T1 and prolonged 16:8 fasting - risks?

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi y'all. here to ask about fasting again, question as per post title.

i've been practicing the 16:8 for possibly a total of 2wks now, not consecutive days. i've studied this intensively for a month, both fasting and my own metabolism. i've established my basal rate and ICR too.
so i just came back from my endocrinologist and, to cut things short, she wanted me to stop, not even reading my complete record of BSLs, food intake and observations. but she didn't exactly explain why, except to say there's a large risk of hypo. (but i know that that could happen IF my insulin units are out of whack, which they are not, as easily seen from my readings.)
our consultation ended with her telling me to continue if i want, but to limit it to only 12hrs.
i've searched online but medical articles mostly just point the same thing, and personal articles only ever give praise to fasting, so i'm hoping to get some more in-depth explanations to the why's and why not's of fasting for T1s. expert and/or personal opinions welcome. TIA!

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally eat dinner at 7 and skip breakfast (drink coffee though) so fasting 16hours. When you skip a meal you don't bolus so I don't see why skipping a meal means a large risk of hypo. I would think if anything it means safer.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Likewise. Most days I don't have breakfast so will go from 1900ish to 1300ish without eating. Doesn't seem to bother my endocrinologist. So long as you have your basal and ratios sorted I can't see it being a problem. Sometimes it's seems a shame to eat and spoil a lovely flat line on the Libre.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you trying to lose weight or just looking for better glucose control?

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally eat dinner at 7 and skip breakfast (drink coffee though) so fasting 16hours. When you skip a meal you don't bolus so I don't see why skipping a meal means a large risk of hypo. I would think if anything it means safer.
Likewise. Most days I don't have breakfast so will go from 1900ish to 1300ish without eating. Doesn't seem to bother my endocrinologist. So long as you have your basal and ratios sorted I can't see it being a problem. Sometimes it's seems a shame to eat and spoil a lovely flat line on the Libre.
same here. i finish dinner at 8pm and break the fast with lunch at 12nn the next day. Lantus at 9am regularly, no bolus. i absolutely love how smooth my BSLs are, so surprised with my endo's reaction.

edit: by the by, how long have you both been fasting? no breaks?

Last edited:

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you trying to lose weight or just looking for better glucose control?
mostly for better glucose control, a tiny bit for weight maintenance. i mainly want to stick to a certain (albeit rough) cal count so i could stay within my BMI range. my range is 118-125 pounds, and i started when i was at 125, now im at my ideal 121. i intend to keep it there.

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't consider it fasting really. Just not a breakfast sort of person.
If it works, right? :cool: i didn't know about being able to skip meals before. It was embedded in my brain that i need to eat because i'm taking insulin, when it should be the other way around. So this practice has been liberating and matches my lifestyle well too.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
same here. i finish dinner at 8pm and break the fast with lunch at 12nn the next day. Lantus at 9am regularly, no bolus. i absolutely love how smooth my BSLs are, so surprised with my endo's reaction.

edit: by the by, how long have you both been fasting? no breaks?

Maybe around 2 years, no problem. I make sure I'm getting enough calories from other meals to maintain weight

Reactions: slaxxfb

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've hesitated to join in here as I only know a little about Type 1 but I would say @slaxxfb that is it works for you then carry on. Your Endo sounds a bit "old school" and is fearful of fasting without really any cause. Its a tool I use every day doing a similar 16:8 protocol to you as well as a few extended fasts. Obviously you are monitoring your blood sugar levels so are on top of what is going on. Just in case you needed some extra support.

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, much appreciated @bulkbiker kinda disconcerting to have to decide between following what seems good for me, or following an expert's advice. Not to say she's not good (she really is) but this time i feel i might be more aware of what's happening to me. Thanks again