Type2 Blog...the race is on

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bubble and Squeak....you’ve not lived!!!!! **** I cant eat that anymore either. Some call it Fry-it. Basically and it used to be the part of our weekly tucker. Sunday roast left overs mashed together cabbage, potato, carrots etc. **** good flavour.
I still have bubble and squeak I just leave out the potato

Reactions: Dean76

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I have those sweet potato fries?

I would test, and see.
People seem to have different reactions to sweet potatoes. I get high blood glucose, other people don’t. It’s very personal.

Dean76

IMG_4878.jpg

Well that was my reading at 20:30, 2 hours after munching that plate of tucker. Went for walk after dinner, still felt a bit giddy and getting back just in time to test. I feel heaps better. But tomorrow will be a trip to Boots for a similarity test. If my monitor is telling fibs then it will be denied.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a dedicated chopper thing for making bubble and squeak from cooked cauliflower and other veges, a sort of rectangle of steel with a sharp edge one side and a roll of metal as a handle on the other, just pile up all the leftovers in a good solid iron pan and chop away, scrape together and chop until suitably divided, then drop in some fat or oil, warm up and then spread the chopped up veges evenly and press down gently to compact it a little. Allow time over a moderate heat for it to cook right through and the flavours to mingle and then put it under the grill to brown the top. Some people like to put grated cheese and finely chopped onion on the top after a light browning but that might mean that it evaporated in the kitchen before it could get to the table.

Geoffno6

View attachment 28961

Well that was my reading at 20:30, 2 hours after munching that plate of tucker. Went for walk after dinner, still felt a bit giddy and getting back just in time to test. I feel heaps better. But tomorrow will be a trip to Boots for a similarity test. If my monitor is telling fibs then it will be denied.

Hi Mr photo Man @Dean76 , we wait with eager anticipation the BG tests tomorrow, I’ll run a book and say odds on favourite is that your meter is giving an mmo/l about 3.5 points low and an outside bet would be that it’s 5 points low or correct. Good luck.

Reactions: Serena51 and Dean76

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 28956

I’ve chosen the Koftas thing on skewers but told them no bread. I’m sorry but the Olives went straight in..I know they should be washed of the salt content.

I have asked for the double cheese burger with bacon, no chips and no bun but plenty of salad....

Actually, when you start low carb, you're going to lose a lot of water weight (urinate a lot; carbs hold on to water for you, without the carbs, bye bye water), and with that you'll become salt deficient, as it'll wash right out with the H2O. You'll need additional electrolytes to keep going and not become dehydrated, like bone broth or coconut milk. So right now, more salt is good to prevent headaches, fatigue, muscle- and joint aches. (Otherwise known as carb or keto flu, which'll lst a few days up to 2 weeks). So you are excused for eating salty olives. ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
could you pretty please find the Hypo course on this Forum for Dean

Hi All,

There is a link to the Hypo Awareness Programme in the forum signature of every moderator, including mine, so it is promoted all over the forum.

For those accessing the forum by a platform that doesn’t show signatures, then a quick google for ‘diabetes.co.uk hypo programme’ will take you to the following on the diabetes.co.uk website, which explains what the programme is, and links directly to it:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/education/hypo-awareness-program.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean76 and ziggy_w

Dean76

So, today is a newer beginning. What has been and present now. The time is slightly wrong on the monitor due to me not paying attention by an hour and should read 06:52. I have just woken on this soggy day of rest so lets see how the day pans out. Fair start to the day though don’t you think?

IMG_4890.jpg

Dean76

IMG_4891.jpg

Taken just before/ at first bite.

IMG_4895.jpg

Moments ago with no cheating...the sausage, bacon, egg, mushrooms, tomatoes and Coffee were divine washed down with H20! This expensive branded machine may be worth the hassle?!

T2#Me

Hi, I am Dean. Recently diagnosed 2 weeks ago with type 2. My HbAC1 was 67. I’ve always kept myself fit and active, eat sensibly and when I want or need... so I was a little downhearted when my doctor joyfully blurted out “hey i’m glad to inform you that you are diabetic”. Cheers...lucky I didn’t shove your stethoscope in your ear canal, no need to be so happy about it. I guess that was his cue for £££ with the whole government targets of hypocrisy. Yes not best pleased. Began to waffle on about diabetic nurse, medication, this that and the other. Anyway I let him finish and then explained my background in Sports Science and Nutrition. Served 11 years in the most senior regiment of the British Army and used to getting off my rear and doing something about it. I pledged a bet with him to significantly reduce my carbohydrate, sugar and fat content Over the next 6 weeks to which he could have some more of my precious red venom for analysis. I’m doing well, masses of literature on Doogle and even what I am putting in my gob has become the norm. Yesterday on the way to work all I could smell was lovely bacon wafting around.....and then around lunchtime and before I could even see KFC I could smell the flagrant aromas of that establishment....I could have cried. No I have a mental picture in my head of Roger Murtaugh sticking an onion in Martin Riggs face for stopping smoking. So that analogy sticks when I have a craving for a mega carb fix. Even succumbed to eating an avocado(alien looking berry) this morning with my oats strawberries and blueberries....nasty little green thing. Anyway, hello.

Love the positive humour ... good for you ... keep smiling and kill them carbs :)

Dean76

Been a bit busy today and this weekend. Drank all the rain too grafting outside in this hostile weather...but H2O also.

IMG_4916.jpg

Not ate since this morning and just had a late ‘snack’ to keep me going as I could feel the little dizziness thing coming on. It’s hard graft being a human working, heaps of domestic planning and construction going on, splitting time between it all and family time including much needed chores. Oh and then there is trying to cram in peace, rest and sleep time. That is something that I am now finding an even balance with. My sleep, nutrition and life style balance have not become ‘uncomfortably numb’, this week gone has shown it. I have been away working and worked my guts out at work; treating it like a gym session and knowing when to take a much needed break. Something I have ignored. It is amazing how easy it is to forget that we only need H20 and a balanced life. My weight is dropping off with all these positive eye openers I have found with Diabetes from you guys, Pro’s in ever sense.

IMG_4918.jpg

Anyway I’m pleased and believe I am finding my way accurately. So i’ll get a good nights sleep. Cheers everyone. Thank you.

IMG_4919.jpg

I love putting my feet up and getting my techie head on with all these codes.....whilst watching Gardeners World.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers look far more sensible than the ones from your previous meter. Well done.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been a bit busy today and this weekend. Drank all the rain too grafting outside in this hostile weather...but H2O also.

View attachment 28991

Not ate since this morning and just had a late ‘snack’ to keep me going as I could feel the little dizziness thing coming on. It’s hard graft being a human working, heaps of domestic planning and construction going on, splitting time between it all and family time including much needed chores. Oh and then there is trying to cram in peace, rest and sleep time. That is something that I am now finding an even balance with. My sleep, nutrition and life style balance have not become ‘uncomfortably numb’, this week gone has shown it. I have been away working and worked my guts out at work; treating it like a gym session and knowing when to take a much needed break. Something I have ignored. It is amazing how easy it is to forget that we only need H20 and a balanced life. My weight is dropping off with all these positive eye openers I have found with Diabetes from you guys, Pro’s in ever sense.

View attachment 28992

Anyway I’m pleased and believe I am finding my way accurately. So i’ll get a good nights sleep. Cheers everyone. Thank you.

View attachment 28993

I love putting my feet up and getting my techie head on with all these codes.....whilst watching Gardeners World.
A meter which makes sense...! I'm so relieved. And proud, because you're doing really well. (And you thought we were b*llsh*tting you, haha.). Congrats on your excellent control! You're managing it a lot quicker than I did, you fast learner, you. G'nite!

Reactions: Dean76 and ziggy_w

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 28991

View attachment 28992

View attachment 28993

A meter which makes sense...! I'm so relieved. And proud, because you're doing really well. (And you thought we were b*llsh*tting you, haha.). Congrats on your excellent control! You're managing it a lot quicker than I did, you fast learner, you. G'nite!