Article in inews about potatoes - confusing?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Linked at the side of the inspiring article about @Goonergal

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment...-requirements-to-form-part-of-a-healthy-diet/

Yes, there is starch, which can increase insulin sensitivity – but it can also improve blood sugar control, digestive health, nutrient absorption and satiety (fullness), help curb inflammation in the body, boost immunity and improve blood circulation.

Is it me or is this just a load of cobblers?

Starch tends to decrease Insulin Sensitivity and increase Insulin Resistance, surely? Or we would all be eating starch to improve our BG control. The whole first sentence seems crazy - can increase insulin sensitivity BUT can also improve blood sugar control.

Be nice if this was true, of course, but I'm not convinced that my new health regime should be mainly baked potatoes and skin on chips with the aim of improving BG control. Oh, and I'm not convinced that potatoes increase satiety (fullness) unless you eat a lot of them! I am a victim to roast potatoes cooked in goose fat and could just eat and eat them. I would be full eventually, of course. :rolleyes:

I suppose that they are comparing potatoes to boiled rice and noodles but it doesn't seem to be a well informed or researched article.

Sigh. Reading on:

And yes, potatoes are high in carbohydrates, but these are necessary for long-term energy. Many do not know the difference between simple and complex carbohydrates. Potatoes are complex carbohydrates which are a necessary part of our everyday diet.

I feel that this may detract from the other articles, or even (if you get to the article the same way that I did) confuse people about what is a low carbohydrate diet.

I thought they'd got rid of the potato marketing board some time ago. :(

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh dear, the simple and complex carbs argument. For my body they are just the difference between a slow, long rise, as a quick short high rise in levels.

Reactions: Energize

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people on this forum report that rice, pasta, bread and so forth raises their levels, even in small quantities. However, several people report that they can manage small quantities of potatoes. I am one of them. The portions have to be small, however, such as 6 to 10 chips, 2 small roasties, or 2 or 3 small new (with butter) Perhaps it is the fat that helps, but I have tested and tested them, and they are fine for me.

BUT I agree the article does detract from the main article about Goonergal and will confuse anyone wanting to learn about low carb and controlling diabetes, and should not be associated with it in any way. In the same way the last part of the article about Goonergal, written by DUK, confuses the issue.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Is it me or is this just a load of cobblers?"

Um difficult but I think this bit helped me to decide.

"Yes, there is starch, which can increase insulin sensitivity – but it can also improve blood sugar control, digestive health, nutrient absorption and satiety (fullness), help curb inflammation in the body, boost immunity and improve blood circulation."

I suspect a vested interest.

Reactions: zand

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how the heck does it improve blood sugar control? and curb inflammation?????

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on insulin, so I can inject for potatoes. But if I eat more than half the amount of potatoes I used to eat before diabetes everything goes haywire, regardless of insulin dosing.
You're welcome to send the author of the article over to my place. I'll let him tell me how many potatoes he deems necessary to 'increase my insulin sensitivity', 'improve my blood sugar control', 'boost my immunity' (immunity to what?) and get my 'long term energy'.
I'll eat the potatoes, whithout injecting of course, as those magic things seem to be able to heal me on the spot, and let him see what happens to my bg for about 4 hours using the Libre. That should be long enough to show him what potatoes do and give me time to correct before going to bed.
He can sleep over as well, so he can join me in a very filling meal of my choice next day, for which I won't inject either.
He can then go home and write a nice new piece.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if they are talking about the vitamin c content of potatoes? I mean, everyone knows we cant find vitamin C anywhere else...............................:banghead:

Reactions: Debandez

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wait, what? You don't get scurvy anymore from a lack of vitamin C? What did all those sailors die from in the 17th century then?
Ships biscuits.. It would seem that carnivores get very little vit C but no cases of scurvy so far..

D

Deleted member 308541

Samwise "Sam" Gamgee, "Po-tay-toes! Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish".

I will continue to eat Spud Lite lower carb taters.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm coming up to two years now, potato free - and I aten't dead yet.

Reactions: Debandez