1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Privacy is important: just a reminder that your posts can be seen by members of the public Guest.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low Carbs Snacks

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Jools H, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Jools H

Jools H · Newbie

Hi, Ive just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and so am now on a low carb diet. The weight is coming off nicely however im getting stuck on low carb snacks for my peckish moments. Any suggestions please?

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

30g peanuts read the packet, around 2 carbs.

Cheese, pork scratchings, olives, walnuts.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jools H

Jools H · Newbie

Thankyou

4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Berries and cream!
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits
    Sugar free jelly (Hartleys make 10 cal pre made pots which are virtually zero carb),
    Nuts:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts
    Some makes of high protein bars are also sugar free, but test to see if the polyols they use as sweeteners spike you or not, I’m lucky that they don’t, some people they do. Examples are Adonis bars:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...ars&sprefix=Adonis,aps,140&crid=2RAMZ58BMQH30
    Phd bars:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XSTS7P7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    There’s also a make called Grenade carb killers, I haven’t tried them yet.
    With all these bars you need to look for the ‘impact carbs’ not total carbs as polyols are carbs but in most people they aren’t absorbed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I bought a couple of Atkins chocolate bars. One was 30g and was ok. The other was 60g coconut bar and spiked me something rotten. Very expensive for what they are.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 · Active Member

The lowcarbprogram, via Diabete UK, has some great snack ideas and recipes
    Not sure how much you can see without paying the (one-off) sign-up fee but you can get this paid for via an NHS prescription.
    Other than that and the ideas above, I have a square of 85% chocolate or a little stevia sweetened chocolate at night.

7. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Allow me to correct you, the low carb programme is available on Diabetes.co.uk (not Diabetes UK which is a different organisation)

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. beatya

beatya Type 2 · Member

i did low carb keto for a while and i lost 6 stone, it was fantastic and im no longer in diabetic range and take no meds, however i will offer one big warning. your gut bacteria will be messed up, the fact you are diabetic will suggest theyre messed up already but keto can make it worse. if you suffer from candida it can overgrow easily and really mess you up. if i could have done things different i would have looked at a fodmap diet and avoided foods that feed candida. FOOD CRAVINGS ARE MESSAGES FROM BAD BACTERIA. BE WARNED

9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

How low carb were you? I thought candida fed on sugars?

10. feniangirl

feniangirl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What is a candida cleanse diet and what does it do? (sounds like a diabetic diet to me)
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...h/expert-answers/candida-cleanse/faq-20058174
    There are several types of candida. All are fungi. Doctors tend to treat this with anti-fungal medication.

11. feniangirl

feniangirl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Almonds and roasted pumpkin seed are my favorites.

12. Doubledube

Doubledube · Newbie

Hartleys sugar free jelly in a pot can have as.many as you like but no impact on sugar intake but the more you avoid sweeteners to substitute sugars the easier it gets to resist the sweet things and the savoury snack route is the best way to substitute the sugar cravings but be aware they contain a lot of fats

13. DGI

DGI Type 2 · Member

Please can you give more detail about this? How exactly is it messed up and which foods exactly messed it up, and how do you know. Reason I ask is because it could affect me. Tks

#13 DGI, Oct 5, 2018 at 1:33 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2018
  14. beatya

beatya Type 2 · Member

everyones different, before i was diagnosed with diabetes i had skin issues and depression ( both symptoms of diabetes but the docs failed to make the connections) i was treated with antibiotics and antidepressants. they destroyed my gut bacteria and just a recent discovery that the antidepressants may have helped make the fungus resistant to pharma treatment.
    once the fungus had a hold of me with various foods it became very difficult to find what was feeding it. its trial and error, i went to lactose free milk, turns out even that was feeding it,, oh and SURPRISE - sugar free gum, toothpaste etc all feed it. the tricky ******** can take the sorbitol or whatever and split off the chlorine molecule poop it out and keep the sugar molecule. look up 'fodmaps' to see how restrictive ive had to be to get over this, still trying :/

Edited by moderator for language.

#14 beatya, Oct 5, 2018 at 6:56 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2018
  15. beatya

beatya Type 2 · Member

milk even lactose free can feed candida, sugar free gum is not sugar free, it also feeds bacteria, they can split off the chlorine molecule off the sugar molecule. etc etc, if u really interested theres tonnes of foods that can feed candida, look up fodmaps

16. Bananas 2

Bananas 2 Parent · Well-Known Member

salami & cheese antipasto
    optionally serve with flax crackers.

any meat, ham, jerky (not sweet)

most nuts (cashews are higher in carbs)

avocado... or veggies & avocado dip

celery with peanut butter or cream cheese filling

pickles

oil and vinegar salad

hard boiled eggs, plain or deviled

17. Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

To be fair, not everyone on a keto diet has these issues, I think you're being a bit unfair and unnecessarily scaremongering, especially to those new to keto who can be easily influenced by a post like this. Your problems were there even before you became keto.. It should be the diabetic mantra....'we are not all the same'.

18. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

Which messed up your gut bacteria.
    You can't really blame your way of eating for that. So saying that keto can make it worse it a bit misleading no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. beatya

beatya Type 2 · Member

1st line says everyones different, we all have different issues, but there is science to back up that keto will alter gut bacteria, as all diets do

20. Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@beatya you could probably find 'science' to back up anything you want. It's the quality of the science and researchers that is sometimes in question.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook