Low carb high fibre help please

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I tend to be a lurker on here but after a blood pressure check with the nurse yesterday, I could do with some help/advice please.:bookworm:

We discussed my weight (it doesn't fluctuate but there is too much of it) and what I eat. She agreed its a very healthy diet but thinks I have too much protein and not enough fibre. So, I want/need to eat more fibre (and probably less protein?) without increasing my carb intake more than is necessary.
I eat low carb and want to keep doing so but she was suggesting things like shredded wheat, wholewheat instead of white bread/pasta and potatoes (with skin on).
The bread I eat is a low carb one and if we have pasta it's the fresh egg type.

This is my typical diet:
Brekkie: scrambled eggs with a combination of ham/tomato/cheese/mushroom or protein bagel/toast. "fry up" (grilled) as an occasional weekend treat
Lunch: salad - combination of ham, broccoli, cauli, radish, red pepper, endemame bean, feta, babycorn, cucumber
Tea: lots of quorn (hubby is veggie, I'm not) cauli-rice, egg pasta, various veg, chicken, pork

Sorry if this is a waffle but and suggestions advice is gratefully received.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @MrsMoose I am not a dietary expert, but your current diet sounds fine, sounds like they are trying to guide you down the 'eatwell plate' route, which is old information and unhelpful IMO, I would only change diet if there was a digestion issue requiring more fibre.

I also have a philosophy that if it isn't broke then don't fix it, so if your current diet is keeping your blood glucose levels down then why change to incorporate more carbs which will push your levels higher, that doesn't make sense.

bigsi1984

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Try almonds. High fat and lower protein and carbs. Tons of fibre. There are studies that suggest 28g of almonds (small handful) after a meal will help reduce blood sugar. Give it a try.

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both - I don't want to increase my carbs, but am wondering if I do need to increase my fibre (I've never really taken note of how much fibre I consume but my digestion is working ok).

I love almonds, will definitely try that!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I aim for 30g fibre a day within a 35-50g carbs a day diet and have various high fibre low carb go to’s that I include
- Shiritaki noodles ( smell disgusting until you rinse them - its the liquid they come in that smells )
- Chia seeds
- Hebba Pap
- Psyllium
- Adonis nut bars
I also eat a handful of almonds most days
Yesterday for example, for my main meals I made a) wild mushroom and smoked tofu sauce with shiritaki noodles b) plain soya yogurt with mixed berries, chia seeds and toasted almonds and c) hebba pap “porridge”
That little lot provided 885 cals, 23g carbs and 34g fibre

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try almonds. High fat and lower protein and carbs. Tons of fibre. There are studies that suggest 28g of almonds (small handful) after a meal will help reduce blood sugar. Give it a try.
almonds (and fibre) also feature in the portfolio diet, which is reported to be beneficial wrt cholesterol
https://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-and-weight-loss/what-foods-are-included-in-the-portfolio-diet
I personally wouldnt eat stanols / sterols but the advice re soluble fibre, soy and nuts makes sense

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, my bunnies dinner? I'll have a chat with them later, see if they'll share...;)
Did the nurse bother to explain why "more fibre" or for that matter why she thought you were having too much protein?

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want/need to lose some weight and she thinks too much protein is 'binding' me up and I need more fibre to push things though.
I'm pretty regular but we didn't actually discuss that!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want/need to lose some weight and she thinks too much protein is 'binding' me up and I need more fibre to push things though.
I'm pretty regular but we didn't actually discuss that!
Sounds like she has no idea.. probably best ignored..

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Coconut flour -- 35% fiber, Low GI around 20, 21.4 netcarb per 100g -- adding a small amount to your LC bread recipes makes a huge diff in fiber content.
Flax meal -- 30% fiber, very low GI around 10, 7.5 netcarb per 100g -- even better for carb-to-fiber ratio
Lupin/Lupini beans -- 36.7% fiber, very low GI around 5, 3.3 netcarb per 100g
Chia -- 34% fiber, very low GI around 5, 8 netcarb per 100g
Sesame/tahini has more fiber than almonds, about same netcarbs, though slightly higher GI but still low

Reactions: lindijanice

Jeff d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks both - I don't want to increase my carbs, but am wondering if I do need to increase my fibre (I've never really taken note of how much fibre I consume but my digestion is working ok).

I'm having a spoonful of inulin , chia seeds, flaxseed and psyllium here and there . I've just started with psyllium so no report yet . Apparently a max of 30g fibre per day .

Michellenz

I agree with an earlier reply- if it’s not broken, don’t fix it. If your gut is fine, leave well alone.
You don’t mention fats in your current eating.
I found it easy to go all out in fats on low carb, and found that having more moderate portions got the fat loss moving again.
And moving more has always helped me lose body fat if I’m eating well ( not at all if I’m eating poorly).

I’d be a little careful with nuts- they are the only food that has significant amounts of carbs, fats and proteins in the one place. Eat them, but remember a portion is only a few nuts!

aris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make a kind of low-carb bread to have with my weekend fry-ups.

2 tablespoon ground flax
3 tablespoons ground almonds
1/8 teaspoon of baking powder
1 large egg

Mix dry ingredients, then mix in the egg very well.

Place in microwave for 90 seconds

I mix and cook this in a large Pyrex jug (so I get more of a round crumpet shape than square bread). Goes very nicely with a mouthful of egg and bacon.

The flax and almond will give you a fair bit of fibre.

Other thing you can do is chia seeds.

2 tablespoons chia seeds
150ml milk (unsweetened almond milk works too)
Flavouring (cocoa powder, vanilla essence, or whatever)
Sweetener if you like that.

Put it all in a cup
Let it sit for about 15 mins. Then mix it very well with a fork. You will note that it has formed a jelly-like clump. Mix it to free all that and make it smooth. Then put in the fridge for several more hours, and you can eat it any time after that. You can do this the night before if you want it for breakfast.

Loads of fibre in that.

Reactions: Gargoyletaz