What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used all metric but the button was just stuck

I’ll try again later - perhaps it was just overloaded with people from the forum all trying at the same time after reading your post.
You guys just wanted lovable waist to height ratios:angelic: The weird difference in BMI using metric baffled me

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You guys just wanted lovable waist to height ratios:angelic: The weird difference in BMI using metric baffled me

I wanted to see what difference the postcode made. Was going to try with my UB and PL ones. Bizarre.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez BTW there is a British cookbook out on November 1 (paperback & Kindle) on Amazon called

"The Low-Carb Diabetes Cookbook: 100 delicious recipes to help control type 1 and reverse type 2 diabetes
by David Cavan (Author), Emma Porter (Author)". I believe Dr. Cavan ".

Here the blurb (it sounds good except for the use of the word "sufferer".

"You can reverse pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes when you change how you eat

International diabetes expert David Cavan has teamed up with food writer and diabetes sufferer Emma Porter to create 100 low-carb, healthy-fat recipes to help stabilise your blood glucose levels for good.

From simple breakfasts and tasty snacks to indulgent dinners and healthy desserts the authors will help you take control of your health and cook meals the whole family will enjoy. The recipes also help manage type 1 diabetes more effectively.

Recipes include:

Baked eggs in avocado with roasted fennel and tomatoes
One-pan blueberry pancake
Roasted aubergine and garlic salad with olive oil, basil and tomato
Mexican-style fajitas
Nutty mushroom risotto with bacon
Slow-roasted salt and pepper pulled pork
Orange and almond cake
Cherry, chocolate and coconut cream ice lollies."

It sounds good but I'd like there to be more recipes than 100.

Also although not specifically diabetic, keto cookbook author Carolyn Ketchum is also diabetic, she mentions it in her books (gestational originally became Type 2 after the birth of her last child) and that's why she started cooking low carb/keto. However she doesn't go into the benefits of low carb eating specifically for diabetics.

The diabetes cookbooks published by both the Canadian and American diabetes societies are full of carbs, written following their current "guidelines". I know Dr Fung had a thing on twitter a couple of months ago where he talked about borrowing some from his local public library and how bad they were.

I
Oh thank you so much for this! It sounds good. Recipes look bob on!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is Hallowe'en become a bigger thing in the UK the last 2 decades?

My younger cousin married a English fellow and they live in London, England (we have a smaller city also called London). About 20 years ago, they came here for a visit in late October with their then 2 children. Her children were really excited about the idea of a Canadian Hallowe'en and trick or treating (even though costumes here have to be big enough to go over a warm coat.) I remember hearing that trick or treating wasn't done there then. (We used to call it "shelling out" when I was a kid but the Canadian term has fallen in disuse and no one under 55 knows what that means anymore).

My then little niece was really excited to meet them because "they talk just like the kids in Harry Potter!".

I wonder about that too, @Chronicle_Cat . I've read older English novels about kids going around the neighborhood collecting a "penny for the Guy" for Bonfire Night, that always sounded a little like the trick-or-treating we did here when I was a kid. Only instead of candy the English kids got pennies!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you use fractions? My height in ft and ins needs fractions which stopped it working I changed to cms (187 from records although we make me slightly taller) and kgs

Ah! I didn’t use fractions but did use a decimal point for weight in Kg - rounding it up or down made it work ok.
BMI 20.8 if rounded down and 21.2 if rounded up. This is comparible to the nhs.uk bmi calculator (21)

Average for women my age is 28.3

The difference in postcode is more about my neighbours - in London 52% of people like me are overweight but in Cornwall 54% are. So I’ll look slimmer in Cornwall!

All very interesting. Thanks for posting.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to the Hallowe'en party and behaved very badly. Ate mini-chocolates including maltballs, fried shrimp, mac&cheese nugget, and a glass of sangria with orange. Only a little of each of those, but still. Now I'm home trying to compensate with sardines for the spike of 10.2 that left me very hungry. :banghead:
'

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez BTW there is a British cookbook out on November 1 (paperback & Kindle) on Amazon called

"The Low-Carb Diabetes Cookbook: 100 delicious recipes to help control type 1 and reverse type 2 diabetes
by David Cavan (Author), Emma Porter (Author)". I believe Dr. Cavan ".

Here the blurb (it sounds good except for the use of the word "sufferer".

"You can reverse pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes when you change how you eat

International diabetes expert David Cavan has teamed up with food writer and diabetes sufferer Emma Porter to create 100 low-carb, healthy-fat recipes to help stabilise your blood glucose levels for good.

From simple breakfasts and tasty snacks to indulgent dinners and healthy desserts the authors will help you take control of your health and cook meals the whole family will enjoy. The recipes also help manage type 1 diabetes more effectively.

Recipes include:

Baked eggs in avocado with roasted fennel and tomatoes
One-pan blueberry pancake
Roasted aubergine and garlic salad with olive oil, basil and tomato
Mexican-style fajitas
Nutty mushroom risotto with bacon
Slow-roasted salt and pepper pulled pork
Orange and almond cake
Cherry, chocolate and coconut cream ice lollies."

It sounds good but I'd like there to be more recipes than 100.

Also although not specifically diabetic, keto cookbook author Carolyn Ketchum is also diabetic, she mentions it in her books (gestational originally became Type 2 after the birth of her last child) and that's why she started cooking low carb/keto. However she doesn't go into the benefits of low carb eating specifically for diabetics.

The diabetes cookbooks published by both the Canadian and American diabetes societies are full of carbs, written following their current "guidelines". I know Dr Fung had a thing on twitter a couple of months ago where he talked about borrowing some from his local public library and how bad they were.

I

I’ve got. Carolyn Ketchum book and quite like it

This new book looks interesting too, but like you say it would be nice to have more than 100 recipes. I suppose thd nutritional info for each recipe is given?

I’ve also tried taking Cookbooks for diabetes out if the library but failed to find a single one that didn’t have a ton of carbs in - all ‘healthy carbs’ of course!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cam Newton and Bo Jackson are two I remember. Cam plays for the Carolina Panthers. Bo played for LA and also played baseball. The two big name players way back when I was at Auburn, Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley, went on to play for Atlanta and San Francisco. There are some currently playing on NFL teams now I think but I don't follow pro football. (I don't watch much college football either, it's the 2nd most boring variety of football on earth. :D I just like Auburn to win, and I will watch when they play Georgia next month, oldest college football rivalry in the South).
Wow, I have certainly heard of Cam Newton and Bo Jackson was a star at both NFL and Basball (All Star in both). Clearly a good programme going there.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, I have certainly heard of Cam Newton and Bo Jackson was a star at both NFL and Basball (All Star in both). Clearly a good programme going there.

For that you deserve a hearty "War Eagle!" :)

I wish we were having a better season this year. At #4, with Georgia and Alabama to play in November and they're both at #1 in their divisions.

My BG is back down to 5.1 tonight after a nap (that was some party!).

Last edited: