Any lifters/bodybuilders out there? Phil Graham's Diabetic Muscle & Fitness Guide - any good?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I love your pseudo!

I have a friend at my gym who is T2. When he was diagnosed his GP told him he would soon be on insulin. He was terrified of this, which was somewhat misguided but fortunate, as he was inspired to start training seriously with weights. By the time I met him he was rising 60 but had built himself a terrific physique and amazed his GP with his A1cs. This despite the fact that he is pretty clueless about diet!

I am pre-diabetic, not sure if I am pre-T1 or pre-T2. I train regularly with weights and also run and walk. I have frequently checked my bg before and after exercise and have certainly not seen a rise in bg, but perhaps my exercise is just not vigorous enough! I make sure to eat lots of real-food protein before, after, and even during exercise if I start to feel hungry or tired. I don't eat carbs for exercise, as they raise my bg too much. I am probably consuming <20g carbs daily. I am hoping that my body is gradually getting used to this but it is difficult to tell as I have had a bad few months health-wise which has impacted my training, so I am necessarily weaker than I was before.

Some people find that walking after eating carbs lowers bg, but this has not worked for me.

I am not clear if you have a meter?
Thanks Alexandra! It pretty much sums me up, lioness heart and personality, and I *love* lifting.

I don't have a BG monitor/test kit yet but I'll get one as soon as I'm home on Thursday, ironically I got the call from the Doctor last week but I'm away on a work trip, talk about timing!

You're spot on, I'm building strength but also going for a full body transformation, too. I really need to figure out an optimal training regime that factors in high protein and *some* carbs, especially if today was anything to go by. That was freaky with the dizziness etc, yeesh.

I'll definitely do as Sean suggested too, monitor my BG before and after training, as at the moment I'm working 'blind', so to speak, until I get the monitor. Overall aim is to get back under diabetic range within the 3 months, then go onwards and keep building strength, discipline and consistency.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have a BG monitor/test kit yet but I'll get one as soon as I'm home on Thursday, ironically I got the call from the Doctor last week but I'm away on a work trip, talk about timing!
If you decide to go for a Codefree meter, which has the cheapest testing strips (you will need a lot of those), or the TEE2+, they are only available online. Meters available on the High Street eg the Accuchek (which some people here do prefer) are dearer both for the meter and the strips. So IF you have time where you are you might like to order straight away.
Codefree: https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/
TEE2+: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/
Don't forget to tick the box for diabetes to avoid paying VAT. You will want the readings on your meter to be in mmol/L
To read more about meters I suggest you do a search on this Forum.

Reactions: IronLioness
S

Sean01

@Sean01, thank you SO much for this! All the information is super helpful! I'm determined to keep on with my training, I need to figure out my BG levels first I think - today I had a bit of a moment which freaked me out - not had actual carb-carbs since Thursday last week when diagnosed but they must have plummeted because I felt dizzy and woozy as hell! Squire scary... Had a bit of sugary yogurt and a nap and felt fine but it came on so so suddenly I'm glad I wasn't in a gym with a barbell on my back, to be honest. Dorian Yates is the man, I like his work ethos and muscle development - best quad and chest definition! Old school don't mess around.

I'm away at the moment, back to iron on Thursday so I'll start testing out a new regime and see what works.

Thanks again!
Brilliant news. Thanks for getting back to me. In the early days, it was very up and down. Jelly babies were a huge help. Two or three did the trick.

S

Sean01

Hi @IronLioness . I’ve mentioned Phil Graham on the forum a few times. Never read any books by him only watched him on YouTube. I’ve never had the desire needed to go down the bodybuilding/ sculpting route, but PG seems to know his stuff and in my opinion comes across as genuine and well informed.
As a T1 I’m not sure any advice or tips I might have would be right for you. @Sean01 is definitely your best bet for advice and tips. Dedication all the way for this guy.
One thing I will say is this.......diabetes should not stop you from achieving anything and everything in the gym.
Diabetes has been inspirational for me over the years in life and especially in the gym.
Good luck, keep training.
Exactly. Diabetes does not mean you shut the door. I'm healthier now and definitely stronger than I was when I got married over 20 years ago. My T2 keeps me more or less on the straight and narrow and i will say that bearing in mind where my health was up to 2015, Diabetes has probably added a good few years to my life.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @IronLioness I have been diabetic for 23yrs and weight trained in one form or another, from bodybuilding to strongman and finally going into Powerlifting. All these with the knowledge and backing of my consultants as in their words " it's one of the best forms of exercise" so I'm not going to argue, if you want to increase your strength with body transformation thrown in, then rep range should be around the 5 to 8 per exercise and the movement chosen is important too, compound movements build the most mass and strength, which is fundamental to building strength. When you get back and have gotten your test kit, test before training and one hour after, this will tell you how much stress the body is under and tells you what responses the body is doing either raised levels or it's dropping until you get a liver dump. Ensure that you have some carbs onboard if training heavy as the body utilises all the fuel from the muscle and liver quickly and then uses muscle for fuel, which you don't want, so moderate carbs is the way to go for your heavy days. I won't be able to comment on your training as I don't know what you want to achieve or what you train and when, but if you are already training then you understand what you need to do. Don't let a diagnosis of diabetes hold you back, I wouldn't have done half the things training wise if I wasn't diabetic, so carry on training and enjoy it. Just remember to test your bloods before and after and good luck , but above all enjoy it.

Take care

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Brilliant news. Thanks for getting back to me. In the early days, it was very up and down. Jelly babies were a huge help. Two or three did the trick.
That's a good idea Sean, the jelly baby thing. I'll get a mini packet and keep them in my bag. I had no idea what to do but figured it must have been a sugar dip maybe, only thing available was a 2-finger Kit Kat and yoghurt, so had the Kit Kat and 4 spoons of yoghurt, excused myself (I'm still at the work event) then went and had a 30min power nap, which seemed to help. I think it might have happened as I cut out carbs totally when I got the call last week, but I watched the video a lady tagged me in yesterday about diabetes and maybe starting at 30g carb a day, see how it affects the BG, then maybe drop it if needed. I need to get home first to get my hands on a kit, methinks!

Reactions: Sean01

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@IronLioness - As someone not familiar with weight training parlance, could you indulge me a bit with what "body transformation" means? It's such a generic term that it could mean so many things, in my head.

I'm not challenging anything you're looking to achieve; I'm only curious.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Exactly. Diabetes does not mean you shut the door. I'm healthier now and definitely stronger than I was when I got married over 20 years ago. My T2 keeps me more or less on the straight and narrow and i will say that bearing in mind where my health was up to 2015, Diabetes has probably added a good few years to my life.
I find your post inspirational, Sean. I'm not giving up gym and lifting and this news has definitely given me the kick up the backside that I needed to take my health super seriously. I'm hoping I've not done toooo much damage to nerves and my poor old pancreas, I just need to keep the willpower, determination and discipline strong. Admittedly, I was totally arrogant and ignorant with my overall health beforehand, but boy oh boy am I realising the need to stay healthy, and focused on getting back under range!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need to get home first to get my hands on a kit, methinks!
Yes, being able to test whenever you want with your own meter will make all the difference. People often do feel wobbly if they suddenly lower the carbs in their diet. It mostly goes off as the body adapts. Next time if you have an episode of feeling bad, I suggest testing straight away. You may see a really low bg or a really high one! Just now I started to feel empty and shaky. I tested expecting to see a number in the low 4s - and got 5.5, so I'm going to see if a cup of tea with double cream will settle me rather than eating anything more.

You might find this article by Jenny Ruhl helpful:
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/how-to-treat-mild-hypos

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree 100%. Bought my first set of weights aged 16, diagnosed age 27, sitting here at nearly 55 and still going strong.
Before I was diagnosed I trained heavy/ hard and believed I was giving it everything. Since being diagnosed T1 many years ago I’ve found places I wouldn’t have believed existed when it comes to training.
Whether it’s the last 20 seconds of a tabata routine or the rep that I need to finish the set it’s the diabetes that gets me there.
Diabetes and conquering it in my own particular way is my biggest challenge and achievement. The weights, the pain, the burn are all secondary.
Diabetes, as strange as it may sound as probably saved my life. It’s definitely made me a better person.

Keep training heavy. Total admiration for your dedication.

Rotator cuffs. So so annoying.

S

Sean01

Agree 100%. Bought my first set of weights aged 16, diagnosed age 27, sitting here at nearly 55 and still going strong.
Before I was diagnosed I trained heavy/ hard and believed I was giving it everything. Since being diagnosed T1 many years ago I’ve found places I wouldn’t have believed existed when it comes to training.
Whether it’s the last 20 seconds of a tabata routine or the rep that I need to finish the set it’s the diabetes that gets me there.
Diabetes and conquering it in my own particular way is my biggest challenge and achievement. The weights, the pain, the burn are all secondary.
Diabetes, as strange as it may sound as probably saved my life. It’s definitely made me a better person.

Keep training heavy. Total admiration for your dedication.

Rotator cuffs. So so annoying.

My wife was Tabata on tabata Tuesdays as part of a five day a week very intense fitness training. I tried her work outs once - I lasted 4 weeks and struggled through it. She's been doing 6 weeks on 3 weeks off for nearly a year and she does strongman training on saturdays too. She lifted her first stone before me!!

I also got my first dumbells at 16 with a £50 inheritance from my Grand dad. I really struggled walking down Sutton High Street with 4 5 kg plates and two dumbell bars. Different story now....................but i still hav the plates - but they dont fit the olympic bars and collars at home.

Absolutely agree on how diabetes can bring out the determination and it's definitely increased my life expectancy and massively improved my quality of life. Who needed roast potatoes anyway.

Good talking to you and thank you

Sean

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I believe for anyone who is not body building per se then general lifting is great.

I am in the middle of testing heavier focused weights with an increase in fish or meat protein to see if this works better for me than extended walking and cardio. The aim is maximum muscle mass on the same frame to torch fat and blood sugars.

By focused weights I mean not wasting a single rep (up or down) and training to failure.

I have managed to get my lean mass readings to around 72 kg on a total mass of around 85 - 86 kg. I choose to train in any state, fasted and after a meal and I mix it up, but always total body to get glycogen depletion (eye on Type 2 mainly). I have had some minor injuries (getting old) but I bench between 80 and 110, just upped my deadlift to 150 including the bar, and am using dumbbells of 14 and 18 kg for bicep curls.

I throw in a minimum of 100 push ups a day, carried over from a 30 day challenge. No pre or post workout, this regime keeps me in shape, so I can reveal a 6 pack in 3 to 5 days on demand (for now).

I take inspiration from Ted Naiman and Shawn Baker.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hi @IronLioness I have been diabetic for 23yrs and weight trained in one form or another, from bodybuilding to strongman and finally going into Powerlifting. All these with the knowledge and backing of my consultants as in their words " it's one of the best forms of exercise" so I'm not going to argue, if you want to increase your strength with body transformation thrown in, then rep range should be around the 5 to 8 per exercise and the movement chosen is important too, compound movements build the most mass and strength, which is fundamental to building strength. When you get back and have gotten your test kit, test before training and one hour after, this will tell you how much stress the body is under and tells you what responses the body is doing either raised levels or it's dropping until you get a liver dump. Ensure that you have some carbs onboard if training heavy as the body utilises all the fuel from the muscle and liver quickly and then uses muscle for fuel, which you don't want, so moderate carbs is the way to go for your heavy days. I won't be able to comment on your training as I don't know what you want to achieve or what you train and when, but if you are already training then you understand what you need to do. Don't let a diagnosis of diabetes hold you back, I wouldn't have done half the things training wise if I wasn't diabetic, so carry on training and enjoy it. Just remember to test your bloods before and after and good luck , but above all enjoy it.

Take care
Thanks for this Jon, appreciated. I'm all about the compounds and I'll do as you and others suggest, to test before and after. I'm finished with the work project now and heading home today so should be able to get involved with monitoring immediately (I'm nowhere near shops at the moment so will get monitor at home). I'm keep to keep lifting and gym work up and you're spot on, I need to think about carb inclusion - I tried no carbs at all for 4days from diagnosis and I had a funny turn on Monday - felt weak and woozy - not good. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate all the comments.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
@IronLioness - As someone not familiar with weight training parlance, could you indulge me a bit with what "body transformation" means? It's such a generic term that it could mean so many things, in my head.

I'm not challenging anything you're looking to achieve; I'm only curious.
You're right it's subjective and generic. For me particularly, when I say body transformation I mainly mean losing weight and body fat. I've been a gym bunny with weights and cardio for 15yrs now, my core is super strong, in terms of core physicality - strong muscles, good recovery, endurance etc. My problem has been (is) **** bad habits and inconsistent diet. Over the 15yrs I've been in various physically fit/not fit states with my weight, so before the diabetes diagnoses I was already on a mission to reduce the body fat and weightloss, quite simply because I hit 40 this year in June and realised I'm not treating my body as I should. Then came the diabetes which really drilled home that message. Personally, transformation wise, I'm more about strength and power, I'd love to do a transformation show, maybe, but more than that I'm aiming at just being the absolute best physical version of myself that I can be. My theory is that the body is a machine, and I've done dedicated a lot of time to building good core inner strength and power but I really need to level up and tackle the outside issues - drop the bad habits and inconsistent diet, to reduce weight/fat loss. If that makes sense?!

Reactions: Sean01

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I believe for anyone who is not body building per se then general lifting is great.

I am in the middle of testing heavier focused weights with an increase in fish or meat protein to see if this works better for me than extended walking and cardio. The aim is maximum muscle mass on the same frame to torch fat and blood sugars.

By focused weights I mean not wasting a single rep (up or down) and training to failure.

I have managed to get my lean mass readings to around 72 kg on a total mass of around 85 - 86 kg. I choose to train in any state, fasted and after a meal and I mix it up, but always total body to get glycogen depletion (eye on Type 2 mainly). I have had some minor injuries (getting old) but I bench between 80 and 110, just upped my deadlift to 150 including the bar, and am using dumbbells of 14 and 18 kg for bicep curls.

I throw in a minimum of 100 push ups a day, carried over from a 30 day challenge. No pre or post workout, this regime keeps me in shape, so I can reveal a 6 pack in 3 to 5 days on demand (for now).

I take inspiration from Ted Naiman and Shawn Baker.
Good information, thank you for the reply. Body building, as such, is not my aim but I'm not ruling it out. I think I'd have my work cut out, but it's doable. At the moment my target is making sure the inner strength/muscle matches my outer - too many years of inconsistencies across the board. Ironically, the fitness lifestyle and sector is where I feel most comfortable/happy, usually in a gym. I need to test out the BG on tests, as you and others have said. I get the monitor when I'm home later today, and I'll be back in the gym tomorrow, so I hope to start getting some indications of what I can do, when, how much it will affect my blood glucose, or not as the case may be, and also how hard I can push myself. I'm looking forward to learning more about this side of diabetes - how exercise impacts it. Your routine is impressive, I max deadlift at 120 but had to go down the scale as carpal tunnel reared its head, but I adapt now, and it seems to work.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Yes, being able to test whenever you want with your own meter will make all the difference. People often do feel wobbly if they suddenly lower the carbs in their diet. It mostly goes off as the body adapts. Next time if you have an episode of feeling bad, I suggest testing straight away. You may see a really low bg or a really high one! Just now I started to feel empty and shaky. I tested expecting to see a number in the low 4s - and got 5.5, so I'm going to see if a cup of tea with double cream will settle me rather than eating anything more.

You might find this article by Jenny Ruhl helpful:
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/how-to-treat-mild-hypos
Thanks for this Alexandra, good article!

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this Jon, appreciated. I'm all about the compounds and I'll do as you and others suggest, to test before and after. I'm finished with the work project now and heading home today so should be able to get involved with monitoring immediately (I'm nowhere near shops at the moment so will get monitor at home). I'm keep to keep lifting and gym work up and you're spot on, I need to think about carb inclusion - I tried no carbs at all for 4days from diagnosis and I had a funny turn on Monday - felt weak and woozy - not good. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate all the comments.

Not sure if it's been mentioned or if you are aware but you also need to keep an eye on your electrolytes when you go low carb. The funny turn was most likely from a blood sugar and/or blood pressure drop so testing your blood sugar and getting the right amount of sodium are important.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Not sure if it's been mentioned or if you are aware but you also need to keep an eye on your electrolytes when you go low carb. The funny turn was most likely from a blood sugar and/or blood pressure drop so testing your blood sugar and getting the right amount of sodium are important.
Oh crikey, no, I didn't know that, thanks Safi! I think I need to work this all out, so much to test and check!

Reactions: Safi