Theresa May Misleading People Regarding Glucose Monitor

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On Wednesday, 17 October, during PMQs, the Prime Minister was asked why she had a blood glucose monitor when so many people weren't able to have them prescribed. She answered that they were available on the NHS, which I believe is very misleading when many Type 1s aren't even offered them and when asking, get told they aren't available to them.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I agree it’s misleading it’s down to the policy of each CCG as to whether people can get access to them or not, postcode lottery therefore.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Rank has its priviledge , She is speaking from her own experience.
Its perfectly understandable.
Mrs May - I heard there is advancement in BG monitoring technology, that now offers continuous BG monitoring to patients on the NHS :nailbiting:
Mrs May's GP- Sorry Mrs May we cannot offer you the device. because we cannot afford it

Me - Yeah right :hilarious:

D

Deleted Account

She provided an honest politician’s answer by saying Libre is available on the NHS.
I expect nothing less from her ... or any other politician.
It was a huge shame the MP who raised the question did not ask about the Libre postcode lottery which I believe is the issue.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm afraid it was me that alerted the P.M. about the Freestyle system a couple of years ago when I saw her being interviewed and the subject of her diabetes came up. She did mention about the constant need to finger prick, so I wrote her a letter informing her about the Freestyle system and received a reply from her private secretary informing me that the P.M. was not aware of Freestyle but would look into it. Other than the government insisting that local CCG's make the system available, there's little else they can do. Lets be honest there's no money available in the NHS at the moment for this, is there. Of course you could always stop breast enlargement/reduction surgery, stop IVF treatment and many other non essential procedures.

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm afraid it was me that alerted the P.M. about the Freestyle system a couple of years ago when I saw her being interviewed and the subject of her diabetes came up. She did mention about the constant need to finger prick, so I wrote her a letter informing her about the Freestyle system and received a reply from her private secretary informing me that the P.M. was not aware of Freestyle but would look into it. Other than the government insisting that local CCG's make the system available, there's little else they can do. Lets be honest there's no money available in the NHS at the moment for this, is there. Of course you could always stop breast enlargement/reduction surgery, stop IVF treatment and many other non essential procedures.
Funny how the magic money tree blooms whem Mrs May needs to pay someone off but not enough paid into NHS!

Last edited:

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
So what you are all saying is Mrs May is a fantastic politician. She gets everything she wants at no cost to her... she lies without being able to be challenged to her lie and ignores you unless close to an election when she will lie to you and promise the world. Wow the only better job is being a royal. Speaking of which Harry has escaped, he is over here making life hell here for normal people (massive traffic jams etc) and hardly anyone is turning up to see him, will one of you UK lot come over here and collect him give, him a whack for running away and make certain he doesn't do it again, oh and we can't afford him and his Mrs that wanders around behind him.
Remember it doesn't matter who you vote for you always end up with a politician.

Reactions: Dodo and Prem51

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You forgot about NHS management being paid thousands for just a few months contract.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You forgot about NHS management being paid thousands for just a few months contract.

Nail, meet head . I would imagine management is where some of the problem lies in the regional prescribing variations (or postcode lottery if you prefer).

Future potential complications don't fall under their budgets and forecasts which likely look at the short to medium term cost. A case of not their problem but they have saved x £ks for the next couple of years by nitpicking this, that and the other on their spreadsheets.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Nail, meet head . I would imagine management is where some of the problem lies in the regional prescribing variations (or postcode lottery if you prefer).

Future potential complications don't fall under their budgets and forecasts which likely look at the short to medium term cost. A case of not their problem but they have saved x £ks for the next couple of years by nitpicking this, that and the other on their spreadsheets.

Well, if a diabetic dies from a DKA or a severe hypo, they aren't going to cost the NHS more money, are they?
(OK, sarcasm over.)
Realistically, I suspect that the Theresa May is seeing a consultant privately (she's hardly going to sit waiting in a queue in an NHS waiting room), and she may well be self funding her libre, or at least have done so in the past.

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, if a diabetic dies from a DKA or a severe hypo, they aren't going to cost the NHS more money, are they?
(OK, sarcasm over.)
Realistically, I suspect that the Theresa May is seeing a consultant privately (she's hardly going to sit waiting in a queue in an NHS waiting room), and she may well be self funding her libre, or at least have done so in the past.
I think MPs should be expected to use the NHS so that they understand what the public have to go through! They are public servants after all !! They should also have had the pay freeze and a cap on their wages too!!

D

Deleted Account

Of course you could always stop breast enlargement/reduction surgery, stop IVF treatment and many other non essential procedures.
I get the point you are making but you could have done so without sexiest examples.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course you could always stop breast enlargement/reduction surgery, stop IVF treatment and many other non essential procedures.
They already have in most cases. Even stopped reconstruction of breasts after mastectomies so some breast cancer patients now have uneven breasts which really affects their confidence when they go out.

Reactions: anniehi41

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On Wednesday, 17 October, during PMQs, the Prime Minister was asked why she had a blood glucose monitor when so many people weren't able to have them prescribed. She answered that they were available on the NHS, which I believe is very misleading when many Type 1s aren't even offered them and when asking, get told they aren't available to them.
It am sure plenty of people do get them on the NHS if they are felt to be really necessary for them and that is probably not T2's who are not on insulin. What is the criteria to actually need one.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It am sure plenty of people do get them on the NHS if they are felt to be really necessary for them and that is probably not T2's who are not on insulin. What is the criteria to actually need one.

Probably different hospitals have different criteria's and funding too.
Type 1 for 29 years, summer 2018, critically ill in ICU, when recovering, was told I fit the criteria to get one. So when I had my appointment 6 weeks later at the hospital diabetes clinic, I couldn't have one. But, if I said I couldn't cope anymore, can't do finger pricks anymore, throw a hissy fit or give an possible Oscar winning performance, then I would have some of the criteria.
I could really, really do with one, but, I can't afford to buy it myself.