Had diabetes education today

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
pistachios are high carb - over 25 percent I think - way over my limit - try some lower carb options such as walnuts or almonds.
Not all coffees are created equal - I tried Costa coffee a couple of years ago and it was vile, I have also tried Starbucks and they were reusing about half the grounds - I used to work for Allied Lyons and my taste buds are quite sensitive. Coffee flavouring is quite harsh - very different from a proper cup of coffee with cream.

Oh no. I thought pistachios were ok?
Not as many as I ate last night but was starving (first mistake not cooking)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If only we could give you a menu, unfortunately diabetes is not like that. Foods have a different affect on us as individuals that is why we need our meter.

You need to read the back of the labels for everything. Weigh out a portion, 30g of peanuts (say) is a good enough snack for me.

Are you using the mySugr app? Very good at logging your food and readings.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I just don’t tend to add it.

I don’t know if I’m just very sensitive to it but I find I’m am dying of thirst for hours after. I sometimes put a little bit of I cook but usually forget. In the last couple weeks I’ve reduced the amount of red meat and bacon and used turkey rashers (unsalted) so it’s possible it’s just too little

I don't add loads of salt, just about half a teaspoon full a day, I take a tablet for high blood pressure so I don't want to upset that. this amount I don't taste and it does not effect my thirst either.

Is there a reason you have reduced red meat and bacon? These things are good for our diet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be fine with pistachios and cashews, but other people find them problematic.
Just try them and see. :)
Certainly, a handful of nuts (any nut) is going to raise your bg a lot less than (say) a sandwich. Plus, some packs of nuts are salted, if you want to increase salt intake.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I don't add loads of salt, just about half a teaspoon full a day, I take a tablet for high blood pressure so I don't want to upset that. this amount I don't taste and it does not effect my thirst either.

Is there a reason you have reduced red meat and bacon? These things are good for our diet.

My cholesterol was slightly high so just trying to reduce the amount of bad fats.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Woooo peanut butter is a go!! Just tested and 7.3!!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those on the road a lot can I just say I continue to be impressed by M&S deli selection 3 for £7 which includes 3 varieties of ham and cheese rollitos, crispy bacon slices, packs of vsrious flavoured cold chicken, etc. (All low/no carb) Tbere are many M&S Simply Food outlets at BP garages and elsewhere.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For those on the road a lot can I just say I continue to be impressed by M&S deli selection 3 for £7 which includes 3 varieties of ham and cheese rollitos, crispy bacon slices, packs of vsrious flavoured cold chicken, etc. (All low/no carb) Tbere are many M&S Simply Food outlets at BP garages and elsewhere.
I was a bit disappointed to find M&S chicken has brown sugar added to it!! So unnecessary. Tesco one doesn’t. M&S crispy bacon is the best though.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@Cana Google low carb muffins, keto biscuits etc. Some can be frozen or just keep in the fridge.

Weigh out 30g of nuts and put in small bag. Read the label on the back for carb content.

If you Google keto snacks or fat bombs, you may find things that appeal.

If you have a good wide thermos, think about soups, stews ect, especially for winter.

I’m looking at fat bombs and it says they are free of refined sugar but the cocoa powder says it’s loaded with sugar.

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are all sorts, sweet and savoury.

I use cocoa powder, there is no sugar in it. If you like chocolate cake, google chocolate keto mug cake. Enough for two servings, loads of double cream. And it takes around 2 minutes to make. Yum.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
There are all sorts, sweet and savoury.

I use cocoa powder, there is no sugar in it. If you like chocolate cake, google chocolate keto mug cake. Enough for two servings, loads of double cream. And it takes around 2 minutes to make. Yum.

IMG_9605.jpg
IMG_9606.jpg

Does this not mean it has sugar in it?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you go for a dutch process cocoa powder, be aware that you shouldn't use baking soda with it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m looking at fat bombs and it says they are free of refined sugar but the cocoa powder says it’s loaded with sugar.

The Cadbury's cocoa is 14 percent carbs.
The cocoa powder I use is about 8 percent carbs - I just look for the one with the least amount, as they do vary.