Type 2 Just Not Hungry

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on July 6th. I started the low-carb diet then.

Does anyone find that you're just not hungry? I can go 12-16 hours without food and I'm not hungry.

I know I need to eat more, especially fat, for fuel, but I can't. I'm full and the thought of eating makes me ill.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on July 6th. I started the low-carb diet then.

Does anyone find that you're just not hungry? I can go 12-16 hours without food and I'm not hungry.

I know I need to eat more, especially fat, for fuel, but I can't. I'm full and the thought of eating makes me ill.
The point of fat and protein is that you feel full. If you're not hungry, *you don't have to eat*. Quite a few people here practice intermittent fasting besides lchf/keto. They sometimes go 24 hours without eating, of only have one or two meals a day. I'm skipping breakfast every day, works fine.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The point of fat and protein is that you feel full. If you're not hungry, *you don't have to eat*. Quite a few people here practice intermittent fasting besides lchf/keto. They sometimes go 24 hours without eating, of only have one or two meals a day. I'm skipping breakfast every day, works fine.
Thank you. I have two concerns.

One, I had no energy this week and since I'm only eating once every 16 or so hours I don't think I'm eating enough for fuel.

Two, I wonder about the effect on my BG. I just had a 7.4 mmol reading. That's the highest it's been in over a month. I've been in the 4.2-5.8 mmol range. I wonder if I had a liver dump because my liver is trying to help me out with some energy.

Reactions: Serena51

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How are your sugar levels?

I've always been in two minds about snacking, do and they spread the inputs around and so reduce the highs and lows or don't and they give the system a rest.

I've been low carb for +4 years and been amazed how hunger pangs / not feeling full have disappeared...
until last night.
Had an evening meal of rump steak in a Gorgonzola double cream sauce, some peas and a green salad with toms and an avocado and a glass of red wine. It was good and yet.... when I finished I didn't feel sated at all.... could have eaten the whole thing over again in a blink.

Reactions: neithskye
D

Deleted Account

Thank you. I have two concerns.

One, I had no energy this week and since I'm only eating once every 16 or so hours I don't think I'm eating enough for fuel.

Two, I wonder about the effect on my BG. I just had a 7.4 mmol reading. That's the highest it's been in over a month. I've been in the 4.2-5.8 mmol range. I wonder if I had a liver dump because my liver is trying to help me out with some energy.
Has the last week been different ?
I ask because stress or the start of an illness (which your body may fight off without any other symptoms) may make you feel lacking in energy and push your bg higher and once you reduce stress or kick the bug, you get your oomph back and bg fall.

Reactions: neithskye

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has the last week been different ?
I ask because stress or the start of an illness (which your body may fight off without any other symptoms) may make you feel lacking in energy and push your bg higher and once you reduce stress or kick the bug, you get your oomph back and bg fall.

No, I haven't been hungry in a while. Since August at least. I know because I hired a personal trainer for a few sessions and she's been on my case about not eating enough.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are your sugar levels?

I've always been in two minds about snacking, do and they spread the inputs around and so reduce the highs and lows or don't and they give the system a rest.

I've been low carb for +4 years and been amazed how hunger pangs / not feeling full have disappeared...
until last night.
Had an evening meal of rump steak in a Gorgonzola double cream sauce, some peas and a green salad with toms and an avocado and a glass of red wine. It was good and yet.... when I finished I didn't feel sated at all.... could have eaten the whole thing over again in a blink.

At diagnosis in July my mmol was 16.2. It's steadily decreased since then. I was in the 4.2-5.8 range for the past three weeks. Yesterday it spiked to 7.4 and I don't know why.

My A1C in July was 11.8%. Last week for my three-month blood test it was 6.1%.

Reactions: hankjam

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be entering the phase I went through of really erratic readings.
After steady low readings for a while suddenly they were all over the place. I just put it down to my metabolism and liver getting sorted out - later I realized that I had lost weight so perhaps it was my liver getting rid of fat stores.
As long as I did not see over 8 after meals I just kept on with low carbing and it all settled down again after a little while - and a whole new wardrobe.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might be entering the phase I went through of really erratic readings.
After steady low readings for a while suddenly they were all over the place. I just put it down to my metabolism and liver getting sorted out - later I realized that I had lost weight so perhaps it was my liver getting rid of fat stores.
As long as I did not see over 8 after meals I just kept on with low carbing and it all settled down again after a little while - and a whole new wardrobe.

Thanks for that.

I forgot to say that last weekend was Thanksgiving here in Canada and I splurged on half an apple crumble pie. It was the first carby, sugar thing I'd eaten since July. My BG spiked at 8.0 but hasn't stabilized since. I thought it had - my second last reading was 4.8 - then back up to 7.4.

I'm still not hungry.

I'm three months in and I guess I have to remind myself it's going to take longer than three months to stabilize. :)