Frequency for Hbalc ...

Burcham1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed back in October, 2014, luckily found this site and got started that very day in lowering my BS. For the first three years, I had three-monthly blood tests and then, on advice from the practice nurse, started having six monthly as my blood sugar readings were back to normal (six months ago it was 36).

Went along today. Saw the phlebotomist and she wouldn’t do the test, saying I was somewhat over-reacting by having them more than once a year.

I was fuming as I had taken control immediately on Pre-D diagnosis. I lost two stones and was back to normal readings within 4 months. I test at home. I have done my bit. All I am asking is for my surgery to do the same. Am I asking too much? Should I ask to see the Practice Manager.

Last edited:

Burcham1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was previously known as Lynn1 on this site, but can’t get into that page anymore for some reason.

PolarBear81

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would question why the phlebotomist is not doing a test which your nurse has asked for. The majority of the time the phlebs are not qualified nurses (unless it's extra over time for a qualified nurse). Even if they happen to be a qualified nurse on that occasion they are not in that job role, they are just there to take blood and so should do it. If I were you I would take it up with the practice manager or your nurse just incase there's something on the system that says you should have it yearly and you were told otherwise.
I happen to have the opposite in that the system had 'normal results and no further action needed' without the comment of repeat in a year. It was only by me being on the ball with my care and then arguing with the receptionist, who then spoke to the nurse practitioner, that they then put me back on the 'to monitor yearly' watch list and did my a1c.

Reactions: Prem51 and AloeSvea

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Once my HbA1c came down, I started having less frequent HbA1c tests. They want to see me once per year, but I just ring up and make an appointment every 6 months as it keeps me on my toes if I've got a pending HbA1c.

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Given what we save the NHS in drugs and complications an HbA1c every y months seems reasonable!

Reactions: Prem51

Burcham1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly! I acted immediately. Took control and was praised by my old GP for doing so.

I am SO angry and will be making an appointment to see the Practice Manager tomorrow.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always been on annual blood tests, ever since diagnosis.

Edit: I was offered one at the 6 month stage this time because I stopped taking Metformin but I didn't bother going as I self test anyway and didn't see the point of the NHS wasting the money on an extra test for me.

Burcham1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is fair enough if you are happy with that and it keeps you on track. Personally, I don’t think asking for a blood test twice a year is asking too much given the cost of treatment/complications had I ignored my original diagnosis of being Pre-D. I took RESPONSIBILITY thereby saving the NHS a fortune somewhere down the line. Isn’t that what we keep being asked to do?

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is fair enough if you are happy with that and it keeps you on track. Personally, I don’t think asking for a blood test twice a year is asking too much given the cost of treatment/complications had I ignored my original diagnosis of being Pre-D.
Totally agree with you. Sorry I didn't mean it to sound like I was arguing with you. :)

I had my bloods taken yesterday, I asked for full lipids, including trigs ( as that's the most important fig. to me) and was refused, so I asked them not to bother with testing any cholesterol levels at all as it's a waste of time only testing some levels but not trigs. I did have trigs tested last year and will ask again next year. Maybe they will do a deal and save money by not testing cholesterol on alternate years yet stump up for the full breakdown every 2 years. ( yep, looking for the flying pigs...):)

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My previous diabetic nurse seemed content to let me hover in prediabetic levels at a time when I wasn’t self-testing. Any time I went slightly over 48 I was put on 3-monthly tests and told to do something. But any time I was under (like even 1 point under), I got moved again to yearly tests.

My GP took over diabetic care last year which coincided with my major overdosing on carbs, though he didn’t take that into consideration. I got 76 down to 48 in 3 months while he was still figuring out if I was type 1 or what was happening. Once he heard I was self testing and obviously something had worked, he did one alteration to a six-month review and now I’m yearly again. Which is fine by both of us as he did ask me - but only because I’ve had years of some form of diabetes, we’re both confident with what I’m doing and I’m not on any meds that might need reviewing.

I think you have to be happy with the rate of
testing and six months is not at all unreasonable. I had to argue with my GP’s receptionist for the three-month review (‘Oh, we only do yearly reviews’) even though he’d ordered it, so it is always worth following up.

Reactions: zand

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is fair enough if you are happy with that and it keeps you on track. Personally, I don’t think asking for a blood test twice a year is asking too much given the cost of treatment/complications had I ignored my original diagnosis of being Pre-D. I took RESPONSIBILITY thereby saving the NHS a fortune somewhere down the line. Isn’t that what we keep being asked to do?

Burcham - On the assumption you had the paperwork requesting an A1c test, my view would be that it isn't up to any phlebotomist to decide whether a blood test is valid for me. It is up the the person signing the paperwork.

Regarding your other account, Burcham, please email your user name and the email associated with it to [email protected] and that can be investigated. We should be able to reacquaint you with your old account.

Reactions: zand

Burcham1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There was no paperwork. I telephoned the receptionist and requested an appointment, in the same way as I have for the last year or so. This afternoon I have discovered the girl I saw was NOT a phlebotomist, but a Healthcare Assistant.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had been having HbA1cs every three months then it went to six, I recently had a three monthly again as we were juggling with my meds. However I have now been moved to annual. In my heart I would like to stay on more frequent tests but am confident that I’ll spot any problem myself as I test at home. So I’m content that I’m now saving the NHS a little bit more money :)

Reactions: Debandez and zand

Burcham1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had been having HbA1cs every three months then it went to six, I recently had a three monthly again as we were juggling with my meds. However I have now been moved to annual. In my heart I would like to stay on more frequent tests but am confident that I’ll spot any problem myself as I test at home. So I’m content that I’m now saving the NHS a little bit more money :)

Burcham1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rachox: My argument is that I’m saving the NHS a lot of money by taking responsibility and requesting bi-annual blood tests. I test at home. I’d just like to have the confirmation from an HbA1c that my BS levels remain normal.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rachox: My argument is that I’m saving the NHS a lot of money by taking responsibility and requesting bi-annual blood tests. I test at home. I’d just like to have the confirmation from an HbA1c that my BS levels remain normal.

I do understand as I recently went to annual testing, it does feel a little like I’ve been abandoned :wideyed: But with the limited resources available in the NHS, even though I will undoubtedly save the NHS money in the future, why not save them a little bit more now too if I can?
If I feel I need reassurance half way round the year I might splash out on an A1cNow and check myself.

Reactions: Prem51 and Debandez

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For Type 2's, the NICE recommendations are we should be tested at least 6 monthly until our blood sugars are stable and our medication is suitable and stable, then annually. It is also recommended 3 monthly initially. For pre-diabetics I believe the norm is 12 monthly.

Burcham1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For Type 2's, the NICE recommendations are we should be tested at least 6 monthly until our blood sugars are stable and our medication is suitable and stable, then annually. It is also recommended 3 monthly initially. For pre-diabetics I believe the norm is 12 monthly.
Bluetit: For my peace of mind/reassurance, I really don’t think two blood tests a year is asking too much. I always test at home but, surely, that is just a snap-shot and can’t compare to the accuracy of HbA1c testing?

I’ll chat it through with the Practice Manager.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit: For my peace of mind/reassurance, I really don’t think two blood tests a year is asking too much. I always test at home but, surely, that is just a snap-shot and can’t compare to the accuracy of HbA1c testing?

I’ll chat it through with the Practice Manager.

Personal choice of course, but for me I prefer regular and frequenht finger pricks or wearing a Libre. I take virtually no notice of my HbA1c because of various reasons. If you end up with annual ones, you could always do a home HbA1c test. Many of us have used A1cNow, which you can find on Google. It is as accurate as anything else. You can buy 1 pack, which contains 2 tests and all the stuff you need. It is just a finger prick test.

What makes you think the HbA1c is accurate? In my case it is anything but.