GP changing my meter to save money

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had a letter today from my GP surgery saying that due to cost diabetics in my area are being put on a cheaper meter. We are being "standardised. I have looked it up, t he TEE2, and the thing that really stands out is that the lancing device uses individual lancets instead of what I am using now, a drum of 6. This is ludicrous! This is like going back in time 20 odd years! What is the point of all this new diabetes technology in making things safer and easier and more comfortable for us if we are just going to be put on a bog standard meter? For example, Accu Chek Mobile, you don't even need strips or a finger pricker, it is all in one. Someone needs to tell all these manufacturers of meters that it is a waste of time making fancy new ones!

Don't get me wrong, I know the NHS is in dire straits but it sticks in my throat when Flash glucose monitoring is made more widely available on prescription for diabetics who are struggling and that is great, but what about us run of the mill every day diabetics who are good diabetics, test regularly, don't ask for much, just a meter they are used to and happy with...oh no, you are going to have the bog standard meter. Not as if we DEPEND and RELY on them like the insulin we take. After 38 years of testing, I am disgusted.

D

Deleted Account

Lancing devices can be used with any meter.
Has your GP removed your multi-click lancets (the drum of 6) from your prescription? If not, you can continue to use them and just change the meter and test strips.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is the CCGs demanding this type of change, number crunchers the lot of them. They pay no mind to quality of life. I looked at the CoI info on the members of my local CCG and it was a case of trying to find a member who worked soley for the NHS, almost all owned or were partners in a private practice.

BloodThirsty

Just a thought, but if NH Trusts continue to seek out cheaper options, might this induce strip manufacturers to bring their prices more in line with such opposition?

As things stand there is little incentive for those with large supply contracts to concern themselves with the grizzles of the insignificant self funders.

However I totally sympathise with you. I know the test equipment that I have confidence in and would be royally p***** off if I had to change.

However, as one of the aforementioned self funders I continue to grizzle and hope that commercial pressures eventually take effect.

In the meanwhile there's always eBay.

Reactions: Prem51

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a Tee2 as a back up meter and have found it pretty accurate - it agrees with the NHS provided meter almost exactly which is more than can be said for the previous nhs provided meter which always produced results leading to an estimated hba1c much higher than the lab results.
Its a royal pain in the derrier when the NHS change our equipment etc and yes changing to different meters is wholly financially driven, but cheaper doesnt necessarily mean inferior

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You could consider an appeal, direct to your CCG, they will have a published enquires email address. My daily driver is the Accu Chek Mobile also, which I find to be both accurate and convenient. I think the accuracy of the other brand is not as good in my experience, hence why it is gathering dust in draw.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type one, you’re entitled to have a meter of your choice.
How do you argue with your GP who says he is being forced by the local health authority to issue only specific meter/strips to reduce cost? I am stuck with a meter/strips which is difficult to use especially in bad light because the meter and strips are all black!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How do you argue with your GP who says he is being forced by the local health authority to issue only specific meter/strips to reduce cost? I am stuck with a meter/strips which is difficult to use especially in bad light because the meter and strips are all black!
Do you have a hospital team? Give them a call, they should be able to advocate for you - mine did. I got given a cheap meter by my GP surgery for the same reasons, and because the results couldn’t be downloaded off it, my hospital team literally chucked it in the bin as it was useless. From the NICE website:

DA86DD43-0B51-4142-BD8D-E15F84A0B50C.jpeg

So if you can’t see the thing to use it, it doesn’t meet your needs. Did you previous one have a bolus calculator? You could also insist on one that has that, because you need to dose insulin.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know this particular meter but as cost the NHS an enormous amount of money we need to go along with sensible CCG demands. My surgery standardised on the MyLife Pura which has low-cost strips and is fine. It has a standard lancer design.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't believe you are

1.6.17 When choosing blood glucose meters:

• take the needs of the adult with type 1 diabetes into account

• ensure that meters meet current ISO standards. [new 2015]
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

which seems to say a T1D can argue the need for additional functions to a basic meter, but only within certain parameters.
An internet search shows that many Health Authorities have selected a range of suitable meters, different for T1s and T2s.
Geoff

D

Deleted member 308541

We are being "standardised. I have looked it up, t he TEE2, and the thing that really stands out is that the lancing device uses individual lancets instead of what I am using now, a drum of 6. This is ludicrous!
Accu-Chek lancing devices such as Multiclix and Fastclix can be used with brand of meter, I use mine with a Abbot Freedom Lite meter. The six drum lancets for both are reasonably priced as well.

I am stuck with a meter/strips which is difficult to use especially in bad light because the meter and strips are all black!
I would like to see black strips as I searched and could not find any, my Abbot strips have a butterfly on them...

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accu-Chek lancing devices such as Multiclix and Fastclix can be used with brand of meter, I use mine with a Abbot Freedom Lite meter. The six drum lancets for both are reasonably priced as well.
a

I would like to see black strips as I searched and could not find any, my Abbot strips have a butterfly on them...

i have been put on AgaMatrix Wavesense Jazz strips — and they are black!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I use the TEE2+ now as the strips are cheaper than the Accu Chek Mobile I used previously and as a T2 I have to self fund. But I continue to use the Accu Chek Fastclix pricker. As I only change the lancet after every 50 uses (sometimes more) it doesn't work out too dear.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a well controlled T2 I am not even allowed metformin to help me lose weight...at a cost of 43.5p a week and yet I am constantly told to lose weight. :rolleyes:

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It is the CCGs demanding this type of change, number crunchers the lot of them. They pay no mind to quality of life. I looked at the CoI info on the members of my local CCG and it was a case of trying to find a member who worked soley for the NHS, almost all owned or were partners in a private practice.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Totally agree. I just spoke to the manager at my doctors surgery and she said even if the strips are only 50 pence cheaper they will go for them, no question. They don't see us as individuals. I'm visually impaired and am going to state my case...I cannot use the TEE finger pricker and lancets...yes they are even quibbling about me keeping just those from my existing set up.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use a Tee2 as a back up meter and have found it pretty accurate - it agrees with the NHS provided meter almost exactly which is more than can be said for the previous nhs provided meter which always produced results leading to an estimated hba1c much higher than the lab results.
Its a royal pain in the derrier when the NHS change our equipment etc and yes changing to different meters is wholly financially driven, but cheaper doesnt necessarily mean inferior