1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Portion sizes do you weigh

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by fran57, Oct 19, 2018.

1. fran57

fran57 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi all, just wondering do you weigh you food, last night I had a pack of cauliflower rice 300 grams, but not sure if that was too much, also 2 salmon fillets with it, I just love salmon lol....or do you just eat the amounts you want x

2. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

I weigh to calculate the amount of carbs in my food but I don't limit portion size.
    This may be different if I was trying to lose weight.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't weigh, never have done but have a rough idea of the portion sizes I eat vs the insulin required.

4. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I weigh things like nuts. When I first started LCHf I didn't weigh anything, I badly underestimated some items which accounted for some high numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I used to weigh everything but now have a good idea what portions of regularly eaten foods look like. I check myself from time to time to make sure the portions aren’t creeping bigger! I do weigh ingredients for recipes though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

At the beginning I weighed or counted everything that went in my mouth, but soon became used to seeing the right portion on my plate so was able to stop.

7. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I weigh everything (if I’m not having a whole pack of whatever it is) so I can dose for my carbs and protein correctly. If I’m out I rely on MyFitnessPal a lot to give me the correct amounts, but that’s not infallible.

8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

The carb count is on the packet as a percentage - multiply by three and you know how many carbs you had.
    Cauliflower is low carb, so you might be pleased by the total.
    After eating you can test to see how you react to the meal - maybe even jot down the details and then see if you might need to make an adjustment or could perhaps try adding something more. Knowing makes it easy.

9. Goacher55

Goacher55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I used to weigh but once I got used to the sizes I use cups as simple measures. Every month or so I re weigh to check whether my sizes have changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

I weigh everything, stops my natural tendency to cheat a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. rosco 2

rosco 2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ooooh...life’s too short to weigh stuff. As I low carb I am not too concerned re portions sizes, I don’t have a big appetite anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I weighed everything at first, now I weigh things that have carbs to make sure I don't accidentally eat too much (I aim for a max of 85g carbs a day). I also use the food diary in the lowcarbprogram to keep an eye on my carb intake.

13. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I weigh most things like meat and fish because they are quite hard to guess especially after cooking.
    Veg I used to guess based on the pack size.
    Bacon I worked out a value per rasher by weighing 1 and then just multiply by however many rashers I eat (lots).
    I record rather than eat to specific macros so don't limit anything apart from carbs really.

14. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If I had to weigh stuff it would make eating a chore, and I'd also have to think........

Now I don't like chores, and thinking about diabetes is last thing I can be bothered about.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Glennis67

Glennis67 Type 2 · Active Member

I weigh everything, not particularly portion control but for me to write the carb values in my food diary.

I think it is a matter of finding a way that works for you.

16. Angelofthemarches

Angelofthemarches Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't weigh but have looked up all macros and recorded them on the carbscontrol app and log them daily. Having my usual foods on the database makes it a matter of seconds to record.
    I am primarily concerned with carbs but it's interesting to see what the other nutrients are like and their relative percentages.
    I'm not usually hungry on keto so don't need to obsess about restricting.

17. TTTE

TTTE Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't weight everything, but I do measure portion sizes. When I'm making up meals to take to work I use a measure to keep the portions a constant size. This helps with my attempts at weight loss

18. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I don’t weigh anything unless it’s for a recipe or a joint of meat to roast. I don’t record anything either - I rely on my and my meters’ memory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I never worry about my actual meal portion sizes as such: I watch and maybe adjust quantities for anything that might be slightly higher than my normal carb consumption. Initially I did weigh or check some things occasonally but this was because I needed to be aware of those carbs. So I eat according to how hungry I am, and like @Daphne917, use my meter readings & logs and previous experience to guide me regarding glucose levels (and if needs be I'll rely on my scales and clothes fit for weight.)

However you need to do what you feel most comfortable with. It may be that while you're learning you'll be more concious of the need to weigh and measure than later when you have some experience to fall back on. But you may also feel keeping a very close eye on portions gives you a better feeling of control? There's no right or wrong way, just as long as you end up achieving the results you aim for.

Robbity

20. Ann1982

Ann1982 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The books carbs and cals shows pictures with potion sizes and weights so it is very helpful when you are unable to weigh your food.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook