Had diabetes education today

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for advice. Have had brief look and already feels better. Will keep looking and resting properly.

One question.

Today I feel lousy. Feel weak headache tired and just generally off. Struggling to be sociable etc because I just feel icky.

Been eating all morning, had normal breakfast, almonds peanut butter (felt off and needed to teach so ate to get some energy)

I know if I went and had a bottle of Diet Coke it would make me feel better but also it then makes me struggle as I want sugar. So don’t want that.

Levels are fine as 9.0 so I’m not low or even false hypo. But I feel like they are on the floor.

Any ideas?

Probably cancelling my last lesson today as just don’t think I have the energy to teach
You're probably detoxing from carbs. It's called carb- or keto-flu. It lasts a few days up to a week or two, but honest, it is worth it. Have some salt and drink loads. Bone broth is even better. It really does feel like a flu (lethargic, aches in muschles and joints), hence the name. Drink, drink, drink some more, and keep hydrated. (Hence the addition of salt, you're probably low in electrolytes. Oh, coconut milk is good too! Loads of electrolytes in that!). Your body needs to adjust. And it will.

Honeyend

I think you have to give yourself a break. If you are teaching someone to drive you wouldn't expect them to get everything right all the time. You are doing your research, that's a tick. Set achievable goals, if you have a diet coke its not going to do anything to your BS, but may help you through the day, just keep off the sweets and Cadbury's.
Do not forget the psychological effects this having on you, you sound like to be on top of things and this is scary, and it will make you tired. Give yourself time.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
In the old measure that I still use, that is 10.1% which I have never attained that high a reading.

Yeah right, time for you to find a new DE...
Amateur! I have ;) My record is 131, a hideous 14.1% :hungover:

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
The hardest part of LCHf is getting over carb addiction. Once you have done that the cravings for carbs decreases significantly. You are going through the toughest part right now, it will get better. As your numbers drop you will feel better.

I don’t think it is withdrawal. I’ve not eaten any less carbs than I have recently. Can’t get anything until shopping comes on Saturday. I’ve reduced carbs and sugars drastically but that’s over 2 months ago.

The only difference is that last night was too tired and blinding headache to cook so had bowl of fruit with Greek yogurt done hazelnuts and seeds. So wondering if I just did t eat enough last night.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I think you have to give yourself a break. If you are teaching someone to drive you wouldn't expect them to get everything right all the time. You are doing your research, that's a tick. Set achievable goals, if you have a diet coke its not going to do anything to your BS, but may help you through the day, just keep off the sweets and Cadbury's.
Do not forget the psychological effects this having on you, you sound like to be on top of things and this is scary, and it will make you tired. Give yourself time.

I did last week. I had Diet Coke and ended up eating more carbs and even more coke in the days that followed. Brain reacted as though I’d gone back on the sugar.
Threw my diet completely so don’t want to risk that again.

I wouldn’t just have the one today.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think it is withdrawal. I’ve not eaten any less carbs than I have recently. Can’t get anything until shopping comes on Saturday. I’ve reduced carbs and sugars drastically but that’s over 2 months ago.

The only difference is that last night was too tired and blinding headache to cook so had bowl of fruit with Greek yogurt done hazelnuts and seeds. So wondering if I just did t eat enough last night.

Hi @Cana,

Are you having enough salt?

Lowering your carb intake causes you your body to retain less water with this also less salt. Also, on a low-carb diet we tend to eat much less pre-salted processed food. So, increasing salt intake (e.g. by having a bit of broth) often helps.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi @Cana,

Are you having enough salt?

Lowering your carb intake causes you your body to retain less water with this also less salt. Also, on a low-carb diet we tend to eat much less pre-salted processed food. So, increasing salt intake (e.g. by having a bit of broth) often helps.

Probably not having much to be honest.
I don’t like salty food because it makes me even more thirsty than I already am.
Could it be that?

Hmmm I’ll have to eat some bacon

Reactions: Alison Campbell

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w poses a good question... I lowered my salt intake when I started to eat differently, (it's not just carbs that get added into just about everything pre-prepaired; salt too!) and my heart went haywire. My bloodpressure is always on the low side, so it was dipping a little too far. (At first I thought it was my thyroid, but changing my dosage didn't help). Feeling better since I just have a bit of salt every now and again throughout my day. Even have little packets in my jeans in case of emergency. It's just an idea, but... It could help.

Reactions: ziggy_w

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You said you had fruit for breakfast. What sort of fruit?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Just googled it. That hits the nail on the head. Other than cramps and vomiting etc I’m there.
Now got to work out how to add it. I don’t usually add salt

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just googled it. That hits the nail on the head. Other than cramps and vomiting etc I’m there.
I put some in my coffee.. as well as dipping butter in it.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I used to never add salt to anything but I found I needed it for cramps etc. on LCHF. I use pink salt as it also contains potassium and manganese which are also often lacking in the LCHF diet.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I add a small amount of salt and some cinnamon to my first cup of coffee each day.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
If you don't want to add it to food, how about half a teaspoon in a glass of water?

Eugh no.

Hate salty anything.

Aren’t pistachios salty? I ate loads last night

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I add a small amount of salt and some cinnamon to my first cup of coffee each day.

I detest coffeee. Even with my love for chocolate I can’t eat coffee chocolate

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
pistachios are high carb - over 25 percent I think - way over my limit - try some lower carb options such as walnuts or almonds.
Not all coffees are created equal - I tried Costa coffee a couple of years ago and it was vile, I have also tried Starbucks and they were reusing about half the grounds - I used to work for Allied Lyons and my taste buds are quite sensitive. Coffee flavouring is quite harsh - very different from a proper cup of coffee with cream.

Last edited:

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I think I read it wrong! I thought you said do not add to food and wondered if there was something I should know.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Sorry I think I read it wrong! I thought you said do not add to food and wondered if there was something I should know.

No I just don’t tend to add it.

I don’t know if I’m just very sensitive to it but I find I’m am dying of thirst for hours after. I sometimes put a little bit of I cook but usually forget. In the last couple weeks I’ve reduced the amount of red meat and bacon and used turkey rashers (unsalted) so it’s possible it’s just too little