Low Carb cough sweets, please?

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fellow Low-Carbers, what do you do if you get a cold/sore throat and require a cough sweet, please?

Thanks in advance...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the occasional sugar free Strepsil, but for the non medicated approach I drink hot sugar free squash.

Reactions: pdmjoker

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find chocolate more effective than cough sweets. A small square of 100%, or 90% slowly melting in the mouth works well. Especially in the middle of the night.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried quite a few sugar free cough sweets over the years and found that they all leave a nasty coating on my teeth and a yucky taste in my mouth, I find the best sweets if I have to have one are ricola or sula brands are the best. Sula do a liquorice flavour which is good.

My go to thing though isvPukka lemon, ginger and honey tea - very soothing and comforting- also sugar free black currant squash made with hot water is nice too

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried quite a few sugar free cough sweets over the years and found that they all leave a nasty coating on my teeth and a yucky taste in my mouth, I find the best sweets if I have to have one are ricola or sula brands are the best. Sula do a liquorice flavour which is good.

My go to thing though isvPukka lemon, ginger and honey tea - very soothing and comforting- also sugar free black currant squash made with hot water is nice too
Very helpful, thank you!

D

Deleted member 308541

If I get a bit throaty I suck on Fisherman's Friend Original, they have less than 1 grams carbs per lozenge.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I get a bit throaty I suck on Fisherman's Friend Original, they have less than 1 grams carbs per lozenge.
Thank you. They say "Each 25g pack contains approximately 20 lozenges" and they are 94.69% carb, so are just 1.18g carb each. Handy!

D

Deleted member 308541

Thank you. They say 1.2g carb each vs my 1.18 and they confirm 20 lozenges in a 25g pack.
Now it has got light in my office, I can see what it says on the packet I have, one lozenge equals 1.1 gram.

Here's a pix of the packet.

o97dXp8.jpg

liz 2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ricola Swiss Herbal Sweets - various flavours. Liquorice good for coughs