can type 1 diabetes be controlled with diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
If I understand the gist of the OP's argument correctly, he is suggesting that Type 1 diabetics could survive by using diet so that the liver generates the glucose needed rather than ingesting carbohydrates which require insulin. However, having generated the glucose surely insulin is still needed to make use of it?
Hi

I know of a (woman?) who helps run this forum who lived for years with type 1 diabetes using diet until (ammonia?) from protein caught up with her. My question comes down to can you take care of protein either by eating so little protein that the body doesn't need to process the protein into urea and/or can you test as you diet and see if you need to do something (take an insulin injection very occasionally or something else).

Hotpepper20000

Hi

I know of a (woman?) who helps run this forum who lived for years with type 1 diabetes using diet until (ammonia?) from protein caught up with her. My question comes down to can you take care of protein either by eating so little protein that the body doesn't need to process the protein into urea and/or can you test as you diet and see if you need to do something (take an insulin injection very occasionally or something else).
No
In order to live you need insulin. If you are type1 the body does not produce insulin so it is necessary to inject.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi

A person with Type 1 Diabetes must use insulin, it cannot be managed by diet alone. This is an incontrovertible fact.

Your knowledge of Diabetes of any type shows a naivete that is quite surprising. I am now leaving the discussion as your musings are no longer interesting.

Reactions: PseudoBob77

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
No
In order to live you need insulin. If you are type1 the body does not produce insulin so it is necessary to inject.
Hi

What does the body use insulin for except to have cells change sugar into fat or process insulin. I am unaware of anything else. If you know of something tell me.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Actually my fasting blood sugar rose as I stayed on this diet. The liver changes fat into sugar. I assume I also start using fat directly but I have never checked.
Neil

If I understand the gist of the OP's argument correctly, he is suggesting that Type 1 diabetics could survive by using diet so that the liver generates the glucose needed rather than ingesting carbohydrates which require insulin. However, having generated the glucose surely insulin is still needed to make use of it?

Yep - no means to use glucose, if you don't have insulin. At least not as we understand metabolism today.
The theory mentioned here doesn't seem too trustworthy, if we do not get to see any scientific background to what is suggested...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi

I have a rare (in the U.K.) form of reactive hypoglycemia. I completely control my problem with a very low-carb diet. I guess I have been doing this for over 12 years. I have genetics (there are a bunch of us) so that I do not lose weight on a low-carb diet. I am presently losing weight by removing as much fat from my diet as practicable. I am simulating a severe type 2 diabetic on a low-carb diet. The reason people lose weight on a low-carb diet is that you produce insulin to process protein. Once insulin is in the blood it starts getting cells to change sugar into fat. I have concluded that all humans can produce hormones which create temporary type 2 diabetes. You may have to produce these hormones or you will get very low blood sugar. In any case you end up with lower blood sugar than the body is comfortable with. Your liver changes fat into sugar and releases it to raise your blood sugar. Changing sugar into fat and then changing fat into sugar is very energy intensive. You use energy and lose weight. Since I can control my reactive hypoglycemia it implies type 2 diabetics can control their problem with diet. Type 1 diabetics have the additional problem of processing protein. What is the test(s) which sees if you have too much ammonia or other byproducts of not processing protein? If you have type 1 diabetes can you limit ingesting protein enough so that you can control your type 1 diabetes and/or can you detect when you are having problems and quickly get back on a good track?[/QUOTE ?? :wacky:

I do control my type 1 diabetes by taking Insulin, it's a necessity

Can type 1 diabetes be controlled with diet ( just diet) ? .......................I wish, I wish, I wish, but No

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Yep - no means to use glucose, if you don't have insulin. At least not as we understand metabolism today.
The theory mentioned here doesn't seem too trustworthy, if we do not get to see any scientific background to what is suggested...
Hi

We do not use insulin to use glucose. The cells just use it as is. Particularly the brain cells use a lot of glucose. I do not know the actual chemistry involved.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi

We do not use insulin to use glucose. The cells just use it as is. Particularly the brain cells use a lot of glucose. I do not know the actual chemistry involved.

Now you have stated that which you do not know. You need to learn a little before you do yourself some harm with the dietary approach you have taken. Without insulin glucose cannot enter the cell.
There is a process involving GLUT4 that can draw in glucose but this is in skeletal muscle.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

we do use insulin to put the glucose into the cells in our body, the insulin is kind of a key thing to make the glucose get in where it is needed or where it is stored in the cells , the liver until later use, in type 2 people seem often to have a many times raised insulin but our cells won't let the insulin work right or let it open the cells. I type 1 diabetes the insulin is used all day long also when not eating

no we can not live without injecting insulin when being a type 1 diabetic.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

only initially when the pancreas has not stopped totally working one can live on with almost not injecting insulin, but it is stupid not to inject insulin as it is a totally necessary substance in our body... our bodies do need insulin

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not lose weight on any standard low carb diet. I have to also cut the fats. In a low carb diet you are poring in the protein and that is why you lose weight. As your response indicates you may not have enough insulin release to warrant a hormone release. People with my genetics are putting out the hormones most of the time. I do not change sugar into fat when I process protein. When my blood sugar gets high my body cuts the hormones. In a glucose tolerance test I put out enough insulin to somewhat control my blood sugar but my body tests and only makes a large release of insulin when I have become less insulin resistance. People with my genetics wait over an hour during a glucose tolerance test before our bodies decide a major insulin release is justified. Women with my genetics are diabetic while pregnant. That is necessary since the method we use to stop the hormones would effect the same or very similar hormones produced in the placenta.

you obviously don´t know what you are talking about , you need to acknowledge that.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Now you have stated that which you do not know. You need to learn a little before you do yourself some harm with the dietary approach you have taken. Without insulin glucose cannot enter the cell.
There is a process involving GLUT4 that can draw in glucose but this is in skeletal muscle.
Hi

I have been living this way for over 12 years. My health has improved.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
you obviously don´t know what you are talking about , you need to acknowledge that.
Hi

A lot of Indian doctors and a few U.S. doctors have given my web site a 10 or thanked me. I get a lot of are you a health care professional. I advertise on google to health care professionals in the U.S. and India.. If you want to see my ad I can post it. I have been getting over an average of 700 views a day in India and about an average or 30 views a day in the U.S.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

Without insulin you can control your blood sugar by eating slowly digesting starches (people with reactive hypoglycemia do that) The only other problem I am aware of is that you need insulin to process excess protein into urea. If not you get a build up of ammonia and if you don't fix that you die. I do not know if you can control your protein intake and/or occasionally take insulin and/or some other treatment when you get out of balance. I have not heard from anyone who seems to know if that is a possible way to live. I was at a meeting where 1 woman just didn't seem to understand there are people who have to eat either a very low sugar/starch/alchol or only slowly digesting starches in order to avoid very debilitating fatigue (me). Somehow she thought I was eating my strange diet on a whim. I am unusual in my persistence, but I am not alone.

I can't believe I'm replying!
However, your first sentence is so wrong, as starch is a carb and being RH is carb intolerant! So eating starch in any form, is as bad as eating carbs itself and make your blood sugar levels bounce around. Which is the only thing that will make you feel better and stop the roller coaster ride of hypers and hypos!
You do not need or require more than background insulin and glucose which at normal blood sugar levels, your metabolism is at its best when continually in or around normal blood sugar levels. You don't need excess glucose for your brain.
Too much circulating insulin is bad for your health as well as consistent higher than normal blood sugar levels.
However, I have read a report from a university in the states that pregnant women and of course some T2s do get symptoms of reactive hypoglycaemia, not the actual condition, but symptoms.

You thesis, is just a theory, nothing more, RH is an endocrine condition.
It's the carbs and sugars!

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
only initially when the pancreas has not stopped totally working one can live on with almost not injecting insulin, but it is stupid not to inject insulin as it is a totally necessary substance in our body... our bodies do need insulin
Hi

1 of the (women?) who works for this site controlled type 1 diabetes for years until she got into trouble because she did not process excess protein. She now takes insulin for blood sugar and for protein.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

A lot of Indian doctors and a few U.S. doctors have given my web site a 10 or thanked me. I get a lot of are you a health care professional. I advertise on google to health care professionals in the U.S. and India.. If you want to see my ad I can post it. I have been getting over an average of 700 views a day in India and about an average or 30 views a day in the U.S.

I just hope you do not end up killing some hopeful type 1 that do hope to rid of the annoying task of measuring and injecting all day.. you are not allowed to advertise in here, and as your advice could end up killing people you actually ought be reported to the police as it is not legal to give such quack advice and act as if you were a healthcare-personal

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
I can't believe I'm replying!
However, your first sentence is so wrong, as starch is a carb and being RH is carb intolerant! So eating starch in any form, is as bad as eating carbs itself and make your blood sugar levels bounce around. Which is the only thing that will make you feel better and stop the roller coaster ride of hypers and hypos!
You do not need or require more than background insulin and glucose which at normal blood sugar levels, your metabolism is at its best when continually in or around normal blood sugar levels. You don't need excess glucose for your brain.
Too much circulating insulin is bad for your health as well as consistent higher than normal blood sugar levels.
However, I have read a report from a university in the states that pregnant women and of course some T2s do get symptoms of reactive hypoglycaemia, not the actual condition, but symptoms.

You thesis, is just a theory, nothing more, RH is an endocrine condition.
It's the carbs and sugars!
Hi

You don't believe all the people who post on the reactive hypoglycemia form.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
On low carb low fat low protein without losing weight?
Hi

If you are able to live on such a diet without losing weight you must have the "hunter" gene and/or load up on fat.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

That's a big 10-4! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.