1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type2 Blog...the race is on

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Dean76, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Dean76

Dean76 · Well-Known Member

Can I have those sweet potato fries?

2. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I still have bubble and squeak I just leave out the potato

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dean76

It’s the daddy for anytime of the day isnt it, especially when its good

4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I would test, and see.
    People seem to have different reactions to sweet potatoes. I get high blood glucose, other people don’t. It’s very personal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dean76

IMG_4878.jpg

Well that was my reading at 20:30, 2 hours after munching that plate of tucker. Went for walk after dinner, still felt a bit giddy and getting back just in time to test. I feel heaps better. But tomorrow will be a trip to Boots for a similarity test. If my monitor is telling fibs then it will be denied.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I have a dedicated chopper thing for making bubble and squeak from cooked cauliflower and other veges, a sort of rectangle of steel with a sharp edge one side and a roll of metal as a handle on the other, just pile up all the leftovers in a good solid iron pan and chop away, scrape together and chop until suitably divided, then drop in some fat or oil, warm up and then spread the chopped up veges evenly and press down gently to compact it a little. Allow time over a moderate heat for it to cook right through and the flavours to mingle and then put it under the grill to brown the top. Some people like to put grated cheese and finely chopped onion on the top after a light browning but that might mean that it evaporated in the kitchen before it could get to the table.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Geoffno6

Geoffno6 · Well-Known Member

Hi Mr photo Man @Dean76 , we wait with eager anticipation the BG tests tomorrow, I’ll run a book and say odds on favourite is that your meter is giving an mmo/l about 3.5 points low and an outside bet would be that it’s 5 points low or correct. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Expert

Actually, when you start low carb, you're going to lose a lot of water weight (urinate a lot; carbs hold on to water for you, without the carbs, bye bye water), and with that you'll become salt deficient, as it'll wash right out with the H2O. You'll need additional electrolytes to keep going and not become dehydrated, like bone broth or coconut milk. So right now, more salt is good to prevent headaches, fatigue, muscle- and joint aches. (Otherwise known as carb or keto flu, which'll lst a few days up to 2 weeks). So you are excused for eating salty olives. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dean76

IMG_4879.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hi All,

There is a link to the Hypo Awareness Programme in the forum signature of every moderator, including mine, so it is promoted all over the forum.

For those accessing the forum by a platform that doesn’t show signatures, then a quick google for ‘diabetes.co.uk hypo programme’ will take you to the following on the diabetes.co.uk website, which explains what the programme is, and links directly to it:
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/education/hypo-awareness-program.html

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #150 Brunneria, Oct 12, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  11. Dean76

So, today is a newer beginning. What has been and present now. The time is slightly wrong on the monitor due to me not paying attention by an hour and should read 06:52. I have just woken on this soggy day of rest so lets see how the day pans out. Fair start to the day though don’t you think?

IMG_4890.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dean76

IMG_4891.jpg

Taken just before/ at first bite.

IMG_4895.jpg

Moments ago with no cheating...the sausage, bacon, egg, mushrooms, tomatoes and Coffee were divine washed down with H20! This expensive branded machine may be worth the hassle?!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. T2#Me

T2#Me · Well-Known Member

Love the positive humour ... good for you ... keep smiling and kill them carbs :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dean76

Been a bit busy today and this weekend. Drank all the rain too grafting outside in this hostile weather...but H2O also.

IMG_4916.jpg

Not ate since this morning and just had a late ‘snack’ to keep me going as I could feel the little dizziness thing coming on. It’s hard graft being a human working, heaps of domestic planning and construction going on, splitting time between it all and family time including much needed chores. Oh and then there is trying to cram in peace, rest and sleep time. That is something that I am now finding an even balance with. My sleep, nutrition and life style balance have not become ‘uncomfortably numb’, this week gone has shown it. I have been away working and worked my guts out at work; treating it like a gym session and knowing when to take a much needed break. Something I have ignored. It is amazing how easy it is to forget that we only need H20 and a balanced life. My weight is dropping off with all these positive eye openers I have found with Diabetes from you guys, Pro’s in ever sense.

IMG_4918.jpg

Anyway I’m pleased and believe I am finding my way accurately. So i’ll get a good nights sleep. Cheers everyone. Thank you.

IMG_4919.jpg

I love putting my feet up and getting my techie head on with all these codes.....whilst watching Gardeners World.

• Like Like x 2
  15. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Those numbers look far more sensible than the ones from your previous meter. Well done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JoKalsbeek

A meter which makes sense...! I'm so relieved. And proud, because you're doing really well. (And you thought we were b*llsh*tting you, haha.). Congrats on your excellent control! You're managing it a lot quicker than I did, you fast learner, you. G'nite!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dean76

I may have invested all-round very well my friend, thank you.

18. Dean76

19. Dean76

20. JoKalsbeek

A meter which makes sense...! I'm so relieved. And proud, because you're doing really well. (And you thought we were b*llsh*tting you, haha.). Congrats on your excellent control! You're managing it a lot quicker than I did, you fast learner, you. G'nite!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook