Statins

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive finally caved in and accepted statins against my better judgement I’ve just read the common side effects 1 in 10 people can have including raised blood sugar joint muscle and back pain has anyone experienced these side effects?
I think I’ve talked myself out of taking the tablets
Thanks Jan

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I took a statin (Atorvastatin) for 7 days. By day 5 I had muscle pain and weakness in my arms (from elbow to bottom of neck).

Have a look at Bulkbiker's thread that he linked to above, it is an eye opener.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
✋ Caused me very sharp pain in my feet and ankles but strangely only when I was relaxing in the evenings

Reactions: serinak
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not allowed to offer you medical advice but I am allowed to tell you my story. A couple of weeks on statins and I couldn't walk. I was in a chair for a month. After that a different statin was tried and it happened again. Another month in a chair. Yet another statin was tried and my body went rigid. My shoulders were hot and I couldn't move my head. I was sent to see the physio. A week off the tablets and I got better.

I am not convinced that I fully recovered from the above. My legs have never been right.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you do take the statins do take some COq10 capsules to replace the Vitamin murdered by the statins.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If you can tolerate statins, then you are surely blesesd. Had boxes of the junk I burnt in an open fire

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why does your doctor think you need statins? Does he think your cholesterol is high, and if so, what was your cholesterol, including the full breakdown (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides) or do you have heart or CVD problems?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive finally caved in and accepted statins against my better judgement I’ve just read the common side effects 1 in 10 people can have including raised blood sugar joint muscle and back pain has anyone experienced these side effects?
Thanks Jan
Yes! I was diagnosed with hba1c of 48 which increased to 54 after I started taking statins. I came off them with my doctors consent after experiencing dizzy spells and disturbed sleep and my hba1c reduced quite quickly to non diabetic levels and has been in the 30s for at least 4 years. I will not take statins again and tell anybody whose dr is wanting them to take them to research and then decide.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yes! I was diagnosed with hba1c of 48 which increased to 54 after I started taking statins. I came off them with my doctors consent after experiencing dizzy spells and disturbed sleep and my hba1c reduced quite quickly to non diabetic levels and has been in the 30s for at least 4 years. I will not take statins again and tell anybody whose dr is wanting them to take them to research and then decide.

You hit the nail right on the head. Everyone should make the decision regarding statins only after doing their own research and assessing their own risk/benefit.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
ok I have taken statins for years some times I get arm muscle aches which have disapeared after repeated applications of ibrufen gel... I would like to say i never had diabetes when i started them and convinced they contributed to me getting diabetes but am still on them as did take myself off them once and the DOC said your colestrol is up get back on them lol

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When I first took Simvastatin I did get muscle pain in my shoulders and upper arms. I stopped taking them, but my gp persuaded me to take them again. Idid and the muscle pain did go after a few weeks. I took the statins for about 6-7 years until I was diagnosed T2, and found that they might have been a contributory factor to my diagnosis, among others.
I don't think my cholesterol is too high, 5.5 at HbA1c this month, so I have declined my gps advice to go on them again. From what I read higher cholesterol may be beneficial for older men.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jan
Life was pain with that stuff. Can't tell you what it did to my bs because at that time I was figuring my diet out still. But yeah. Pain. Joint & muscle, back too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok I have taken statins for years some times I get arm muscle aches which have disapeared after repeated applications of ibrufen gel... I would like to say i never had diabetes when i started them and convinced they contributed to me getting diabetes but am still on them as did take myself off them once and the DOC said your colestrol is up get back on them lol
And if higher cholesterol is protective in older women as it would seem then...you may be doing yourself (and your health) a great disservice..What were your levels when they were "up"?

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not allowed to offer you medical advice but I am allowed to tell you my story. A couple of weeks on statins and I couldn't walk. I was in a chair for a month. After that a different statin was tried and it happened again. Another month in a chair. Yet another statin was tried and my body went rigid. My shoulders were hot and I couldn't move my head. I was sent to see the physio. A week off the tablets and I got better.

I am not convinced that I fully recovered from the above. My legs have never been right.
something very similar happened to me. After 26 days on statins I had to crawl up the stairs on hands and knees and the muscle pain was truly awful. My Consultant said it would take 3 years for the damage to repair but it took 6 years - which was actually this September. My muscle strength is now back to what it was pre-statins and I can now, since the end of September, walk up and down stairs without holding the bannisters most of the time.

My Consultant said that once the damage was repaired we will try a different statin. I think I will pass on that particular experiment. My medical records now do state that I have a problem with simvastatin so hopefully I won't be railroaded into going on them again.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
I took them for over a year then stopped them for 6 months restarted again after talking to the nurse took them for 5 days got the aches and pains that go with them found I was struggling to walk without pain so stopped again still got pains etc but nothing compared to when I was taking statins