Low Carbs Snacks

Jools H

Hi, Ive just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and so am now on a low carb diet. The weight is coming off nicely however im getting stuck on low carb snacks for my peckish moments. Any suggestions please?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Berries and cream!
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits
Sugar free jelly (Hartleys make 10 cal pre made pots which are virtually zero carb),
Nuts:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts
Some makes of high protein bars are also sugar free, but test to see if the polyols they use as sweeteners spike you or not, I’m lucky that they don’t, some people they do. Examples are Adonis bars:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...ars&sprefix=Adonis,aps,140&crid=2RAMZ58BMQH30
Phd bars:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XSTS7P7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There’s also a make called Grenade carb killers, I haven’t tried them yet.
With all these bars you need to look for the ‘impact carbs’ not total carbs as polyols are carbs but in most people they aren’t absorbed.

Reactions: Jools H

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought a couple of Atkins chocolate bars. One was 30g and was ok. The other was 60g coconut bar and spiked me something rotten. Very expensive for what they are.

Reactions: Jools H

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The lowcarbprogram, via Diabete UK, has some great snack ideas and recipes
Not sure how much you can see without paying the (one-off) sign-up fee but you can get this paid for via an NHS prescription.
Other than that and the ideas above, I have a square of 85% chocolate or a little stevia sweetened chocolate at night.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The lowcarbprogram, via Diabete UK, has some great snack ideas and recipes
Not sure how much you can see without paying the (one-off) sign-up fee but you can get this paid for via an NHS prescription.
Other than that and the ideas above, I have a square of 85% chocolate or a little stevia sweetened chocolate at night.

Allow me to correct you, the low carb programme is available on Diabetes.co.uk (not Diabetes UK which is a different organisation)

beatya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i did low carb keto for a while and i lost 6 stone, it was fantastic and im no longer in diabetic range and take no meds, however i will offer one big warning. your gut bacteria will be messed up, the fact you are diabetic will suggest theyre messed up already but keto can make it worse. if you suffer from candida it can overgrow easily and really mess you up. if i could have done things different i would have looked at a fodmap diet and avoided foods that feed candida. FOOD CRAVINGS ARE MESSAGES FROM BAD BACTERIA. BE WARNED

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i did low carb keto for a while and i lost 6 stone, it was fantastic however i will offer one big warning. your gut bacteria will be messed up, the fact you are diabetic will suggest theyre messed up already but keto can make it worse. if you suffer from candida it can overgrow easily and really mess you up. if i could have done things different i would have looked at a fodmap diet and avoided foods that feed candida. FOOD CRAVINGS ARE MESSAGES FROM BAD BACTERIA. BE WARNED
How low carb were you? I thought candida fed on sugars?

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i did low carb keto for a while and i lost 6 stone, it was fantastic and im no longer in diabetic range and take no meds, however i will offer one big warning. your gut bacteria will be messed up, the fact you are diabetic will suggest theyre messed up already but keto can make it worse. if you suffer from candida it can overgrow easily and really mess you up. if i could have done things different i would have looked at a fodmap diet and avoided foods that feed candida. FOOD CRAVINGS ARE MESSAGES FROM BAD BACTERIA. BE WARNED
What is a candida cleanse diet and what does it do? (sounds like a diabetic diet to me)
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...h/expert-answers/candida-cleanse/faq-20058174
There are several types of candida. All are fungi. Doctors tend to treat this with anti-fungal medication.

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Ive just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and so am now on a low carb diet. The weight is coming off nicely however im getting stuck on low carb snacks for my peckish moments. Any suggestions please?
Almonds and roasted pumpkin seed are my favorites.

Doubledube

Hartleys sugar free jelly in a pot can have as.many as you like but no impact on sugar intake but the more you avoid sweeteners to substitute sugars the easier it gets to resist the sweet things and the savoury snack route is the best way to substitute the sugar cravings but be aware they contain a lot of fats

DGI

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Please can you give more detail about this? How exactly is it messed up and which foods exactly messed it up, and how do you know. Reason I ask is because it could affect me. Tks

Last edited by a moderator:

beatya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please can you give more detail about this? How exactly is it messed up and which foods exactly messed it up, and how do you know. Reason I ask is because it could affect me. Tks
everyones different, before i was diagnosed with diabetes i had skin issues and depression ( both symptoms of diabetes but the docs failed to make the connections) i was treated with antibiotics and antidepressants. they destroyed my gut bacteria and just a recent discovery that the antidepressants may have helped make the fungus resistant to pharma treatment.
once the fungus had a hold of me with various foods it became very difficult to find what was feeding it. its trial and error, i went to lactose free milk, turns out even that was feeding it,, oh and SURPRISE - sugar free gum, toothpaste etc all feed it. the tricky ******** can take the sorbitol or whatever and split off the chlorine molecule poop it out and keep the sugar molecule. look up 'fodmaps' to see how restrictive ive had to be to get over this, still trying :/

Edited by moderator for language.

Last edited by a moderator:

beatya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How low carb were you? I thought candida fed on sugars?
milk even lactose free can feed candida, sugar free gum is not sugar free, it also feeds bacteria, they can split off the chlorine molecule off the sugar molecule. etc etc, if u really interested theres tonnes of foods that can feed candida, look up fodmaps

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
salami & cheese antipasto
optionally serve with flax crackers.

any meat, ham, jerky (not sweet)

most nuts (cashews are higher in carbs)

avocado... or veggies & avocado dip

celery with peanut butter or cream cheese filling

pickles

oil and vinegar salad

hard boiled eggs, plain or deviled

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
everyones different, before i was diagnosed with diabetes i had skin issues and depression ( both symptoms of diabetes but the docs failed to make the connections) i was treated with antibiotics and antidepressants. they destroyed my gut bacteria and just a recent discovery that the antidepressants may have helped make the fungus resistant to pharma treatment.

To be fair, not everyone on a keto diet has these issues, I think you're being a bit unfair and unnecessarily scaremongering, especially to those new to keto who can be easily influenced by a post like this. Your problems were there even before you became keto.. It should be the diabetic mantra....'we are not all the same'.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i was treated with antibiotics and antidepressants.
Which messed up your gut bacteria.
You can't really blame your way of eating for that. So saying that keto can make it worse it a bit misleading no?

beatya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To be fair, not everyone on a keto diet has these issues, I think you're being a bit unfair and unnecessarily scaremongering, especially to those new to keto who can be easily influenced by a post like this. Your problems were there even before you became keto.. It should be the diabetic mantra....'we are not all the same'.
1st line says everyones different, we all have different issues, but there is science to back up that keto will alter gut bacteria, as all diets do

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@beatya you could probably find 'science' to back up anything you want. It's the quality of the science and researchers that is sometimes in question.