GP changing my meter to save money

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for replying, so you would say it is pretty accurate? I read some stuff about it not being accurate so it is very helpful if you say it is. But I also read on Diabetes UK Website that it was designed with Type 2 in mind and for those who test infrequently? I am so stressed about it all.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You could consider an appeal, direct to your CCG, they will have a published enquires email address. My daily driver is the Accu Chek Mobile also, which I find to be both accurate and convenient. I think the accuracy of the other brand is not as good in my experience, hence why it is gathering dust in draw.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I may have to do that. I just do not understand why all these different meters are around supposedly making life easiwer for us then the GP can come along and say no you're having this cheaper one. It is illogical and wrong. My own diabetes nurse team don't want to know, nor does Diabetes UK who were totally nonplussed when I spoke to the Careline.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well not according to my doctor! Is that in writing anywhere? I am going to find it hard to just get them to let me stick with my own finger pricker!

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know that Multiclix and Fastclix drums can be used with any meter, but when I asked if it would be possible to stick with them but have the new meter and strips, even that was met with "well they're trying to cut costs across the board, not just with the strips£. I am really going to have to argue my case as a visually impaired person, I can't go back to individual lancets with tiny tops to screw back on!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My line of arguement with the Gp if I was a T1, would be about the potential dangers of not having a meter that is able to check ketones given the risks of DKA and the unreliability of pee sticks for measuring ketone levels
Edited to add
Most / all NHS areas / CCGs will have ha list of approved meters. The guidelines should differentiate betwee what is appropriate / prescribable for different type of diabetes eg these are the ones for Birmingham and surrounding areas
http://www.birminghamandsurroundsformulary.nhs.uk/docs/acg/GUIDELINES FOR CHOICE OF BLOOD GLUCOSE METERS FINAL AND SMBG.PDF
These are for another
http://www.barkingdagenhamccg.nhs.uk/downloads/For-health-professionals/Medicines-management/Guidance/Blood Glucose Meter recommendations for GP practices APC final version.pdf
Have a Google for your areas reccomendations / dictats

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type one, you’re entitled to have a meter of your choice.

Now that is interesting Mel, I was given one by my Dr and the strips for it. When I bought a better one they refused to give me the strips for it on prescription saying they would only provide the strips for the one THEY gave me.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Now that is interesting Mel, I was given one by my Dr and the strips for it. When I bought a better one they refused to give me the strips for it on prescription saying they would only provide the strips for the one THEY gave me.
Well, it’s certainly the case where i am in Wales. Perhaps it’s different in England?

D

Deleted member 308541

I know that Multiclix and Fastclix drums can be used with any meter, but when I asked if it would be possible to stick with them but have the new meter and strips, even that was met with "well they're trying to cut costs across the board, not just with the strips£. I am really going to have to argue my case as a visually impaired person, I can't go back to individual lancets with tiny tops to screw back on!
I buy my own Multiclix and Fastclix lancet drums, they are not that expensive to buy if you want to keep on using them.

Mickyduff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, it’s certainly the case where i am in Wales. Perhaps it’s different in England?
I'm in Derby, and I also got told that, as a type 1, I can use any meter I like.
For type 2 they provide a 'standard' one which they provide, and you have no choice over.

Reactions: LooperCat

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in Derby, and I also got told that, as a type 1, I can use any meter I like.
For type 2 they provide a 'standard' one which they provide, and you have no choice over.
I don't think many T2s get a free meter, most have to self fund and can therefore choose which one to use.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think many T2s get a free meter, most have to self fund and can therefore choose which one to use.
Depends what meds youre on. With Glilazide or insulin T2s should get a meter (see NICE guidelines) but with other meds or diet control its unlikely that meters will be provided. Some GPs give the meters to newly diagnosed T2s (the Gp practices get them free from the manafacturers any way) but then wont prescribe strips beyond an initial 1 or 2 tubs to help wih initial diet planning / monitoring and understanding trends etc

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for replying, so you would say it is pretty accurate? I read some stuff about it not being accurate so it is very helpful if you say it is. But I also read on Diabetes UK Website that it was designed with Type 2 in mind and for those who test infrequently? I am so stressed about it all.
I don't think the TEE2+ (orTEE2) is completely accurate. They both seem to read a bit lower than my Accu Chek Mobile - only about by 0.2 mmol/L, but obviously that could be a problem for T1s who are calculating their insulin dose. It doesn't matter too much for T2s not using insulin who are only monitoring their bgs.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think the TEE2+ (orTEE2) is completely accurate. They both seem to read a bit lower than my Accu Chek Mobile - only about by 0.2 mmol/L, but obviously that could be a problem for T1s who are calculating their insulin dose. It doesn't matter too much for T2s not using insulin who are only monitoring their bgs.
Or your Accu Chek Mobile is reading too high. If the three meters are within 0.2 mmol/L that is well within tolerance.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a letter today from my GP surgery saying that due to cost diabetics in my area are being put on a cheaper meter. We are being "standardised. I have looked it up, t he TEE2, and the thing that really stands out is that the lancing device uses individual lancets instead of what I am using now, a drum of 6. This is ludicrous! This is like going back in time 20 odd years! What is the point of all this new diabetes technology in making things safer and easier and more comfortable for us if we are just going to be put on a bog standard meter? For example, Accu Chek Mobile, you don't even need strips or a finger pricker, it is all in one. Someone needs to tell all these manufacturers of meters that it is a waste of time making fancy new ones!

Don't get me wrong, I know the NHS is in dire straits but it sticks in my throat when Flash glucose monitoring is made more widely available on prescription for diabetics who are struggling and that is great, but what about us run of the mill every day diabetics who are good diabetics, test regularly, don't ask for much, just a meter they are used to and happy with...oh no, you are going to have the bog standard meter. Not as if we DEPEND and RELY on them like the insulin we take. After 38 years of testing, I am disgusted.
Dr changed my meter as well to the true you meter. It kept losing readings and wS hopeless at downloading data. I actually self funded for the contour next one after my HbA1c went from 50 to 64! The doc finally agreed with me and now prescribes the test strips for me yay success. My HbA1c is going down now thank goodness.

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Can you clarify which part of the country you are in, please? Not all parts of the NHS are the same and I do not want to comment unless I know the Scottish NHS is the part you are referring to. It is a rather different ball game.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All meters have to be accurate to within +/- 15%.