere. It was a lovely sunny day too. Return train at 7.30pm. Back home for 10.30.

So that's my quick update finished happy Saturday folks.

Off to Carlisle now to meet up with family for the weekend. Weather looking promising too. All good.

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DebandezType 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known

Here is my little bit of chat and an update from yesterdays trip to London I posted on my social media earlier for info (copied and pasted):

Quick update on yesterday's adventure in London (she lied.......best make yourself a coffee and settle down for a while!)

LIGHTS! CAMERA! AND PLENTY OF ACTION! what an amazing experience yesterday was. That said I almost went into meltdown. My nerves got the better of me, I was in a complete sweat. Shaking. Nauseous. Twitchy. The tears started to flow uncontrollably. Not because of the Photoshoot in London for a national magazine as you might be thinking. Oh no. (Jaws music here!) My phone ran out of charge half way through the day!!!! Only happened once before and it took a long time to get over it. Anyway I'm fully charged now and feeling more myself . I can't say back to normal for obvious reasons haha.

My train journeys there and back were surprisingly pleasant. Apart from the lack of access to a charging point on the return journey! I was looking over longingly at the guy and his wife who had the only charging points in the coach (And the only table!)! Hogging them they were. No concern for fellow passengers who might be desperate and in their hour of need. Just chatting away regardless, in a world of their own, laughing and joking even, without once stopping for air. They appeared to be avoiding my stare. Not sure why. Then a bit of a hairy moment when my virgin DELAYED train arrived into platform 4 at Preston at 10.02. My train to Blackpool 'was departing from platform 1 at 10.03'. Anyone who knows me knows I don't do running. Especially not in high heels and loaded up like a donkey. But run I did, without a thought for my designer hair and make up! Up and over a bridge of stairs! When I realised I was actually going to make it I really wanted to scream with delight and hug and kiss the nearest person. But other passengers weren't quite as excited as I was so I just sat down quietly panting.

My photoshoot was amazing. I received a warm welcome. The team at the studio were really down to earth and so lovely putting me at ease straight away. 'What would you like to drink' I was asked. 'Coffee and double cream please'. I laughed as I know what the reaction was going to be. Complete silence . I said I was joking (although that was a lie!). I quickly in no more than 20 minutes explained all about the reason for my request. Low carb high fat way of eating. I pulled out all my booklets and leaflets and asked them to gather round whilst I filled them in on reversing diabetes And no I'm not joking! I find i can usually cover everything in 20 minutes these days i told them how a group of us got together in Birmingham with our big pants for photos. The editor seemed very interested so much so they want to take up our story and mentioned the March edition! .

I was last to arrive out of the 3 ladies in my shoot and last to get my hair and make-up done. I saw the other 2 ladies and how absolutely beautiful they looked. I said to my make up artist 'good luck with this one'. And so she began the transformation. Starting with primer. Smoothes out the lines apparently then onto....more primer .. and finally a layer of ....primer . to finish she used a brush to carefully apply foundation and bronzer. I was taking mental notes throughout. My technique has been the same since I started applying makeup at the tender age at 14. I still have that makeup ....And im not afraid to use it . my technique that seems to have worked well for me in case you want to try it is........carefully tip up a bottle of liquid foundation (cheaper the better), pour out a blob onto the soft part of your palm, then vigorously rub into your face without the use of a safety net (mirror) ensuring you leave some parts of your face darker than others. Extra coverage on the nose, hardly bother with the forehead and around the ears, totally neglect under the chin making sure you leave a clearly visible line where pale skin meets far too dark make up. Works a treat

My hair and make up artist, Sarah, could not have been nicer. How she curled with straighteners blew my mind. We were together for about 2 hours or more! That is one hell of a pampering session. She even braved it and did my toes bless her.

Lunch was provided. Really lovely it was. I had roast beef salad. Delish.

Then into the clothes and shoes. A touch of sparkle as its the November edition. Love it. And big smiles for the camera

Finished the session (get me) at 3.30 in time to meet @Goonergal for dinner at Five Guys (naked burgers ooohhh errr mrs) and 2 cafe stops, one at the beautiful canalside. We walked all through London heading to Euston station chatting and soaking up the atmosphere. It was a lovely sunny day too. Return train at 7.30pm. Back home for 10.30.

So that's my quick update finished happy Saturday folks.

Off to Carlisle now to meet up with family for the weekend. Weather looking promising too. All good.
What an amazing day and wonderful experience, something you will always remember xx

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Update on a brilliant appointment with the nurse today. Appointment not diabetes related at all, but it was with the same nurse that was so positive at my review in August, so went armed with our Inspirational Stories and recipes booklets.

Knew it was going to go well when her first words after I entered were ‘I’ve just been talking to a colleague about Jason Fung’. She was really pleased with both booklets, divulged that the nurse in the practice with most knowledge about diabetes is completely anti the eat well plate and asked if I’d be happy to go in and talk to groups of people with diabetes: my GP had previously asked the same thing with no follow up, but it feels like it might actually happen now. Will keep you posted.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Update on a brilliant appointment with the nurse today. Appointment not diabetes related at all, but it was with the same nurse that was so positive at my review in August, so went armed with our Inspirational Stories and recipes booklets.

Knew it was going to go well when her first words after I entered were ‘I’ve just been talking to a colleague about Jason Fung’. She was really pleased with both booklets, divulged that the nurse in the practice with most knowledge about diabetes is completely anti the eat well plate and asked if I’d be happy to go in and talk to groups of people with diabetes: my GP had previously asked the same thing with no follow up, but it feels like it might actually happen now. Will keep you posted.
Oh my word. Am I dreaming!!! Absolutely brilliant @Goonergal what a fantastic response. Wasn't expecting that! Well done.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow you ladies are achieving miracles. Deb please make sure we know which magazine in time to buy one.

Reactions: Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure I can say, it's called Simply You and is the sister mag for Take a Break. It's about real people. Their stories. November issue. Spreading the word!

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw my DN in the chemist this morning. She told me that the paperwork I gave her was behind reception and

------ wait for it ---------------

she is now directing people to this site. I gave her a hug and thanked her.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, to all of you doing your bit to effect change. If we each do a little bit of educating others the word will spread. Success breeds success.