1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Privacy is important: just a reminder that your posts can be seen by members of the public Guest.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb high fibre help please

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by MrsMoose, Nov 9, 2018 at 10:03 AM.

1. MrsMoose

MrsMoose Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello,

I tend to be a lurker on here but after a blood pressure check with the nurse yesterday, I could do with some help/advice please.:bookworm:

We discussed my weight (it doesn't fluctuate but there is too much of it) and what I eat. She agreed its a very healthy diet but thinks I have too much protein and not enough fibre. So, I want/need to eat more fibre (and probably less protein?) without increasing my carb intake more than is necessary.
    I eat low carb and want to keep doing so but she was suggesting things like shredded wheat, wholewheat instead of white bread/pasta and potatoes (with skin on).
    The bread I eat is a low carb one and if we have pasta it's the fresh egg type.

This is my typical diet:
    Brekkie: scrambled eggs with a combination of ham/tomato/cheese/mushroom or protein bagel/toast. "fry up" (grilled) as an occasional weekend treat
    Lunch: salad - combination of ham, broccoli, cauli, radish, red pepper, endemame bean, feta, babycorn, cucumber
    Tea: lots of quorn (hubby is veggie, I'm not) cauli-rice, egg pasta, various veg, chicken, pork

Sorry if this is a waffle but and suggestions advice is gratefully received.

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @MrsMoose I am not a dietary expert, but your current diet sounds fine, sounds like they are trying to guide you down the 'eatwell plate' route, which is old information and unhelpful IMO, I would only change diet if there was a digestion issue requiring more fibre.

I also have a philosophy that if it isn't broke then don't fix it, so if your current diet is keeping your blood glucose levels down then why change to incorporate more carbs which will push your levels higher, that doesn't make sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bigsi1984

bigsi1984 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Try almonds. High fat and lower protein and carbs. Tons of fibre. There are studies that suggest 28g of almonds (small handful) after a meal will help reduce blood sugar. Give it a try.

4. MrsMoose

Thanks both - I don't want to increase my carbs, but am wondering if I do need to increase my fibre (I've never really taken note of how much fibre I consume but my digestion is working ok).

I love almonds, will definitely try that!

5. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

I aim for 30g fibre a day within a 35-50g carbs a day diet and have various high fibre low carb go to’s that I include
    - Shiritaki noodles ( smell disgusting until you rinse them - its the liquid they come in that smells )
    - Chia seeds
    - Hebba Pap
    - Psyllium
    - Adonis nut bars
    I also eat a handful of almonds most days
    Yesterday for example, for my main meals I made a) wild mushroom and smoked tofu sauce with shiritaki noodles b) plain soya yogurt with mixed berries, chia seeds and toasted almonds and c) hebba pap “porridge”
    That little lot provided 885 cals, 23g carbs and 34g fibre

• Agree Agree x 1
    #5 Boo1979, Nov 9, 2018 at 10:23 AM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 10:31 AM
  6. Boo1979

almonds (and fibre) also feature in the portfolio diet, which is reported to be beneficial wrt cholesterol
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-and-weight-loss/what-foods-are-included-in-the-portfolio-diet
    I personally wouldnt eat stanols / sterols but the advice re soluble fibre, soy and nuts makes sense

#6 Boo1979, Nov 9, 2018 at 10:36 AM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 12:32 PM
  7. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Chuck some spinach or spring greens into your dinner and you'll be alright I reckon :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MrsMoose

So, my bunnies dinner? I'll have a chat with them later, see if they'll share...;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry I low carb in a mostly vegetarian way ie steal all the bunny's food LMAO

10. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

Did the nurse bother to explain why "more fibre" or for that matter why she thought you were having too much protein?

11. MrsMoose

I want/need to lose some weight and she thinks too much protein is 'binding' me up and I need more fibre to push things though.
    I'm pretty regular but we didn't actually discuss that!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

Sounds like she has no idea.. probably best ignored..

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Boo1979

14. Bananas 2

Bananas 2 Parent · Well-Known Member

Coconut flour -- 35% fiber, Low GI around 20, 21.4 netcarb per 100g -- adding a small amount to your LC bread recipes makes a huge diff in fiber content.
    Flax meal -- 30% fiber, very low GI around 10, 7.5 netcarb per 100g -- even better for carb-to-fiber ratio
    Lupin/Lupini beans -- 36.7% fiber, very low GI around 5, 3.3 netcarb per 100g
    Chia -- 34% fiber, very low GI around 5, 8 netcarb per 100g
    Sesame/tahini has more fiber than almonds, about same netcarbs, though slightly higher GI but still low

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook