Portion sizes do you weigh

fran57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, and cheats.
Hi all, just wondering do you weigh you food, last night I had a pack of cauliflower rice 300 grams, but not sure if that was too much, also 2 salmon fillets with it, I just love salmon lol....or do you just eat the amounts you want x

D

Deleted Account

I weigh to calculate the amount of carbs in my food but I don't limit portion size.
This may be different if I was trying to lose weight.

Reactions: lessci and fran57

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't weigh, never have done but have a rough idea of the portion sizes I eat vs the insulin required.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I weigh things like nuts. When I first started LCHf I didn't weigh anything, I badly underestimated some items which accounted for some high numbers.

Reactions: Pasha

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to weigh everything but now have a good idea what portions of regularly eaten foods look like. I check myself from time to time to make sure the portions aren’t creeping bigger! I do weigh ingredients for recipes though.

Reactions: fran57

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At the beginning I weighed or counted everything that went in my mouth, but soon became used to seeing the right portion on my plate so was able to stop.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I weigh everything (if I’m not having a whole pack of whatever it is) so I can dose for my carbs and protein correctly. If I’m out I rely on MyFitnessPal a lot to give me the correct amounts, but that’s not infallible.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The carb count is on the packet as a percentage - multiply by three and you know how many carbs you had.
Cauliflower is low carb, so you might be pleased by the total.
After eating you can test to see how you react to the meal - maybe even jot down the details and then see if you might need to make an adjustment or could perhaps try adding something more. Knowing makes it easy.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, just wondering do you weigh you food, last night I had a pack of cauliflower rice 300 grams, but not sure if that was too much, also 2 salmon fillets with it, I just love salmon lol....or do you just eat the amounts you want x

I used to weigh but once I got used to the sizes I use cups as simple measures. Every month or so I re weigh to check whether my sizes have changed.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooooh...life’s too short to weigh stuff. As I low carb I am not too concerned re portions sizes, I don’t have a big appetite anyway.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I weighed everything at first, now I weigh things that have carbs to make sure I don't accidentally eat too much (I aim for a max of 85g carbs a day). I also use the food diary in the lowcarbprogram to keep an eye on my carb intake.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh most things like meat and fish because they are quite hard to guess especially after cooking.
Veg I used to guess based on the pack size.
Bacon I worked out a value per rasher by weighing 1 and then just multiply by however many rashers I eat (lots).
I record rather than eat to specific macros so don't limit anything apart from carbs really.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I had to weigh stuff it would make eating a chore, and I'd also have to think........

Now I don't like chores, and thinking about diabetes is last thing I can be bothered about.

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I weigh everything, not particularly portion control but for me to write the carb values in my food diary.

I think it is a matter of finding a way that works for you.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I don't weigh but have looked up all macros and recorded them on the carbscontrol app and log them daily. Having my usual foods on the database makes it a matter of seconds to record.
I am primarily concerned with carbs but it's interesting to see what the other nutrients are like and their relative percentages.
I'm not usually hungry on keto so don't need to obsess about restricting.

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
I don't weight everything, but I do measure portion sizes. When I'm making up meals to take to work I use a measure to keep the portions a constant size. This helps with my attempts at weight loss

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t weigh anything unless it’s for a recipe or a joint of meat to roast. I don’t record anything either - I rely on my and my meters’ memory.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never worry about my actual meal portion sizes as such: I watch and maybe adjust quantities for anything that might be slightly higher than my normal carb consumption. Initially I did weigh or check some things occasonally but this was because I needed to be aware of those carbs. So I eat according to how hungry I am, and like @Daphne917, use my meter readings & logs and previous experience to guide me regarding glucose levels (and if needs be I'll rely on my scales and clothes fit for weight.)

However you need to do what you feel most comfortable with. It may be that while you're learning you'll be more concious of the need to weigh and measure than later when you have some experience to fall back on. But you may also feel keeping a very close eye on portions gives you a better feeling of control? There's no right or wrong way, just as long as you end up achieving the results you aim for.

Robbity

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The books carbs and cals shows pictures with potion sizes and weights so it is very helpful when you are unable to weigh your food.